E46 320D EGR STAT replacement guide (with pics)

Notices

Thread: E46 320D EGR STAT replacement guide (with pics)

Reply to Thread
  1. E46 320D EGR STAT replacement guide (with pics) 
    BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    71660's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320D ES
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Hi all

This is a guide I put together for anybody that needs a helping hand. There is a very good video on youtube how to remove and replace but I thought I should put something up on the forum anyway, so here goes.

EGR valve install guide pics 021.jpg

What you will need to embarke on the challenge of a life is 1X Flat head screw driver, 1X T-25 Torx bit, 1X No5 allen bit, 1X rachet (i used a small one), and this is optional but i found it helped with a small extension piece. A little bit of ambition and a cup of tea to start with.

EGR valve install guide pics 005.jpg

Those are the two parts you will need, 1X EGR Thermostat and 1X O-Ring, I kept them in the packages so you can take the part numbers from them.

EGR valve install guide pics 006.jpg

You will now need to remove the Bolts that hold the engine cover in place and also pry the plastic clips that hold the air intake part in place(set of pliers will suffice). To remove the bolts you will need a SIZE 5 allen bolt, there are 5 bolts in total (see below too see the 5th).

EGR valve install guide pics 007.jpg

This is the 5th bolt located to right side of the engine cover (about 1inch above the ATF oil fill cap). After removing that bolt, to the immediate right is a hose thats fixed in place with a rubber shroud, with a little bit of effort the will simply come out (push it away from youfor it to release)

EGR valve install guide pics 008.jpg

After you have completed the above you can now remove the cover, it simply slides out. Put this to one side or let the dog chew on the edge, up to you

EGR valve install guide pics 009.jpg

Now there is the blighter, the black part with a bolt in either side of it. This is what needs to be replaced which i shall now show you.

EGR valve install guide pics 010.jpg

Right ok, in the bottom left is the EGR stat but to the top you will see a black pipe with 2 jubilie clips (i believe this is a vacum pipe), there is 1 bolt that holds this in place, I advise you remove this gain access to one of the bolts holding in the EGR stat. Too remove this you will need a T-25 Torx bit to get it out.

EGR valve install guide pics 011.jpg

This is the vacum pipe removed and move to one side you may find its a bit of PITA to move over as the pipe is rather rigid but its do-able. You now have clear access to the other bolt to make life a bit easier.

EGR valve install guide pics 013.jpg

Before you remove the EGR stat please take off the coolant fill cap to release any pressure in the system, wether the engine is hot or not I recommend this is done carefully so you do not injure your self in anyway. It also stops coolant spraying out of the pipe connected to the EGR stat and going all over the belts etc etc.

EGR valve install guide pics 012.jpg

Ok so now you have got the pressure out of the system (sort of) you can now loosen the jubilee clip that holds the pipe into the EGR stat, all you need is a flat head screw driver, but again be carefull incase any coolant squirts and or seeps out of the pipe or stat.

EGR valve install guide pics 014.jpg

Now with the coolant pipe removed and vacum pipe out of the way you can now begin to remove the bolts with a 10mm Socket, as you can see in the diagram there are 2 bolts. once they have been removed you can simply pull the EGR stat out (may need a little pull).

EGR valve install guide pics 015.jpg

With the old and duff EGR stat gone this is what it looks like when its removed, very simply device but the havoc it causes! anway moving on

EGR valve install guide pics 016.jpg

Well here we are, the new stat, you will see on the old stat where the O-Ring is located too, so simply push the O-Ring into place and put the new EGR stat into place, it may need a little push like I had to and you may feel a little jolt as it finds its way home (so to speak)

EGR valve install guide pics 017.jpg

With the new EGR stat in place rebolt and tighten them up, they dont need the power of the gods to tighten them up just enough so they are positively in place, after that get the coolant pipe push it back into your new EGR stat and tighten up your jubilee clip accordingly.

EGR valve install guide pics 018.jpg

I took this picture so you get a better idea on what the vacum pipe looks like and how the bolt is fitted, be carefull when putting this bolt or any bolt and or screw back, loosing it is like the end of the world and many blue words will be shouted and you may even make some of your own up in the process hehe

EGR valve install guide pics 019.jpg

After you have refitted the vacume pipe, tightened it up, made sure all is tight you can now be proud of yourself on a job well done but one thing you need to do before you fire the girl up is?????????

EGR valve install guide pics 020.jpg

Yes put the cap back on the coolant fill reservoir, then fire her up, go for a test drive make sure the car is getting up to temp and not living in the blue zone for an age but getting into the 12 o'clock position and stays there

I hope the above helps some of you out and serves well, any edits please tell me or and Qs please ask. My car since doing this little job is so different, its not munching diesel and its getting up to temp nicely. You can obtain this part from our forum vendors, this item is not available from ECP or GSF, you will have to obtain from Hereford BMW and or your local BMW dealer. its only about £35 so it wont break the bank and its a simple fix. It to me approx 45 mins to complete.

Kind Regards

Dan

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 71660 For This Useful Post:

bapu (04-03-2013),DaHorse (18-07-2012),ebowill (25-01-2013),freethoughtpolice (18-05-2012),loopysbro (08-05-2012), matthew_henson (22-04-2012),stevenstead (05-06-2012)

3. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    xXxStKxXx's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    man
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Thanked 6,073 Times in 4,855 Posts
    Nice guide

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    jim 320D's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320D
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    6 speed manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    Nice mate it's a easy job to do but only when you know how, so this should come in useful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

320d Tourer 11/2003

6. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

7. Stat done 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    l-o-m-a-x's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320D
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    M
    Car Body Type:
    T

Thanks
    Thanks this is an excellent guide - I did mine today and had to refer back to this to see how to get the that annoying vacuum pipe out the way to access the rear bolt.
    I got my ERG stat from Euro Car Parts - ordered on line with a discount code and free postage - for a bargain of £24 all in.
    I was expecting it to be a Hella Part as per the website - but it arrived as a Behr part which is the OEM brand - and it had actually had the BMW logo and part number ground off! So a totally genuine BMW part really – top marks to ECP.
    hopefully this will help my car get up to the right temp and achieving better fuel economy. I will be monitoring the temp via the hidden menu digital temp.
    Thanks OP.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    loopysbro's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d m tech sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    yes another great guide thanks, whats your opinion on removeing egr valve and doing a bypass??

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    stevenstead's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320D
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Can anybody confirm exactly how much air should pass through the stat before it's deemed knackered?

People say if you can breathe through it quite easily then it needs replacing, others say no air should pass through at all.

I've had mine off and there is resistance but I can breathe through it without too much effort. The car takes around 20 minutes to reach 90c using dash computer, whilst the needle takes around 8 minutes to reach 12 oclock.

Cheers.

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    andeep's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    323i w/ M50 turbo
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Thanks for that!

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    mjn77's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330D
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    My 330d sits at a couple of degrees off dead 12 o'clock straight, towards the blue, and i've noticed the mpg is slightly down, time to replce my EGR stat?

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Biotoxic's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E36 lawn mover and a E46 320d 6 speed manual.
    Year of Manufacture:
    96, 04
    Transmission Type:
    Manual, Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe, Touring

Thanks
    Hi, so is this another temperature meter thingy or like a "MAF/MAP" or what exactly? Just wondering..