Individual e36 323i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    **** UPDATE 11/08/10
    I dont know why I havent put this in earlier but you must have a look at Billys great thread on the alarms if you are having trouble with them.

Also if you find a thread useful please thank the person using the Thanks button

**** UPDATE 15/11/09
    I have found out that not all receivers are located in the same place so you may have to look for yours. DragonLogic found his under the carpet as stated in the post below so keep your eye out
    Also I didnt see this before but it is very helpful Pangsters 3G alarm Post and Ronnies 3G alarm post may be very useful to you too.

Hi Folks,

This is not a how-to more a, this-is-what-I-did. Below is a picture of the fob used.

Anyway you need to take your glove box out. It's quite simple, 8 cross head screws need to be removed. Two at the top in the air vent corners, two at the top of the box door, two just above the box hinges and two underneath the box where it meets the cardboard with your foot light in it.

Once you have the box out you should see something quite similar to the photo below. My alarm module (black) is tight in the corner and is difficult to access. My one is held on with just one screw. The arrow shows you where it is.

I don't know what the big silver module is but it's held on by two bolts and is very annoying. Even tho I loosened the silver module off it's still quite difficult to get the alarm module out. Below is the two bolts for the silver module.

Once you have gained access to the module you will see that the receiver has the wire aerial coming out of it. The photo below shows the receiver highlighted in red. You can take the receiver off of the module but only do this if you have a working fob as the alarm activates when the receiver is removed. I havent removed the receiver this time as I didnt need to but if you want to it just lifts straight up off the pins.

You will see a small hole possibly covered by a rubber gromet. Underneath this hole is a small switch. The switch should be in normal mode. When you flick it over (I just used a small allen key I had to hand) it will be in the coding mode. All you need to do is press the red button once of EACH fob that you want to work with the system then flick the switch back to normal mode.

Lets say you have a fob already working and your adding another. This means when the switch is in coding mode you will press the red button of your working fob. The alarm should activate but dont worry. Then press the red button of the second fob. Nothing will happen this time. Then flick the switch back to normal mode and your done.

i say done but I found the hardest part of all this is getting the module back in place and secured, it's a lot of fiddling. So before you do put the module back make sure you test all the fobs your trying to activate.

Hope that helps. This is how I got two extra fobs working so I now have 3 working fobs. I will not take any responsibility for your actions.

Class--
    Last edited by Class--; 11-08-2010 at 03:36. Reason: Updating info

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Class-- For This Useful Post:

Brain (23-01-2010),daymoon (09-12-2010),DragonLogicX (22-01-2010),haggis (16-11-2009),Hoffmani (29-11-2009),Sanchez582 (28-12-2010),steve23002 (07-09-2009)

3. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

LGB
    BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    LGB's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Good write up. Some models will not have the silver box which i think is an ABS module. Mine does not as built into the module on the pump. Also the hole in the reciever on mine does not line up with the switch at all, it's no where near so mine had to be pulled apart to program! Also you can press the grey button to program the fob, nothing happens, but it does work!!
    E36 - 318is - M-Tech
    (EU12335)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LGB For This Useful Post:

Class-- (07-09-2009)

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Class--'s Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Individual e36 323i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Thanks mate. Couldn#t of done it without your help.

Class--

7. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

8. Another place your alarm module could be lol 
    BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    DragonLogicX's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i Sport Coupe & 328i SE Saloon & M3 Coupe
    Year of Manufacture:
    1998 & 1996 & 1997
    Transmission Type:
    All Manual :D
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe, Saloon & Coupe
    Thanks
    FYI
    I had trouble locating my alarm module in my '98 e36 328i sport, and it was hidden at the back under the carpet of the passenger footwell.

See bottom right of pic.

Just in case your looking and can't find it in the normal place lmao

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DragonLogicX For This Useful Post:

Brain (23-01-2010),Class-- (17-11-2009),haggis (16-11-2009)

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Class--'s Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Individual e36 323i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Excellent should help a few folks. Its good to point out that the rubber gromet on the right side of Dragon's black receiver is where the switch is located. So no need to pull the receiver from its mountings as you would just take the gromet out and then flick the switch there. Good photo :thumbs

Class--
    Please note the above post has been typed by a complete imbecile

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    DragonLogicX's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i Sport Coupe & 328i SE Saloon & M3 Coupe
    Year of Manufacture:
    1998 & 1996 & 1997
    Transmission Type:
    All Manual :D
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe, Saloon & Coupe
    Thanks
    Re-igniting this thread - still a good write up

FYI I also found the alarm module in my 325i '94 was also under the carpet

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DragonLogicX For This Useful Post:

Class-- (13-02-2010)

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    imadaveli's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330e
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    ive tried this ALSO n it dosent work my alarm dosnt work the switch was on the left side i pushed to the right n tried it didnt do anything. but the alarm activates when i take the reciever off the pins n put it back but the key dnt work n it dosnt switch it off or put it on n when i take the reciever off n on again the alarm stops working all together

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Tiffster's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    523 i SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Hi,

Would this carry over to the E39 by chance ? My alarm is going off when i use my fob to unlock the car.... Was wondering if the two needed re-synced together or something.

Thanks.

BMW Master
    Car Details
    cooperjohn's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    i baught my car with no fob what so ever if does have the alarm and i tested the total closuer thingy by holding the lock shut for 5 seconds, if i get a fob off ebay and flick the switch to coding mode press the button on the fob then switch it back to normal mode is that it?

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Class--'s Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Individual e36 323i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffster View Post
    Hi,

Would this carry over to the E39 by chance ? My alarm is going off when i use my fob to unlock the car.... Was wondering if the two needed re-synced together or something.

Thanks.
    TBH mate I dont think so. The reason being it is synced as it is opening the doors when you press the button. If they werent synced nothing would happen. Hope you got it sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by cooperjohn View Post
    i baught my car with no fob what so ever if does have the alarm and i tested the total closuer thingy by holding the lock shut for 5 seconds, if i get a fob off ebay and flick the switch to coding mode press the button on the fob then switch it back to normal mode is that it?
    Might be the time of the night that I'm not totally following your question but here goes
    If you have a 3G alarm and buy the correct fob, yes it will be a simple case of flick the switch push the button then flick the switch back. This would sync your fob to the module. As for the full closure i'm not too sure if that will work. My car only closes the windows if I hold the key in the locked position in the door. It does not open my windows if I keep the key in the open position. Although my windows close with the key they DO NOT shut with the fob. I dont know if thats because I have a fault or just not setup properly but thats what I've got

Good luck guys

Class--
    Please note the above post has been typed by a complete imbecile

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast