1999 E46 318i - Rusted Wheel Arches

Notices
 

Thread: 1999 E46 318i - Rusted Wheel Arches

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. 1999 E46 318i - Rusted Wheel Arches 
    #1
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Boruki's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    1999
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Hi all,

    I'm sure the topic of rusting rear wheel arches on an E46 has come up quite a few times.. but I can't search for E46 and everything I found was about other cars.. so I figured I'd just ask anyways!

    I've spoken to some people about having some repair panels welded in and painted.. apparently all good. However none of the companies I can find seem to offer rear arch panels for the E46 although I located some for the E36.

    So my question is.. has anyone here had this done on their E46? If so what panels did they use and where did they find them? And also, am I being stupid.. is there a better/more commonly tread solution? The "rust" is pretty bad, the sprayer refered to it as rot..

    Thanks it advance for any help guys!
     
     

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements
     

  3.  
    #2
    BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    chrisp_1's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    B3 3.3
    Year of Manufacture:
    2000
    Transmission Type:
    Switchtronic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    234
    Thanks
    97
    Thanked 102 Times in 88 Posts
    sounds like an expensive solution, not sure on availability of rear wing / quarters but give these guys a ring and they will advise accordingly.

    http://www.autocrashparts.co.uk/
     
     

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to chrisp_1 For This Useful Post:

    Boruki (12-10-2011)

  5.  
    #3
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Boruki's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    1999
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Thanks, I'll give them a call.. And if theres any extra ideas incase they can't do anything for me I'd love to hear those too! Thanks
     
     

  6. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements
     

  7. 1999 E46 318i - Rusted Wheel Arches 
    #4
    BMW Guru
    Car Details
    lee_h's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318 ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    2000
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    lee_h's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    middlesbrough
    Posts
    2,250
    Images
    1
    Thanks
    127
    Thanked 970 Times in 837 Posts
    Try quarry motors, a forum vendor, they may have what you are looking for
     
     

  8.  
    #5
    BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    chrisp_1's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    B3 3.3
    Year of Manufacture:
    2000
    Transmission Type:
    Switchtronic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    234
    Thanks
    97
    Thanked 102 Times in 88 Posts
    if new panel aren't an option you could always look into cutting out the old arches and welding in new ones - IIRC some peeps have used front arches from M3 on the rears to create a wider / more aggresive look (just a thought).

    Please update thread after your research as sure others in similar situation -
     
     

  9.  
    #6
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Boruki's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    1999
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Hi guys,

    I wasn't very clear with the original post - I'm looking to get repair panels, not new quarters. The panels are around £15-25 apparently, but do not exist specifically for the E46 model.

    www.autocrashparts.co.uk offer a "Universal Arch" for £15 p/unit, but I'm not sure if that'll work, as it sounds like it only covers a small inside portion of the arch.

    The M3 arch idea sounds good, however I think the front of the car would probably look a bit odd if I did that (?) and I'm feeling the pinch already at the idea of just fixing the rear arches! But I might look in to this.. whos to say I won't win some money or somehting!
     
     

  10.  
    #7
    BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    chrisp_1's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    B3 3.3
    Year of Manufacture:
    2000
    Transmission Type:
    Switchtronic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    234
    Thanks
    97
    Thanked 102 Times in 88 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boruki View Post
    Hi guys,

    I wasn't very clear with the original post - I'm looking to get repair panels, not new quarters. The panels are around £15-25 apparently, but do not exist specifically for the E46 model.

    www.autocrashparts.co.uk offer a "Universal Arch" for £15 p/unit, but I'm not sure if that'll work, as it sounds like it only covers a small inside portion of the arch.

    The M3 arch idea sounds good, however I think the front of the car would probably look a bit odd if I did that (?) and I'm feeling the pinch already at the idea of just fixing the rear arches! But I might look in to this.. whos to say I won't win some money or somehting!
    Hi Mate, the ring wings are welded on, gonna be tough to get some from a scrappy, might need to look at peeps breaking cars on here and hope to catch someone capable of taking them off 4 u if you go down that route, not really an option if you ask me if you can't get new. Hopefully if rust isn't that high up the panel the bodyshop can cut out the arch and weld in new ones - they should be able to source it for you if your struggling?

