328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Hi Guys,
    My side mirror paint started to fade away as it is a sport version" aftermarket sport mirrors". I decided to take them out and paint them as I was not sure how the painting was done on the mirrors by the previous owner.

I had a hard time to sand it to bare metal and plastic( some part of it is metal). so I bought a sand paper grit 40 from screw fix and took most of the paint off with a great difficulty. this left lots of scratches on the surface.

I then started to spray primer on it after giving it a good clean . after each layer of primer and waiting for it to dry out for couple of hours, i sanded the surface with 500 grit paper and then 800.

I then painted it and again sanded the surface using paper 1000, however some of the scratches are still there, does that mean i will have to start all over again from grit 200 or something close so it takes the deep scratches off which was left by 40?

thanks for all helps

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    CompDoc's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Images
    Thanks
    The 40 grade is much to heavy for paintwork. Still you've done it now so the best bet is to get some grey primer/filler in a rattle can and spay untill it fills the deep scratches. Then use 1200 grade wet and dry paper soaked in soapy water untill the surface is smooth. If you can still see the scratches when you spray the colour coat, rub down with the wet and dry and give it another coat of primer/filler. You need the colour coat to be perfect before you spray the clear coats.
    Good luck.

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    E36_turbo's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    sorry for the later reply, would u think if i continue sanding it with 1000, it will take the scratches away or would it require a rework and sanding ...?

btw what is the lowest grit to go to for car painintg? i have 40, 60 , 120 and then 500 800 1000 and 1200
    i think 1000 and 1200 is for the final finish but guess 500 should be ok to take pint off.

the biggest problem i had was that i could not even take the paint off with 60 soi am wondering how i could have with something like 500