1997 E36 318iS black - DETAILED!!! - Page 4

Notices

Thread: 1997 E36 318iS black - DETAILED!!!

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    BMW Master
    Car Details
    sjflat's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    840 Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ThE.gRiZzLe View Post
    Also not a dig mate, but it will be your technique letting you down (all of our paints are a similar hardness) as that is a heavy combination just for swirl removal. What machine are you using? And it sounds like your not working it long enough on each stage so the polish isnt breaking down enough to do its job...

Ahmet
    Thanks Ahmet,

I've done other cars with an orange pad/SSR1 (I use Dodo Juice's take on the DAS) with excellent results... perhaps I'm being too much of a perfectionist on such a difficult colour.

As for not working it long enough... initially I'll work the polish in very slowly on 1.5 (at least 2 passes), then move onto another slow pass on 2.5, then another 2 or 3 passes on slightly higher speeds. When I did my bootlid, I divided it into 5 equal sections and would estimate that I took at least 5 minutes on each. In any case, the bootlid now looks pretty damn good: It's just the rest of the car that needs attention now!

Oh, with reference to paint thickness, I had a respray 18months ago so that shouldn't be too much of an issue for me. You do raise a very good point though!
    Last edited by sjflat; 22-09-2010 at 17:18.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Platinum BFuk Member
    Car Details
    ThE.gRiZzLe's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Just what I thought mate, with Narvs bonnet we did 12 high speed passes as we were stuck with the DA. The lower speeds wont break down the polish on a DA so it only starts to work properly once you have done a few passes and then you have to keep it working til you get the results safely. Which pads are you using? and polish wise, try not to associate cars as remember every car is different. BMW is by far the hardest paint I have come across, bar Mercedes... Also don't assume that because its had a respray your safe, you have to bare in mind that the laquer may have been applied very thinly as every sprayer will do it differently, and there may be high spots and low spots... Not trying to put you off mate, but bare it in mind?

2 or 3 passes at high speed will barely even get the poilish working 5 passes to spread and work would barely even do anything on a rotary, if not make things worse...

Polishing is a long process, I'm not saying do 12 high speed passes, but that was on a hard cut compound with a medium cut pad & I was playing it safe as my mate had my PTG

PS. DO NOT USE MINE AS AN EXAMPLE - IT IS DOWN TO YOU TO JUDGE HOW MUCH PAINT YOU HAVE TO PLAY WITH ETC... Just thought I'd mention that

Ahmet

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ThE.gRiZzLe For This Useful Post:

sjflat (24-09-2010)

BMW Master
    Car Details
    sjflat's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    840 Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Okie dokie, I'll be sure to work it for longer in the future then. I'll report back in a few months when I've had the chance to give it a try!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sjflat For This Useful Post:

ThE.gRiZzLe (22-09-2010)

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Onedesi's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible

Thanks
    That is one awesome finish

I'm newly back into BMW ownership and have a white 323i, is there any chance you could give me a dummies summary on detailing?

I'm not looking for trade secrets but my idea of a good clean was meguiars gold class wash followed by meguiars gold class polish (recently discovered claying which was a revelation).

I don't get whether the products I have are sufficient and if not what do I need and in what order do I go in with them?

Any help really really appreciated

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Onedesi For This Useful Post:

e36narv (08-02-2011)

Platinum BFuk Member
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Onedesi View Post
    That is one awesome finish

I'm newly back into BMW ownership and have a white 323i, is there any chance you could give me a dummies summary on detailing?

I'm not looking for trade secrets but my idea of a good clean was meguiars gold class wash followed by meguiars gold class polish (recently discovered claying which was a revelation).

I don't get whether the products I have are sufficient and if not what do I need and in what order do I go in with them?

Any help really really appreciated
    Sorry to throw an old thread at you mate, but this should help give you an idea of the basic process, though I am a lot more in depth now... But you have to start somewhere CLICKY!

I will do you a bit more of a personal write up later on if you wish but I'm at work at the moment so I should probably get on with working... But anything you want to know ask away and I'll answer to the best of my knowledge...

Ahmet

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ThE.gRiZzLe For This Useful Post:

Onedesi (24-09-2010)

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Onedesi's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible

Thanks
    Cheers Ahmet I'll have a read of that

I could do with some guidance on products as my simple process is

Wash with megs gold class
    Dry
    Clay using megs detail spray and clay
    Use megs gold class liquid wax

Step back and smile

What stages/products are missing from this?

Should I PM you (not sure of forum protocol)

Platinum BFuk Member
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Right, admittedly I was a huge fan of Megs gold class up until recently as I find it does shorten the life of my wax/lsp & made the car get statically charged so dust clinged to it like a ************ so I changed over to DJ Born To Be Mild... Wicked stuff, and it has its own carnuba content and the dilution ratio is amazing 800:1, so it will last a good while...

Drying - A sonus Der Wunder waffle weave cloth or 5 will do you wonders! Use it to pat the car dry, and you'll be amazed at the results you get... Never swipe dry as this will inflict its own damage...

Megs detailing clay is a medium clay, and basically the only advice I can offer here is to use light fingertip pressure at most (narvin will vouch here that even with a fine clay too much pressure will cause marring), and make sure you use LOADS of lube as it can cause quite harsh damage to the paint if you swipe over a dry patch. Basically just work the clay lightly back and forth over sections of paintwork, until the area feels like glass under the clay (you'll get what I mean once you get claying, though I will warn you that this process is rather boring. Also wash the car again with the 2BM afterwards to remove all traces of lube....

I personally hate liquid wax, as it lasts about 2 weeks at most and it wont actually protect the paintwork that well. For all round good protection go for something like Collinite 476s and it should give you minimum 6 months protection, or if your going for a clearer coat with a little less durability, Collinite 915 Marque De Elegence or Victoria's Concourse wax will be up to the job. After claying though, I would really recommend giving it a polish to get the best results , it will not correct the paint, but it will give you a little better shine to protect

Ahmet

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ThE.gRiZzLe For This Useful Post:

Onedesi (26-09-2010)

Uber Platinum BFuk Member
    Car Details
    chasman's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3
    Year of Manufacture:
    2002/2003
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    looking good well done lads, car looks lovely, think its all down to the wheels tho

1996 E36 328I vert

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chasman For This Useful Post:

e36narv (08-02-2011),e36nickd (27-09-2010)

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Onedesi's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible

Thanks
    Cheers Ahment, I'll pick up some Collinites 476 tomorrow - ive given my car good wash/clay/polish today and had to use the megs gold wax as had no other wax but hopefully I can put the colls over the top of the megs.

Thanks for the help

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Onedesi For This Useful Post:

ThE.gRiZzLe (26-09-2010)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234