    Probably best you post pictures up to show extent of damage so peeps can give more learned opinions.
     
     

  11.  
    #8
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Boruki's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    1999
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisp_1 View Post
    Hi Mate, the ring wings are welded on, gonna be tough to get some from a scrappy, might need to look at peeps breaking cars on here and hope to catch someone capable of taking them off 4 u if you go down that route, not really an option if you ask me if you can't get new. Hopefully if rust isn't that high up the panel the bodyshop can cut out the arch and weld in new ones - they should be able to source it for you if your struggling?

    Probably best you post pictures up to show extent of damage so peeps can give more learned opinions.
    This is what I'm trying to get done, but they weld in repair panels rather than full arches (obviously.. I guess). No-one seems to be able to find these panels for the E46.. I've tried 3 or 4 big panel companies and even spoken to a BMW dealer and none have any for the E46. But they do have them for an E36. All I've found are universal arches, but I'm not sure if they'll cover enough of the area as there is a bit of damage on the outside of the arch too.
     
     

  12.  
    #9
    BMW Master
    Car Details
    Foolishbean69's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330d M-Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    2003 (53)
    Transmission Type:
    Manual (6 Speed)
    Car Body Type:
    Sports Saloon.
    Foolishbean69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, UK
    Posts
    431
    Thanks
    167
    Thanked 323 Times in 256 Posts
    Immo's front arches have started bubbling through *cries*. Paint coming off and everything!

    My Dad suggested getting them "lead loaded" I think this means like scrubbing down the rust and recovering the area with lead? Which doesn't rust? and repainted....

    What's the forum's opinion on lead loading? Any one got any experience with it?

    My main worry is that the finish won't be great, but it is only really the very edge of the arches, so I may just get away with it.

    I don't know though, never even seen a lead loaded panel!
     
     

  13.  
    #10
    BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    chrisp_1's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    B3 3.3
    Year of Manufacture:
    2000
    Transmission Type:
    Switchtronic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    234
    Thanks
    97
    Thanked 102 Times in 88 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Foolishbean69 View Post
    Immo's front arches have started bubbling through *cries*. Paint coming off and everything!

    My Dad suggested getting them "lead loaded" I think this means like scrubbing down the rust and recovering the area with lead? Which doesn't rust? and repainted....

    What's the forum's opinion on lead loading? Any one got any experience with it?

    My main worry is that the finish won't be great, but it is only really the very edge of the arches, so I may just get away with it.

    I don't know though, never even seen a lead loaded panel!

    Not sure if u saw my thread on this issue earlier this year?

    I sourced some aftermarket front wings from the company I linked too above... Reason being genuine wings cost ITRO £300-350 pair OUCH. Not 100% identical but the bodyshop made a really nice job on fitting and you can not tell they're non genuine unless you know where to look.

    I had got two quotes to re-spray full front end of my car and both companies suggested new wings best bet - obviously much easier for them too. It was gonna cost extra £200 to repair my rusty arches rather than fit and spray new ones, however, I did have to pay for the replacement panels on-top - these can be bought from £50-125 depending on where u look.

    Having said that I have just taken my old genuine wings in for repair at the more expensive bodyshop and they were much easier to convince to do the job with them already off the car - only proviso being I give them a couple of weeks to work around their more profitable (and less painful) repair jobs looking at £100 per wing to repair and paint. Basically they are cutting out the top of the arch where it rubs and corrodes from the rear and replacing with plating, not sure if lead or not. Then they will treat with that oily stuff on the rear to prevent any return of the prob.

    Provided job goes well I'll be selling a set of wings in cosmos schwartz metallic shortly (not right colour for you unfortunately).
    Last edited by chrisp_1; 26-10-2011 at 21:31.
     
     

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Tags for this Thread

View Tag Cloud

Posting Permissions
  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts