BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1997 E36 323 new halo half kit and smoked chrome kidneys!!

2K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  CharleyNokia 
#1 ·
Ok guys, I had to change out the old halo rings I had before cos of the condensation I had inside the headlights over christmas. One of the rings blew.

Unfortunately, one of the rings on the new CCFL kit was blown too, so had to improvise. While the front end was in bits, I decided to ' make a difference '. I had the garage guy split down the 2 kidney grills and sprayed the chrome squares to make them black chrome, rather than normal satin/matt black covers/replacements.

One of the guys there has an E39 who bought a pair of plastic covers for his grills, and commented on how good it looked after, and that he'd never have thought about making his black chrome. It's a bit hard to see the black chrome in the pics, so I'll try take a better pic of them outside.

So, here is the end product. The halo's now look retro compared to having the full 4 rings lighting up. I always thought 4 rings was a bit OTT cos the car is quite small in size.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

See less See more
#4 ·
That's an interesting look - but I quite like it, nice work :thumbsup
I think it would also work with the inner lights lit up and not the outer.

The black chrome looks good - if you could get some daylight photos of them it would be appreciated :cool

#5 ·
Fanx guys. Heres a few more pics, I also fitted a set of Alpina door pins and a genuine Alpina boot spoiler so it finishes off the back end. Now just to get/create a rear diffuser to bring the underside of the rear bumper down level with the side skirts.

I don't want to re-break the seals again on the headlights now, I knew I should have checked the rings ALL worked prior to fitting. Oh well.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

#16 ·
The outer smooth glass is still attached to the middle black section. The rings were stuck to the BACk of the inner round glass lenses. So, there is from the outside - inwards, outer glass, inner round lense, halo ring, chrome dome reflector.

@ Mwogs, I was a bit bewildered at the Picasso pic too!! haha.

#19 ·
i dint no how to put it lol. and a quick paint wo my only choice lol
i just wanted to no as iv seen some where the ring it slightly blurred and i was going to stick them to the outside of the inner lens so it went. (outer glass,halos,inner lens, reflector)
so it would be a sharp halo ring if that makes sense

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.