Model of Car:
    318 is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Hi guys, I have two rust spots on my passenger side rear door sill (there is usually a cover here) now that its turning abit warmer I wanted to have a go at sorting these out myself; as there's a cover over this area I'm ok with the job not being too professional lol. Can anyone give me some advice/steps on how I need to respray this area? and preferably some info about which products I will need (hopefully from halfords). The car is black btw.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Dev; 13-05-2010 at 15:42.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Al1exx's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E36 318i 8v
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Hello mate,

You'll need to remove / grind back as much of the rust as possible initially. Then, once you satisfied you've removed as much as possible, apply a rust treatment such as Kurust to the exposed area. Once this dries, a few coats of primer then paint will do the job - rattle cans out of Halfords will do nicely. Follow the instructions on the paint - wait a sufficient time between each coat. As the areas covered you may not want to skim it with filler before painting as then you'll need to faff about smoothing it all off most likely (surfact rust can leave a pitted / dimpled effect which you can see through paint).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Al1exx For This Useful Post:

Dev (13-05-2010)

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    jon kirby's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    if you can't see it, sand back to bare metal and simply paint with hammerite smooth (in black of course), i wouldn't worry to much about spraying it etc if it's hidden

*edit* are you talking about the footplate as you get in the car that has the plastic sill cover on top of it? if so thats were mine was bubbling, i popped the cover off (buy some more clips before hand as they will break), sanded down the affected area, masked it off and painted 3 coats of hammerite smooth in red over the area, the patch slightly comes further then the trim covers, but i'm more then happy knowing that the rust won't be festering away unseen under the trim

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jon kirby For This Useful Post:

Dev (13-05-2010)

Dev
    BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Dev's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318 is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Al1exx View Post
    Hello mate,

You'll need to remove / grind back as much of the rust as possible initially. Then, once you satisfied you've removed as much as possible, apply a rust treatment such as Kurust to the exposed area. Once this dries, a few coats of primer then paint will do the job - rattle cans out of Halfords will do nicely. Follow the instructions on the paint - wait a sufficient time between each coat. As the areas covered you may not want to skim it with filler before painting as then you'll need to faff about smoothing it all off most likely (surfact rust can leave a pitted / dimpled effect which you can see through paint).
    hi mate thanks for the reply. will i need the rust treatment if i sand all of the rust back? and how many coats of primer and paint are we talking? will i need gloss? and lastly, do u know what colour it is? will halfords match the colour?

Dev
    BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Dev's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318 is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jon kirby View Post
    if you can't see it, sand back to bare metal and simply paint with hammerite smooth (in black of course), i wouldn't worry to much about spraying it etc if it's hidden

*edit* are you talking about the footplate as you get in the car that has the plastic sill cover on top of it? if so thats were mine was bubbling, i popped the cover off (buy some more clips before hand as they will break), sanded down the affected area, masked it off and painted 3 coats of hammerite smooth in red over the area, the patch slightly comes further then the trim covers, but i'm more then happy knowing that the rust won't be festering away unseen under the trim
    Hi jon, thanks for the reply. yep i'm talking about underneath the footplate. do u know where i can get the clips from because mines are already broken, and how much will they be? I'm not too clued up about painting, so what difference does hammerite make lol? I thought cars needed special paint?

Dev
    BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Dev's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318 is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    can anyone shine some more light on this?

Dev
    BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Dev's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318 is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    cheers afcneal. So how many coats of rust treatment and hammerite do you reckon will do the job? and how much does kurust usually cost? Also I cannot seem to get the front passenger door trim (silver/aluminium strip) back on, will I need to buy new clips for this too?

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    jon kirby's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    clips are peanuts from a bm dealer, hammerite is a rust treatment, but the smooth has a better finish. you have 2 choices, sand/grind, kurust & rattle cans, or sand/grind and paint with hammerite. As mine is/was covered i went for b as it was cheaper and less messy with masking off etc. I will post up pics at some point.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jon kirby For This Useful Post:

Dev (22-05-2010)

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    jon kirby's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    Heres a quick pic of what i've done, cost me a tin of hammerite smooth in red which has also done my calipers too

I painted a bit further out then i really needed to, but no-one will ever see it and i know it ain't rusty anymore
    Attached Images

Dev
    BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Dev's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318 is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Cheers for the replies guys! Ok so I think I will forget the rust treatment completely and just sand back the rust and then spray over with hammerite rattle cans, are rattle cans Ok or should I brush it on? you reckon 3 coats of spray will do?

And another question, what process of sanding should I go through? As in do I have to go from higher grit paper to lower then change to wet/dry? Could someone tell me exactly which would be the best?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast