BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1998 E36 318is, eliminating swirls?

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  daveo132 
#1 ·
hi guys i've got an E36 318IS in AVUS BLUE it polishes up a treat but i still have the issue of swirls, i've been looking through some of the threads on here and looking at the pictures and the results are amazing, how can i get my car gleaming and swirl free, i know its goona take time and elbow grease any tips on techniques and products/equiptment to use?
cheers in advance

#4 ·
You can't remove swirls by hand,

You need a machine polisher, there are two types rotary or dual action

There are products you can buy to hide swirls, like poor boys black hole

#5 ·
Get a cheap rotary polisher, a variety of pads and some cutting/finishing compound..

A hard day's work and you will be swirl free :thumbsup

Reactions: greenieg20
#6 ·
All you wanna do is buff it with a hard sponge head, finishing compound as its very fine but will remove swirls no problem but anythin deeper you will need g3, so after you gone over it with finishing compound with the buffer polish it. id wax it aswell.

Reactions: greenieg20
#8 ·
I paid £150 for mine which is a bluepoint one with speed control, but you can get much cheaper ones than that like cp im not sure how much that make is but i use it at work alot and i cant fault it at all and its light which is a good thing when your buffing alday long lol.

#11 ·
just looked at one on ebay myself,
how would you go about this? personal i use auto glym stuff. i find the whole world of car clening a bit of a mine field!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.