BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1999 E46, 323i saloon CCFLs

2K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  Dev 
#1 ·
just recieved my set and just want a couple things clearing up before i have a go at fitting them,

do i need to remove front bumer or can headlights come off without , and i presume im supposed to heat the sealant up to pull the headlight screen off, do i just re warm it and press the screen back on when refitting?

thanks

#4 ·
lol, you have confused me!:lol
they are cliped together against a rubber seal!, i unclipped my under light trim, popped out the indicator, then undid the 5/6 clips, lense comes off, inner black trim comes out! easy!

if the saloon are sealed units i think i read a post about heat gun and carful presure,,, but please don't quote me on that, as you need to research it first! i don't want you taking my word for it alone. and possibly damage your car in the process:thumbsup

#7 ·
just a question neal, is there a reason you left the lower trim partially attached?

reason i ask is i had a right job working out how to get the other end out!, infact iirc i bent the metal a little on first removal!,:shifty:
had to push it back after i realised how to get it off:thumbsup

ps mine has a clear plastic strip from top of rind to either side that you put clips on and attch to top of light shroud!

#8 ·
Reason I left it partial is because they are a b*stard to take off and then refit...easier if you leave it hanging like I have :hihi. Also I didn't have the plastic strip because I had Gen 1 CCFLs which needed to be glued on with polymer adhesive. You must have the later Gen version if it has clips :thumbsup

#12 ·
fitted them today took about an hour but spent most of the time pissing about with the lower trim piece, anyway im wondering if i was sent the wrong kit as my inner ccfl was smaller than the outer one it just seemed it should have been the same size , maybe there supposed to be like this anyway there not going anywere with the clips on them , heres a pic in daylight.

#15 ·
NealP- just took the plug and bulb out of the socket then plugged in the two earth/live wires from converter box into the original plug , insulated them and tucked out way, still have the pug/bulb if ever needed, have the hole still mind, may try and just refit to block the hole

Bigbenstrikes-the kit was advertised as e46 pre 01, so presummed they fit lol. dont matter now i guess,

was titled like this

BMW E46 4D NON PROJECTOR 8000K XENON CCFL £150 + PROMO obviously never cost that much lol

#19 ·
hi godzilla, ur angels look really good! well done! im really thinking of doing this after reading all this, it doesn't seem too hard. I have an e46 saloon pre facelift so the one with the clips. could you paste the link of which ccfl's u bought.

btw guys i thought that if u had no sidelight bulbs in then the instrument panel displays a warning. does this happen or does the wiring kit take care of this? from what i have gathered when there is a bulb connected then the resistance reading tells the car everything is fine but when a bulb blows the resistance is therefore open circuit and infinite so an error is shown. does the ccfl ring just act as the bulb?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.