Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    2 door vert
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,626 Times in 4,238 Posts
    Hi guys
    well i thought i try and give you my take on this as from what i have seen so far the installs are far to complicated and with a little thought can be carried out using gen bmw parts which is allways good IMO, i did use this site as this guy was so nearly there and it may help you further more

http://www.rmeuropean.com/bmw-m50-manifold.aspx

so here goes

PARTS YOU WILL NEED

1 X M50 Vacum hose and connector( this is the connecting hose to the back of the manifold.
    1 x T section 22mm connector( you can get these from any garden centre's or you can use a copper 22mm T section from you plumbers)
    1 x M50 ICV hose ( hose used to run up to your maf boot)
    7 x 25mm sir clips
    1 x streight connector and a small section off hose ( size to come)
    6 x manifold gasket + if you use the 328 throttle body 2 x gaskets, 1 for the manifold and i for the body, i'll explain later in the thread
    1 x replacement ICV hose to maf boot

Ok so lets start
    remove the fuel injector cover, unplug the O2 sensors, unbolt the fuel rail and carefully pry the injectors together with the fuel rail out of the manifold. Next, remove your air box, intake boot and MAF. Carefully unclip the ASC+T throttle cable from the secondary throttle body. Remove your alternator cooling duct and unplug the throttle position sensor as well as the purge valve (on some earlier cars the purge valve is mounted to the shock tower so just leave it alone). Unbolt your throttle body and lay it to the side. Now unbolt the bracket that holds the idle control valve and the oil dipstick tube. Pop the idle control valve out of the manifold, unbolt your oil separator and start unbolting the intake manifold.

Once the manifold is out of the way cut the zip ties that hold the wiring harness to the bracket on the engine block. Remove the bracket and install an OBD-I bracket part number 12-52-1-724-264 in its place. OBD-I bracket will need to be slightly modified. A hole at the bottom of it will need to be enlarged to 8mm and at the top it will need to be bent slightly to clear the bracket near the back of the engine. You will also have to loosen the front knock sensor and turn it slightly to clear the bracket. Make sure you torque the knock sensor back to specs. Once the OBD-I bracket is installed start attaching the wiring harness to it with zip ties. The reason I used an OBD-I bracket is because it has a holder for the idle control valve on it.

Bolt up two OBD-I manifold brackets to your block. Part numbers for the brackets are 11-61-1-735-265 and 11-61-1-738-759. Please note how the new brackets mount to different locations on the block. Front bracket mounts to a threaded hole in the block right behind the engine mount and the rear bracket mounts to an engine mount itself.

Now it is time to sort out all of the hoses. I used an OBD-I hose 13-41-1-738-185, and installed a T-fitting into it. Your oil separator and ICV will connect to this vacuum source. The air pump control valve hose will connect directly to the connector 11-61-1-738-929 that clips into the back of the manifold. To connect the oil separator to the T-fitting I used an idle control valve hose 13-41-1-435-781. This hose is the one that connects the idle control valve to the INTAKE BOOT, I simply cut it into several sections, the u bend section io used to connect to the oil separator and the streight section i used to connect to the ICV, so thats the main hoses done, all that is left is to fit a length of extension hose to the vacum manifold connector and then if you look you will see a vacum sorce no the underside off the manifold connect your fuel rail vacum hose to this and then all that is left is the vacum hose from your purge valve, this can be connected after the install of the manifold.

YOU CAN SEE HERE I USE THE FULL HOSE AND DID NOT CUT IT INTO SECTIONS

OK
    so once the new gaskets are fitted, install the maniflod and then connect the standard hose and fitting on to the back off the manifold, you will need small hands, but its not to bad, then once this is completed connect the purge valve hose to the extension you fitted and thats all the pipe work taken care off

Throttle Body
    Right if you don't have a m50 throttle body and want to use the 328 one, then you will need to use both gaskets, as the m50 body does not have one and uses the manifold gasket for sealing, the m52 body does have a gasket, so make sure you use both and also some gasket seal, there's a small lip the runs around the gasket where you can install the sealant, once this is complete install the body and job done and last but not lease install you new ICV hose to you boot maf and all is completed.

Please feel free to pm me if you have any questions, i have done my best to explain, and all this was completed for around £140 which includes the manifold, enjoy the power

ps i will edit as if i see any further advise i feel you may require

good luck and hope this helps
    Last edited by RJB328i; 15-02-2010 at 22:54.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to RJB328i For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

BallisticBanana (23-03-2012),bigman_328i_sport (13-07-2010),Ferret (08-06-2010),Jackmcl (18-10-2011),Just-Ignore (12-02-2011),MarkG328iSport (16-02-2010),MONSTER (20-03-2011),rumpleforeskin (23-05-2010),steve23002 (16-02-2010),xXNealXx (15-02-2010),xXxStKxXx (15-02-2010)

3. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    xXxStKxXx's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    man
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Thanked 6,073 Times in 4,855 Posts
    Nice one RJB

5. The Following User Says Thank You to xXxStKxXx For This Useful Post:

RJB328i (15-02-2010)

Bimmer Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,115 Times in 5,338 Posts
    Ditto...good guide Ralph

7. The Following User Says Thank You to xXNealXx For This Useful Post:

RJB328i (15-02-2010)

8. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Platinum BFuk Member
    Car Details
    gunner1's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    convertible
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,632 Times in 1,088 Posts
    nice one mate
    bill

10. The Following User Says Thank You to gunner1 For This Useful Post:

roast (30-04-2012)

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    nicksource's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Hey,

Did you use the conversion kit off eBay, was that plus the manifold everything you needed?

What tools are required?

And I assume it's straight forward, just time consuming, how long did it take?

Thanks,
    Nick.

12. When to do the M50 ODB1 Conversion 
    BMW Guru
    Car Details
    E36Coupe328's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328 + 325
    Year of Manufacture:
    1995 + 1994
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,090 Times in 957 Posts
    Hi,

I have a July '95 328 Coupe. I know the management system is not OBD2, So I guess the grandfathered OBD1 monica applies. I believe the engine is an M52 (someone will probably tell me they all are?).

Anyway can someone post a definitive when to use this mod or point me to the criteria? As the manifold used is an M50 is it applicable to all M52 328?

Another question. Probably a newby one. I understand most of this is because the manifold to head ports are smaller in the flange. Is it the case that matching the flange to a "wide port" gasket would five most of the benefit without parts hunting or are the runners narrower too?

Thanks.

13. Criteria for this mod 
    BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328 + 325
    Year of Manufacture:
    1995 + 1994
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    I have a July '95 328 Coupe, M52 engine I believe.

What are the criteria for this mod to know if it applies?

My cars management is not OBD2 so the grandfathered OBD1 term should apply.

Additionally is it possible to just match the original inlet flange to the head / manifold gasket or are the runners narrower as well on the later manifold?

Thanks

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328 + 325
    Year of Manufacture:
    1995 + 1994
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    So what car or cars and or part numbers are the ones to use?

No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.

Free Gas Kit* now fitted to free 328*

*Based on ROI period exceeded

Dr of BMW
    Car Details
    CharleyNokia's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    323i SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Images
    Thanks
    The plenum chamber is from an early spec E36 325(91-94). This car has an M50 engine. The conversion applies to LATER spec cars with the M52 engine, found in E36 323 and 328, and E39 523 and 528.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    marcus's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e36 328 sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    if i post some pics of mine is there any way you could tell me whats wrong with it. have got a m50 manifold and paid the guy i got it off to fit it but there is two pipes just sat there doin nothing now. and iv had to bodge a pipe on the rocker cover breather.