Save £100 By Fixing Your Key Fob - Page 4

Notices

Thread: Save £100 By Fixing Your Key Fob

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Can anyone help with a 1996 E36 fob transfer to key? 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Sever's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    I have a 96 E36 Coupe with seperate key and remote, does anyone know if i can swap over from the bulky fob to key with Alarm buttons built in? BMW obviously say it can not be done, but after reading some of the help posts on here, I became a member, as you guys all seem great and know how the undoable can become doable!

Cheers,

Noobie today! All help greatly appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

3. Didn't work for me 
    BMW Master
    Car Details
    thegentleway's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by yahoo1918 View Post
    Hi

Well as most of us know BMW will have us believe the batteries cannot be replaced and instead have to part with £100 ish for a new key fob.....read on, there is a way of changing the rechargable battery

First Pic: Original Key

Second Pic: Take a stanley or xacto knife and basically carefully cut the key open along the seam where the top and bottom joined...Start at the top where the keyring goes through and be careful not to go too deep and damage the insides.

Third Pic: Next take small chisel and brake the spot welds on the battery that connect it to the rest of the circuit board.

Fourth Pic: The battery you will need is a Panasonic VL20203v.It is then a simple matter of soldering the new one in and making sure everything fits back together. (remember to put the positive and negative the right way round)

Fith Pic: Unit superglued back together

Then reprogramme:

Put the working key in the ignition. Turn to position 2 for like 1 second then back and remove the key.

Press and hold the "unlock" button then press the "lock" button 3 times, you should hear all the locks cycle through.

Now take the non working key and press and hold the "unlock" button then press the "lock" button 3 times.

Then turn the ignition on and off again to end the programming.

##A few things to remember##

Worth a shot only if its your spare key that is not working, you have nothing to lose (apart from a £6 battery). Would not advise you do it if you only have one key (as you may not be able to use the key at all if you make a mistake).

Be careful when opening the sealed key not to slice your fingers too much

Before glueing back together, tightly band the key back together first and test it

Finally

I cannot take credit for this instead it goes to Jason 77 in California Big thanks I believe form all of us, its going to save some of us a lot of money.

This is not guaranteed to work as your fob may be faulty and a replacement battery will not solve this.

If it is your battery that is the problem and you do it correctly it will work.

I have a battery on order and will post back in a week or so once I've given it a shot
    I replaced the battery, the key now starts the engine which is didn't use to but I can't reprogram so still no remote central locking

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    joylove's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    cabrio

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sever View Post
    I have a 96 E36 Coupe with seperate key and remote, does anyone know if i can swap over from the bulky fob to key with Alarm buttons built in? BMW obviously say it can not be done, but after reading some of the help posts on here, I became a member, as you guys all seem great and know how the undoable can become doable!

Cheers,

Noobie today! All help greatly appreciated
    The built in remote/key needs a different ZKE fitting and coding, along with the alarm remote receiver/demodulator in the rear view mirror.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Shogun112's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    I have a question I have not seen asked yet... My spare key is dog bitten and broken... I took out the circuit board, and the teeth got to that too.. So.. I ask Dealer and £140 for new key programmed... I dont wanna pay that if I can get away with that... People seem to sell used BMW keys of Ebay...

If i but a key off ebay... take it apart... put the top button panel and circuit board together with the back panel of my spare key (which is the panel that has the cut metal key part)... And then reprogramme in the method shown on here to get the remote to work with my E60?

I see people sell plain key blanks with no circuit board, but thats no good to me, i need a circuit board.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    thehotairballoon's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    touring

Thanks
    just brought new motor and 1 keys dead will try and hopefully have two working keys

7. only one key, and not working 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    mickiemcfist's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Hi,

I only have one key and its not working, so whats the worst case scenario if i put in a battery and it doesn't work.

Do bmw copy the original key you have or do they have a database full of every cars details so they can make them?

Thanks

8. Re battery 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Swerve74's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d se
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Cheers

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    stig247's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    has anyone instead of superglueing the case back together purchased a new casing of ebay, just wanting to know if they are click back together bits instead of glueing

10. 2006 e90 330d 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    GregE240's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330D SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Hi folks

First post...

I have just bought myself in to E90 ownership - and my car (private sale) came with a non-working key. It can start and stop the car, but it will not open or lock the doors. I did get two keys with the car, and the other works fine.

I telephoned a dealer who advises me the key is knackered and its about £120 for a new one.

My key is one of the "in dash" keys that supposedly charges whilst it is in the dash slot. Well, mine was in there today for a few hours (about 4), as well as about 4 hours yesterday, and its still dead.

My car *does not* have Comfort Access, therefore, does not have a replaceable battery. Has anyone taken one of these keys apart? Is there a how-to?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
    Greg

Ultra Platinum BFuk Member
    Car Details
    MackemX's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3 I wish!
    Year of Manufacture:
    Brand New
    Transmission Type:
    Flippy Paddle
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GregE240 View Post
    Hi folks

First post...

I have just bought myself in to E90 ownership - and my car (private sale) came with a non-working key. It can start and stop the car, but it will not open or lock the doors. I did get two keys with the car, and the other works fine.

I telephoned a dealer who advises me the key is knackered and its about £120 for a new one.

My key is one of the "in dash" keys that supposedly charges whilst it is in the dash slot. Well, mine was in there today for a few hours (about 4), as well as about 4 hours yesterday, and its still dead.

My car *does not* have Comfort Access, therefore, does not have a replaceable battery. Has anyone taken one of these keys apart? Is there a how-to?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
    Greg
    Hi Greg, welcome to the forums have you opened your key yet?

I've got an old E90 key (I'm sure it's a non replaceable battery fob) as I've been meaning to do a guide to replacing a battery for a few months now. Although it's easy once you know how, if you need it then I will knock a guide up in the next day or so including pictures

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast