1997 E36 323i convertible - rear wheel arch protection? - Page 2

Notices

Thread: 1997 E36 323i convertible - rear wheel arch protection?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    BMW Guru
    Car Details
    shamM3's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Vert
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,502 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Its okay to mix products mate. Your missing out the polishing stage after the clay. If your polishing by hand you can't really use anything better than AG SRP, it contains fillers so will hide minor swirl marks and has some sealant to protect the paint.

I've only clayed my car once and its been over a year now and still looks good, although I do give the car a quick hand polish every 3-4 washes.

Zymol is good but expensive. Collinite is the best, 476 will do for your needs or you could use 915 but it has less protection and more shine.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Onedesi's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible

Thanks
    Cheers sham, SRP means super resin polish so once i put this on do I then use the kegs liquid wax and then the collinites or do I miss out the kegs?

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    shamM3's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Vert
    Thanks
    I wouldn't bother with a liquid wax personally. Super resin polish, buff it off and then apply the collinite wax

BMW Master
    Car Details
    mark beardmore's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    m3
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    I'd agree with what sham is saying, if you've never clayed before its deffo worth doing though,(you will be amazed what comes off) although the megs kits are an expensive way of doing it imo(get on to rob at performance motorcare and he will supply you with clay and lube alot cheaper)then a couple of coats of srp to enhance shine and reduce any visible swirling, then 2 coats of collis leaving 12hrs between coats to enable the curing process to work
    performance motorcare also stock collinite btw!

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Onedesi's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible

Thanks
    Cheers guys, not sure what to do with the liquid wax now (should have asked before I bought, even at this age I'm living and learning ).

I clayed for the first time ever in July but did a terrible job as I didn't really know what I was doing so I'll do it again in the next few weeks.

Does the collinite just rub on then buff off so bait of elbow grease only - I don't need a buffing machine do I ?

If I haven't already said so thanks for the help guys
    Last edited by Onedesi; 26-09-2010 at 21:36. Reason: Typo

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    m3
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Onedesi View Post
    Cheers guys, not sure what to do with the liquid wax now (should have asked before I bought, even at this age I'm living and learning ).

I flayed for the first time ever in July but did a terrible job as I didn't really know what I was doing so I'll do it again in the next few weeks.

Does the collinite just rub on then buff off so bait of elbow grease only - I don't need a buffing machine do I ?

If I haven't already said so thanks for the help guys
    keep the liquid stuff for door shuts wheels etc,collinite is pretty easy to use just apply it sparingly nice thin amount of wax thinner the better, and buff after a minute or so, once it hazes, i usually do one panel at a time, easy going by hand, not a difficult wax at all if you follow the instructions

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Onedesi's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible

Thanks
    Ive found Performance Motorcare on the web, I think a trip is of the order

Just before I buy the collinite, am I missing anything else and is the Autoglym Super Resin Polish the best stuff, could I not use the Megs liquid wax then the Collinite or is the liquid wax a poorer version of the Collinite?

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    shamM3's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Vert
    Thanks
    Megs liquid wax won't actually fill/hide/bring up the shine. You need to polish the paint before applying a wax, and because your doing it by hand I recommend AG SRP (and no I don't work for them) its just a good product.

Colli is a hard wax, basically gives a much better physical barrier on top of the paint compared to liquid waxes which (most) will come off on the first/second down pour. Trust me on this one, i've tried loads of different products and still use some cheaper products like liquid turtle wax for door/boot/bonnet shuts where the elements can't get to them as much.

This is what I suggest you do (by hand):

- wash and dry
    - clay if you want to but I wouldn't unless i'm going to machine polish the car
    - apply polish, depending on condition work it in more
    - apply first coat of wax and buff off
    - Leave alone for a day
    - either a quick wash and dry or use a detailing spray to remove dust and then apply the second coat of wax.

Remember the glass and wheels make the car look even better so AG glass polish on all glass (inside and out) and a polish of the wheels depending on how bad they are

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    m3
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Onedesi View Post
    Ive found Performance Motorcare on the web, I think a trip is of the order

Just before I buy the collinite, am I missing anything else and is the Autoglym Super Resin Polish the best stuff, could I not use the Megs liquid wax then the Collinite or is the liquid wax a poorer version of the Collinite?
    once you start with the detailing/ cleaning etc you won't want to stop it gets very addictive, talk to rob at performance motorcare, tell him i sent you and he will see you right!
    don't bother with the liquid megs wax under the collinite, the collinite will remove/replace it due to its fairly high solvent content, just keep the megs for other things as i said previously

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    m3
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shamM3 View Post
    Megs liquid wax won't actually fill/hide/bring up the shine. You need to polish the paint before applying a wax, and because your doing it by hand I recommend AG SRP (and no I don't work for them) its just a good product.

Colli is a hard wax, basically gives a much better physical barrier on top of the paint compared to liquid waxes which (most) will come off on the first/second down pour. Trust me on this one, i've tried loads of different products and still use some cheaper products like liquid turtle wax for door/boot/bonnet shuts where the elements can't get to them as much.

This is what I suggest you do (by hand):

- wash and dry
    - clay if you want to but I wouldn't unless i'm going to machine polish the car
    - apply polish, depending on condition work it in more
    - apply first coat of wax and buff off
    - Leave alone for a day
    - either a quick wash and dry or use a detailing spray to remove dust and then apply the second coat of wax.

Remember the glass and wheels make the car look even better so AG glass polish on all glass (inside and out) and a polish of the wheels depending on how bad they are
    pretty much bang on i would say

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast