1997 E36 323i convertible - rear wheel arch protection? - Page 6

Notices

Thread: 1997 E36 323i convertible - rear wheel arch protection?

Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    BMW Guru
    Car Details
    shamM3's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Vert
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,502 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Onedesi View Post
    I've just had a horrible thought - I haven't cleaned the hood with the autoglym hood cleaner - if I use that now will it remove the wax from the car

Also, I've bought some Menzenra polish - will it be okay to use the fine stuff on a Honda Jazz Bumper?
    AG hood cleaner won't strip the wax but when you put the ultraproofer on make sure you put newspaper or something on the glass and bottom rear of the hood because thats a pain if it gets onto your paintwork, especially if it dries.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Onedesi's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible

Thanks
    Cheers chaps, thanks for that tip I'd never have thought of it

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Onedesi's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible

Thanks
    In for a penny in for a pound, I decided to have a go on the replacement Jazz bumper with the Kestrel DAS6 and Menzerna medium compound followed by the final polish.

I've never done this before - ever so I washed/clayed then prayed and went to work with the polisher and polisher - here's a link to various photos I took on the journey from pre wash through to end position:

http://s84.photobucket.com/albums/k4...Jazz%20Bumper/

I'm amazed this was possible but would happily take any comments on boards that you might have

I'm feeling the urge to have a go at the swirls on my BMW just to see what can be done but it would mean starting all over

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    shamM3's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Vert
    Thanks
    Just to let you know mate I found the AG hood cleaning kit at halfords on sale for £15.99. I normally pay £20 for it

Gotta be careful on contours with the machine polisher, you can easily go through the paint..

6. The Following User Says Thank You to shamM3 For This Useful Post:

Onedesi (10-10-2010)

BMW Master
    Car Details
    mark beardmore's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    m3
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Onedesi View Post
    In for a penny in for a pound, I decided to have a go on the replacement Jazz bumper with the Kestrel DAS6 and Menzerna medium compound followed by the final polish.

I've never done this before - ever so I washed/clayed then prayed and went to work with the polisher and polisher - here's a link to various photos I took on the journey from pre wash through to end position:

http://s84.photobucket.com/albums/k4...Jazz%20Bumper/

I'm amazed this was possible but would happily take any comments on boards that you might have

I'm feeling the urge to have a go at the swirls on my BMW just to see what can be done but it would mean starting all over
    unfortunatley yes it will require starting over but tbh i woud leave it till next spring especially if the cars going to be used over winter as i assume it is

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Onedesi's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible

Thanks
    Good tip Sham, I'm off to halfords later today.

Fair point Mark, I will use over the winter I was just really pleased with the result so armed and dangerous with polisher Im looking for things to polish

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Onedesi's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible

Thanks
    Got the cleaner Sham

You knew it was going to happen, I succumbed to temptation and stripped the bootlid and let the Kestrel loose

I am so glad I did - I used various iterations of the Menzerna stuff - a bit trial and error but I am really chuffed with the results - the finish is almost like glass.

There are a couple of marks left which wouldn't go so I guess they were too deep - I daren't go too mad with the rough Menzerna stuff so I quit will I was ahead and popped on a coat of Colli's (2nd coat tomorrow).

What have I learnt - this is not easy but it is very rewarding and it will take me forever to do the whole car

I reckon bonnet next and then go round one panel at a time

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    shamM3's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Vert
    Thanks
    It'll take along time, normally takes me a full day when I detail my car in the summer months.

Usually get up at 6am and be done for around 4ish in the afternoon. I'll be detailing my car ready for winter on Tuesday/Wednesay weather permitting and i'll post up some pics

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Onedesi's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shamM3 View Post
    It'll take along time, normally takes me a full day when I detail my car in the summer months.

Usually get up at 6am and be done for around 4ish in the afternoon. I'll be detailing my car ready for winter on Tuesday/Wednesay weather permitting and i'll post up some pics
    That would be great - some before and after pics (during as well).

I can see a whole day and more disappearing - there are some marks I wnet over 3 or 4 times but could not get 'em to shift (kids kept pointing them out to me - little treasures ).

I let the polisher keep the pressure I didn't put much downforce on it (seemed to be the way from what I'd read ???).

I'd like to see how badly wrong I am getting this process (I've said before your car looks stunning so I'm amazed it needs detailing ).

Let me know when you post up the thread

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Onedesi For This Useful Post:

shamM3 (15-10-2010)

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Onedesi's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible

Thanks
    Okay then, this will be my final post in this thread as I did what I said I wouldn't - I stripped the Colli's all over - polished and rewaxed - was it worth the effort

Hell yeah

The white is now a brilliant white and all panels look uniform (damn this polish is good) and the reflections, OMG the reflections are quite simply stunning (all in my humble opinion of course ).

I totally accept that I don't really know what I'm doing but I've surprised myself at what is possible even by a novice like me.

There are still some swirl marks and this is probably down to my technique and I'm using Elite Coolfoam pads so possible some harsher pads might be of the order (what is the point of a lambswool pad folks and will it cut into the paint???).

Along the way I've Laminx'd the front fogs and I plan to get smoked front indictors as I think the current ones look to bright (if that makes sense).

Also, the plastics will be treated with Optimum Leather Care - first impressions are very positive

Anyway, thanks for all those who have helped me to date and here are 2 pics that show my handiwork :

One very pig in a lot of the proverbial

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast