BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1997 E36 323i vert - exterior door trim/seal replacement help

2K views 12 replies 2 participants last post by  Onedesi 
#1 ·
The seals around the door handles (exterior) on my vert are cracked andfalling off which I understand is a common problem.

After lots of research I found out that I have to locate a gromet on the door and pull a lever only trouble is - no grommet :(

Do I have to take the door cards off to change this trim or is this gromet in a different place on the verts?

#3 ·
I think so, and TBH think hard if you really want to tackle this... I had to replace the central locking actuator on my E36 convertible when I first got it - NEVER AGAIN..... Working blind in a tight space with no room for move, not my idea of fun, it took me about 2-3 hours.:frown

#4 ·
Howdy Kevin - I didn't think it was going to be that hard :eek

To be fair it's only the drivers side that annoys me, i wonder if there is an alternative way of keeping the existing one in place ?????

What I don't get is why all the internet links I find refer to a grommet - is that not a UK thing?

#6 ·
From the pic it is the piece behind number 1 but the trim goes around number 1 in the vertical plane whereas item 13 is horizontal if that makes sense.

Best way of describing it is the seal around part 1 (or maybe it is a part of part 1 and I haven't realised it???)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.