Model of Car:
    328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Hey guys, iv recently put some new rear wheels on my car. 18x9J with 255/30 tires. I am having problems with them hitting the arches! The offset is ET35. I have adjusted the camber as much as i can on standard arms (Fitting adjustable arms on saturday), i have had to install spring assisters in the rear springs to prevent travel and the arches havnt exactly been rolled as such.. just had the lip folded in to give a few more MM's but they still rub when cornering!

I am going to try a solve the problem with more camber but i dont want to run a ridiculous camber and trash my tires in a month..

Iv had a quick look on e-bay and the internet for some wider arches but not really having too much luck..

Has anyone ever had to solve this problem and do any of u know where i can get some difference arches? I was originally thinking of getting E46 M3 arches to fit but thats a bit much work.. Fibre glass would be preferable as its easier to work with and it also eliminates having to worry about rusty arches again

Any help will be greatly appreciated

P.S. Unfortunately this is on a bit of a budget as iv already spent over £100 getting the arches de-rusted and folded :( gutted... lol

Thanks!

To-do list:
    1JZ-GTE conversion, Z3 rack, poly bush, Respray.

Done list:
    Short shifter, M50 manifold, Headlights, Induction kit, Front+Rear strut braces, Carbon badges, M3 diffuser, Illuminated gear knob, Body work (Rust ETC), Smoked LED Rears. Trims painted black, 18 button OBC, Dash rings, Adjustable rear camber arms, EBC brakes, New rims, M3 mirrors, Adjustable top mounts, Coil overs, ICE, Exhaust, LSD.
    See my project thread

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    DragonLogicX's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i Sport Coupe & 328i SE Saloon & M3 Coupe
    Year of Manufacture:
    1998 & 1996 & 1997
    Transmission Type:
    All Manual :D
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe, Saloon & Coupe
    Thanks
    If you don't mind me asking, why did you go with 255/30/18 rather than 245's? I would have thought that even with an et35 you could have got away with no work to be done on the arches with 245's but I could be wrong.
    In the past, I've run Pirreli 245/30/19's with an et38 with no problems (until I slammed the bimmer to the floor that is ) so maybe just changing the tyres would be a more afordable option.
    OR
    you could just pay to have the arches rolled or even flared if you want to drop it a lot more on 245's

Either way let us know what you end up doing as I wouldn't mind keeping a note for future reference as I plan on getting some new 18's in the near future

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    DragonLogicX's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i Sport Coupe & 328i SE Saloon & M3 Coupe
    Year of Manufacture:
    1998 & 1996 & 1997
    Transmission Type:
    All Manual :D
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe, Saloon & Coupe
    Thanks
    Oops I just had a look online and I can't see any 245/30/18's to even buy ....... actually I'm having problems finding 255/30/18's

do they even make 245/30/18?

I can find 245/35/18 & 255/35/18 though!?!

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Spirit's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e36 323i se saloon
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,936 Times in 2,212 Posts
    235/35/18s would be better

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Daler69's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Lol ok im stupid. 225/35/18

I went with 255s on the rear because when i ordered the rims, i called a tire garage and asked what size tire i should be getting on them. They said 255 for a 9J and 225 for my 8Js on the front.

I am regretting getting 255s now and should have gone for my original thought of 245s. I think 245s might be enough to make the difference but these tires that i have now have covered about 20 miles

I can find 245/40s but they are more expensive than the 255/35s iv got now lol.

Im a bit hacked off at the min... Spent over £1000 on wheels and tires only to make my car worse to drive! lol. Id rather spend a bit more money now and keep my 255's than get smaller tires.

I was planning to drop the car in a few weeks but it looks like thats guna be a mission now..

To-do list:

Done list:
    Short shifter, M50 manifold, Headlights, Induction kit, Front+Rear strut braces, Carbon badges, M3 diffuser, Illuminated gear knob, Body work (Rust ETC), Smoked LED Rears. Trims painted black, 18 button OBC, Dash rings, Adjustable rear camber arms, EBC brakes, New rims, M3 mirrors, Adjustable top mounts, Coil overs, ICE, Exhaust, LSD.
    See my project thread

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Daler69's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spiritentwined View Post
    235/35/18s would be better
    The problem with that is grip... I only had 215's on the rear and could never push the car because of the serious lack of grip.. i had 255's on my E46 328 and grip was awesome so stuck to that idea. Id rather have bigger wheels and buy cheap tires that grip just because they are big than have smaller wheels and have to shell out a poo load every time i need a tire change.

Smaller tires would offer no rim protection either Need that to protect my babies!

To-do list:

Done list:
    See my project thread

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Daler69's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Iv even called around to a few machine shops to see if they can get my rims on a lathe and turn 4-5mm off of the mating face to my hub but, not surprisingly, no where will because of insurance risks and the fact that is they mark my rims im guna want new ones! lol

To-do list:

Done list:
    See my project thread

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Spirit's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e36 323i se saloon
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,936 Times in 2,212 Posts
    I run 235/40/17 on mine and plenty of grip,tire choice is more beneficial than width I find and maybe running a thinner style of tire make might help with clearance.try extremewheels on here and see if they can help you more and rtec in st Albans are really good for arch rolling.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Spirit For This Useful Post:

Daler69 (30-03-2011)

Super Moderator
    Car Details
    payno's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3 Evo S Type R
    Year of Manufacture:
    1998 2003
    Transmission Type:
    Manual Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe Saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,052 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daler69 View Post
    The problem with that is grip... I only had 215's on the rear and could never push the car because of the serious lack of grip.. i had 255's on my E46 328 and grip was awesome so stuck to that idea. Id rather have bigger wheels and buy cheap tires that grip just because they are big than have smaller wheels and have to shell out a poo load every time i need a tire change.

Smaller tires would offer no rim protection either Need that to protect my babies!
    you will never get as much grip with cheep tires as they are made with inferior rubber you get what you pay for with the exception of colway tires who make remolds that a lot of club sport peeps use (they use soft sticky rubber )as they dont have to make the casing they spend more on the rubber you get what youbpay for

13. The Following User Says Thank You to payno For This Useful Post:

Daler69 (30-03-2011)

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Daler69's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Well im runni......

Hang on, just need to prep for the abuse...
    Running nankangs on mine... They are fairly cheap and i have always found them to be more than grippy enough in the dry and the lack of grip just allows for some fun in the wet Iv always been convinced it was because of the size of them that made em good? Quantity over quality lol

To-do list:

Done list:
    See my project thread

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast