BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1992 E36 318i leather repair (repainting/dyeing)

3K views 29 replies 8 participants last post by  sam1832 
#1 ·
does anyone know a place in the north east who does this kind of thing i just been to a leather dude and he doesnt recolour he just replaces and wanted 200 english pounds of my hard earned cash for the (wing panel) side part which is worn. i left in quite a hurry befor the credit card came out haha

so any light or pointing in the right direction to a dyeing place would be great as im noo good with a airbrush so cannot do it myself

cheers drew

#2 ·
mine were worn pretty bad on the side and i re dyed them myself.it was so easy.took a bit of time because you need to let each coat dry but saved hundreds.
check out my project thread..i think its called smileys 840ci project thread or something.
got the stuff form ebay from a company called dynamixes.

#5 ·
sorry for my sillynees but...
when you say repair what are you reapearing? worn leather?

i have a worn bit on my drivers seat, its on the wing on the back rest closet to the door, i will post up a pic later,

but can that be fixed?

#6 ·
if the leather is looking a bit worn and not completely gone then the dynamix is good stuff..covers the worn parts really well and the colours is good match:thumbsup

#15 ·
go on do the recolour. you know you want to.

rjb328i or chasman are the guys to ask they have both done their whole interiors and will be able to give you an idea of the ins and outs.

plus i am hoping to do mine from black to red leather at some point.

do it and get some pics up....:thumbsup:thumbsup

#18 ·
yea good shout, :D

do a little tester first make sure you are happy with it...:thumbsup

lot easier to replace the armrest than a seat... oh and a lot cheaper too:rofl

good luck and get some pics up asap..:thumbsup:thumbsup:D

#20 ·
wicked....:D

get yaself down to lakeside sat evening too then we can all have a good look at the motor as well......:thumbsup

#24 ·
thanks nick, looks really good, so would you reccomend filling?

in the pics that is the drivers seat the bolster nearest the door, that is the only bit that has worn,

and the center armrest and both passenger and drivers armrest have worn a bit so i will do them all

#27 ·
thanks smiley, :) i will give filling ago aswell then lol
Nial not sure of my plans yet ...

Sam yes fill it and will get rid of most of the cracks. apply generius amount of filler and then fine sand back until really smoth then apply the dye:thumbsup

Without filling will still look very good as the part thats worn will be back to colour but the cracks will still be there

#28 ·
come on nicky dont let us down mate.....:frown:frown

we need our mobile disco on hand for some toooones....:lol:lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.