Model of Car:
    328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    I thought I'd take advantage of the weather today and give the 328 a good clean after all the cr@p it's had thrown at it running around in the snow. It has gone and got itself pretty filthy, as you can see.

I did try to get a Karcher foam lance - they're not the best I know but I don't fancy spending £50 or so on a posh one, especially after some of the tales I've heard about them. Everybody else, it seemed, had the same idea as me and so they're sold out everywhere I went . I had to make do with dumping the Karcher's detergent hose in a 5 litre container of Halford's cheapo shampoo and drizzled that on all over to soften the cack. Once that had got to work it was bucket and sponge time, with some Autoglym shampoo thrown in. After a thorough drying off, I set about the paintwork with a new Bilt Hamber soft claybar. Never used the Bilt Hamber one before, and I was impressed, This is the first one I've used that I could actually hear working. Works out at good value too as you get a 200g bar for around £10 and you can use plain water as a lube. This is the amount of bonded on gunk it lifted off from an area about a foot square on the bonnet.

Whilst claying, I sprayed some wonder wheels onto the wheels (where else?) and left it to get to work. Once the whole car was clayed - it only takes a quarter of the bar to do this - I gave it another quick wash over and rinsed it off with the pressure washer. Another dry off, then out came the Meguiars stage 2 polish to get the paint super smooth for the waxes.

After that, I went over the car with some AG Ultra Deep Shine. Didn't want to use SRP as I figured the Megs was abrasive enough for one session. The UDS is good stuuf, but it's a pain to buff out - hard work and very dusty. You need to go over the car with a big microfibre to get the dust off after buffing.
    Then I unpacked the big guns.

You can get HD wax from ebay for under £25 posted, which is a lot more reasonable than £40 in the shops. For ebay prices it's a bargain buy, you get the wax, two applicators and an AG microfibre, and it comes in a posh box so you get a free David Beckham joke.

The HD wax went on a dream, it's very easy to lay down a very fine even layer using the applicator sponge and it buffs off with virtually no effort and no dust. Doesn't mar your black trim either, which is a bonus. The light was going by now, and the camera was struggling, so these pictures really don't do the wax justice at all.

There was just time for a quick run around the black trim with some Mer gel, and to clean the exterior glass with AG glass cleaner. Another dust down and then all the glass was Rain-x'ed.

The interior is going to have to wait for some more daylight.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Deano16v's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    745i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,001 Posts
    good work mate!

but bloody hell if you consider that filthy i'd hate to see what you think of mine

Dr of BMW
    Car Details
    Lamper's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Car Body Type:
    Thanks
    Good job, mate. My car hasn't looked this good yet. :(

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    mrtross's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    looks smart

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    sam_c's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325ti
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Compact
    Thanks
    Good job...as said before if think that was filty, mine was a real disgrace! I had built up salt, mud, brake dust etc where the wheel spokes meet the outer edge of the weheel. It was so bad that even the magic of Wonder Wheels struggled to shift it!

I'm going to give mine a proper spring clean (clay etc) in a few weeks time once they stop gritting the roads.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    JimWD's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    A4 AVANT 1.9TDi Quattro Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Estate

Thanks
    Looks good. A great first day to get the cars clean, eh? I got my fleet scrubbed up today, too.

Couple of things though.. I'd look into an alternative Wheel cleaner if I were you. WW is strong stuff. It's acid. Your wheels wont thank you for it. Perhaps look into Bilberry or Megs Wheel Brightener which can be diluted down.

And, the Megs Stage 2 Polish hasn't got abrasives as far as I'm aware.. It's a pure polish - more of a glaze. SPR is nice to clean the paint prior to waxing, but, also to fill (and correct to a degree..) the light hairline swiriling/scratches you may come across.