How to Change your rear brake lines, on most coupe models.

Notices
 

Thread: How to Change your rear brake lines, on most coupe models.

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. How to Change your rear brake lines, on most coupe models. 
    #1
    BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    newby's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318is
    Year of Manufacture:
    1993 (june)
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    109
    Thanks
    61
    Thanked 22 Times in 10 Posts
    Not sure if this will apply for 4 doors too:

    Here you are gents:

     
     

  2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to newby For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked

    Biertakt (18-11-2011),Disco Stu (12-01-2010),Ferret (14-08-2010),Gus247 (11-07-2012),lashash (11-10-2010),pl1982 (28-04-2013),Ronnie (23-02-2009),Sphinx (27-07-2010),TheColonel (07-07-2011),Wanda (19-10-2012),xXNealXx (22-02-2009)

  3. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements
     

  4.  
    #2
    Bimmer Fan
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    1,817
    Thanked 7,115 Times in 5,338 Posts
    Brilliant newby . Home made videos are the best for DIY projects. BTW, it applies to saloons as well....and I'm sure you mentioned Bimmerforums UK right at the end, right?....
     
     

  5.  
    #3
    BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    davenicoll's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    1996
    Transmission Type:
    auto
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ilkeston,Derbyshire
    Posts
    564
    Thanks
    68
    Thanked 76 Times in 63 Posts
    Nice one mate. Hopefully the information gained from everybody helped you bud. Did you feel the need to take the prop off at all? Or like I said...you dont have to
     
     

  6.  
    #4
    Banned
    Car Details
    awais318iS's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318iS
    Year of Manufacture:
    1994
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    north london
    Posts
    110
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    great video - but would have been great if the video was filmed by a helper while the job was actually being done.... and not just a clip showing the underside of a e36 ..

    also just a thought but I thought that copper exposed to the elements is not great, thats y BMW and most car manufacturers use under body seleants/protection for breaklines etc

    ....but hey great dedication
     
     

  7.  
    #5
    BFuk Legend
    Car Details
    steve23002's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530i Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    2002
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    steve23002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Buckingham
    Posts
    11,712
    Thanks
    8,589
    Thanked 8,379 Times in 5,803 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by awais318iS View Post
    great video - but would have been great if the video was filmed by a helper while the job was actually being done.... and not just a clip showing the underside of a e36 ..

    also just a thought but I thought that copper exposed to the elements is not great, thats y BMW and most car manufacturers use under body seleants/protection for breaklines etc

    ....but hey great dedication
    Copper doesnt corrode like steel. Thats why copper is used for home plumbing
     
     

  8.  
    #6
    Banned
    Car Details
    awais318iS's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318iS
    Year of Manufacture:
    1994
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    north london
    Posts
    110
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    MMmm true but home plumbing is not exposed to the outdoors and if its is - its covered with foam insualtion pipe padding to prevent mainly freezing, but on a vehicle espcially underneath the car wheres theres always water mud ETC, it may not rust but over a period of time it cant be great.

    So easy to see why vehicle manufacuters including BMW dont use exposed copper,,, however copper breaklines are ok , its just the newby is new , coating the exposed pipes would have been the way,,,

    even in home plumbling , and corgi plumbers dont leave pipes exposed they are normally painted, its not only a cosmetic issue but a safeguard

    So the newby has done a great half job... which I dont thinks gonna be great for the another newbi who wants to replace break lines.

    Also BMW's are not about micky mouse fixes, the job may be done (half done) , and the breaks will probably be ok , but its just work you expect on a FORD or Vauxhall and not a Bimma.

    one more point Why do vehicle manufactures spend quite a bit of there profits on research,

    In other words why do BMWs leave the factory with this protective seleant on the breaklines????
    Last edited by awais318iS; 23-02-2009 at 13:13.
     
     

  9.  
    #7
    BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Ronnie's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    See above
    Year of Manufacture:
    Never too old, never too new
    Transmission Type:
    Always manual
    Car Body Type:
    Usually 5 doors
    Ronnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Bournemouth, Dorset.
    Posts
    20,394
    Thanks
    6,198
    Thanked 7,051 Times in 5,322 Posts
    Copper brake pipe is illegal in some countries hence why manufacturers don't use it, the copper brake pipe tubing that is used and sold here is very much different from the type found in a house, nearly 99% of tubing replaced on a car is done so with copper, even BMW don't sell the steel pipes pre bent, they will sell you a steel pipe that is straight and expect you to bend it to shape.

    I know because I've wasted my time doing one on a e36.
     
     

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ronnie For This Useful Post:

    awais318iS (24-02-2009),steve23002 (24-02-2009)

  11.  
    #8
    BFuk Legend
    Car Details
    steve23002's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530i Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    2002
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    steve23002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Buckingham
    Posts
    11,712
    Thanks
    8,589
    Thanked 8,379 Times in 5,803 Posts
    Ive got a feeling the pipe is a nickle/copper alloy.
    Doy you use copper pipe ronnie?
     
     

  12.  
    #9
    ron
    ron is offline
    BMW Master
    Car Details
    ron's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e36 328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    1996
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    half touring half pickup?

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    kidderminster
    Posts
    401
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked 272 Times in 203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by awais318iS View Post
    MMmm true but home plumbing is not exposed to the outdoors and if its is - its covered with foam insualtion pipe padding to prevent mainly freezing, but on a vehicle espcially underneath the car wheres theres always water mud ETC, it may not rust but over a period of time it cant be great.

    So easy to see why vehicle manufacuters including BMW dont use exposed copper,,, however copper breaklines are ok , its just the newby is new , coating the exposed pipes would have been the way,,,

    even in home plumbling , and corgi plumbers dont leave pipes exposed they are normally painted, its not only a cosmetic issue but a safeguard

    So the newby has done a great half job... which I dont thinks gonna be great for the another newbi who wants to replace break lines.

    Also BMW's are not about micky mouse fixes, the job may be done (half done) , and the breaks will probably be ok , but its just work you expect on a FORD or Vauxhall and not a Bimma.

    one more point Why do vehicle manufactures spend quite a bit of there profits on research,

    In other words why do BMWs leave the factory with this protective seleant on the breaklines????
    you will find that most manufacturers put a lifespan on anypart and aslong as it can reach that lifespan then its ok. there are far to many variables involved with things like this, for instance you mention about being exposed, there is no way to have an average lenght of time in wich a certain part will be exposed due to cars being manufatured for different parts of the world, for instance the x5 and z3 were originally built in the us where they use us grade metals etc but they are sold all over the world, this is where the lifespan part comes into it, aslong as it can meet that lifespan target then its ok, as with most things you expect them to wear down over a period of time this is made even worse with todays attitude, everything is throw away so it dosnt matter if it lasts 5 or 50 years aslong as they get their money
    BFUK full time clown.
     
     

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to ron For This Useful Post:

    steve23002 (24-02-2009)

  14.  
    #10
    BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Ronnie's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    See above
    Year of Manufacture:
    Never too old, never too new
    Transmission Type:
    Always manual
    Car Body Type:
    Usually 5 doors
    Ronnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Bournemouth, Dorset.
    Posts
    20,394
    Thanks
    6,198
    Thanked 7,051 Times in 5,322 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve23002 View Post
    Ive got a feeling the pipe is a nickle/copper alloy.
    Doy you use copper pipe ronnie?
    We use Kunifer bends really easy and has good corrosion prevention
     
     

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ronnie For This Useful Post:

    hamish262001 (27-02-2009),steve23002 (27-02-2009)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Tags for this Thread

View Tag Cloud

Posting Permissions
  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts