1997 E36 323i convertible - rear wheel arch protection? - Page 3

Notices

Thread: 1997 E36 323i convertible - rear wheel arch protection?

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BMW Master
    Car Details
    Onedesi's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible

Thanks
    Right folks I'm knackered but happy as a pig in the proverbial

I followed your plan Sham apart from I couldn't get the collinites so I had to use the megs liquid wax . Hope I haven't screwed up hear

I reclayed the car as i knew had been cautious last time round and I didn't need to be, I got the car to feel so smooth you could slide of it

The autoglym polish is awesome stuff, so simple to use (I remember using it many years ago but not really understanding what it did).

I had to use the megs liquid wax have I screwed up - I wanted to protect the polish (wasn't sure if I needed to), can I put the colli's straight over (assuming no rain) or do I have to start again

Thanks Mark, I will try and go over tomorrow or Tuesday so will be sure to mention you.

I probably sound like a stuck record but thanks and thanks again, this cleaning is addictive - never thought I'd ever say that.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    shamM3's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Vert
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,502 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Colli should be good to go on top mate, just give it a quick wash and dry so you don't scrape contaminants across your paintwork.

remember to apply the wax thinly and only do one panel at a time or else it becomes really hard

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Onedesi's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible

Thanks
    Right gotcha - one panel at a time.

Just a thought, how does this stuff compare to the zymol waxes?

Also - next time I wash my car do I need to polish/wax again or will this damage the wax?

Man i sound like a fool but dont want to eradicate the effect of my hard work today.

I read somewhere that you need to build up the layers of wax so surely washing and polishing will remove the layers of wax I put on?

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    shamM3's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Vert
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,502 Times in 1,391 Posts
    You'll need to do the wax in 2 parts mate. One after polishing and one the next day and that'll give you ~6 months protection.

Using a ph neutral shampoo won't strip your wax either. I normally polish/wax my car after every four washes/6-7weeks. I find its a good balance between keeping the car clean and not using too much product

If i'm in a rush i'll give it a quick once over with turtle wax which I find brings up the shine and a bit of protection till next time. Although with liquid waxes I find that the car attracts more dust compared to when I use the colli 915, being a black car it makes a massive difference between washes.

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Onedesi's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible

Thanks
    I'll post back once I've done the colli's I now understand what I need to do without going nuts on detailing.

I will probably regret asking but does this process help with removing swirl marks?

Is the megs gold class shampoo PH neutral ?

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    haitch's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    528i SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Just worth a mention, you say you had the arch done because there was a rust spot. Rust in this area often comes from the inside. Once taken back to bare metal a pin prick size hole may be visible. If this has been the case it is essential to use a product such as Waxoyl or Dynax inside the wheel arches and cavities. It may not stop recurrence altogether but it does delay it. I had a similar problem about 12 months ago, Had the respray done (front wing) and have blasted inside the arches, doors boot cills etc., with Dynax S50 which in my experience is a little more fluid than Waxoyl and creeps into seams and corners better. No recurrence visible 12 months later. It does get the Collinite 476 or 915 treatment too, brilliant stuff.

BMW Master
    Car Details
    mark beardmore's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    m3
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Onedesi View Post
    I'll post back once I've done the colli's I now understand what I need to do without going nuts on detailing.

I will probably regret asking but does this process help with removing swirl marks?

Is the megs gold class shampoo PH neutral ?
    gold class shampoo is fine one of the higher rated imo, i use megs hyperwash, only cos it comes in bulk(a us gallon)

swirl marks will always reappear, just a matter of time unfortunatley, although a good cleaning regime will slow the effects of swirling, best stick to what your doing as the fillers i srp work very well especially multiple coats, left on as long as possible before removing 30 mins to a hour, this will mask the effects of swirling and should last when topped with collinite, apply the colli sparingly do one panel at a time and you will be fine, 2 coats 12+ hours apart will see you through six months, if you wash and dry correctly, what do you use to dry the car with incidentley?

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Onedesi's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible

Thanks
    That's good to know on the shampoo front, I got something g right - phew!!!

I use the meguiars water magnet towel thing, is that okay?

I spoke to the guys in tamworth today top people, really nice and knowledgeable - top tip mark and they knew you

I can't decide between colli's 476 and 915, is the 915 easier to put and does it smell nicer as my car doesn't get used much so I don't mind the lesser durability.

HAITCH, thanks for the tip on the Dynax, I don't understand these seal type products, do I need to Jack the car up or is there some other way to apply, I don't want to get the stuff on the paintwork?

BMW Master
    Car Details
    mark beardmore's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    m3
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Onedesi View Post
    That's good to know on the shampoo front, I got something g right - phew!!!

I use the meguiars water magnet towel thing, is that okay?

I spoke to the guys in tamworth today top people, really nice and knowledgeable - top tip mark and they knew you

I can't decide between colli's 476 and 915, is the 915 easier to put and does it smell nicer as my car doesn't get used much so I don't mind the lesser durability.

HAITCH, thanks for the tip on the Dynax, I don't understand these seal type products, do I need to Jack the car up or is there some other way to apply, I don't want to get the stuff on the paintwork?
    the water magnet is fine, i was just wondering if you were using a leather as its a bit of a no no due to it stripping wax coat, i usually use a microfibre and a drying aid(megs last touch diluted 50/50 with cooled boiled waterwhich is a mega versatile product that can also be used as clay lube and quick detaileras wel as a drying aid)

From what i can gather 476s is the easier of the two collis to use as well as being marginally more durable,not that its really an issue as a mate did his car about 4 or five months ago and its still beading very well, unfortunatley collinites waxes aren't the nicest smelling, not horriblle just not good enough to want to eat like something like natty's blue

most cavity and sealing products are sprayed or brushed on, the easiest way i found was to mask off the outside and then apply liberally to ensure a nice thick protective coverage, waxoil or their underseal takes a day or so to go off and will remain sticky so dont worry its just how they work to remaim plyable and give a protective layer, cheap underseal will dry completly and usually cracks and renders it useless

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Onedesi's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible

Thanks
    Right then, here are some pics from the weekends efforts

The first 2 are of the rear windscreen before and after using Megs Plastx - the clarity I have now is stunning and I reckon a bit more work and it will be as new (apart from the small hole I need to fix )

The next 2 are after the following:

Wash with Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo
    Clay with Meguiars kit
    Autoglym Super Resin Polish
    Meguiars Gold Class Wax (didn't have the Colli's at the time, thats for this weekend

Thanks for the help to date chaps, would appreciate your thoughts

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast