Model of Car:
    328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    The paintwork on my car has been covered in something that I am struggling to get off.
    The whole car is covered in very minute spots of something and the paintwork feels more like sandpaper, its that rough.
    I have tried using clay which has made a big difference but it took about 4hrs just to do the bonnet and roof and it didnt get it all off.
    Is there anything else I could use that mat be easier and quicker?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Master
    Car Details
    318i's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    1994 and only 50k
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    we have trees up and down our road which give off fine drops or tree sap. it feels like sandpaper and even after 30 mins you can see it on the windscreen like small drops. normally soap is enough to get it off. claying shouldnt take that long, what clay/lubricant are you using?
    after cleaning, try parking your car in the next road away from any trees that look similar see in your road. if that clears it up then its the trees.

a good clean and then a good quality wax should make it easier to clean next time.

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    coupe-boy's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    trust me this aint tree sap, i work next to a company that does powder coating and metalwork and we think it is coming from them.
    One of the guys that works across from us is actually having to get his car re-sprayed as he cant get it off.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,115 Times in 5,338 Posts
    If it's not embedded in the clear coat, then a machine polish should clear it up.

RYM
    Legendary BFuk Member
    Car Details
    RYM's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325tds
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,935 Times in 3,119 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coupe-boy View Post
    trust me this aint tree sap, i work next to a company that does powder coating and metalwork and we think it is coming from them.
    One of the guys that works across from us is actually having to get his car re-sprayed as he cant get it off.
    When I went out and had a go at detailing my coupe on a rare occasion because it was looking neglected I found LOADS of little rust spots (WHITE car) It turns out that when my car was in the bodyshop there must have been some grinding going on nearby and the metal had embedded itself into the paint. Exactly as you describe, sandpaper texture and an absolute C*** to get off!!!

I've also noticed primer over spray too which I have not managed to get off of certain areas yet!

In a way I'm glad my car was white because I was able to see exactly where the offending particles were. The car paint was not damaged but it was just the foreign particles that were embedded into the paint that had started to corrode. Took me hours to get them off my bonnet too. You should check the roof too and ensure you park well away from that place in the future

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    coupe-boy's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    sounds exactly like what i have got, we originally thought it was some sort of metal from the machining shops around us but i aint too sure, all I know is that it is one every single panel of the car!!!.
    Manged to use that clay stuff on some of it last weekend and it made a hell of a difference, over 4hrs though just to do the bonnet and roof, still need to do the rest of it.

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    steve_nurburgring's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    z4
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    there is an easy way to remove metal filings, i know what you mean, my mate works near a steel works and his car was coverd.
    choose a panel to do, wet it, get some wet newspaper, spray the panel with alloy wheel cleaner, put the news paper on the panel to keep it moist, give it 5 mins then wash off,
    perfect!
    i have done this loads of times, never damaged any paint, just dont leave it on for ages, 5 mins is long enough.