BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

Clutch Stop Modification How To.

22K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  mike661 
#1 ·
A few members..(shox :hihi) went and bought a clutch stop from america for £9.50.. its basically just a bolt but they try fob you off with some poo talk so i decided ide make one... And it looks a lot more sturdy than their one! :lol

Heres what they are selling..

Clutchstopper

Went to my local nut and bolt type place and got:

1 x 10mm threaded rod connector.

1 x 10mm threaded rod or bolt.

Cost me a pound.. :thumbsup

Tools you will need:

Hacksaw.

Vice is handy.

Loctite.

• I first took the old clutch stop out.
  • Then screwed it into the connector.
  • Then inserted the bolt into the connector.
  • Cut the bolt/rod leaving about 25mm out of the connector.
  • Fit it to the car and turn the engine on and engage 1st gear.. If its stiff then dont force it take it back out and chop more of the bolt off.
  • Keep adjusting until the connector is flush with the floor. This will give you the tiniest bit of travel before the clutch engages.
  • If you find it too long still then you will have to cut the connector. :thumbsup
  • If your happy with the results then loctite the bolt/rod into the connector but i didnt loctite the old clutch stop incase i wanted to remove it. :thumbsup

Vehicle Compatibility
Compatibility by chassis: E21, E30, E36, E46, E28, E34, E39, E60, E24, E38

Compatibility by model: BMW 318, 318i, 318is, 318ti, 323, 323i, 323is, 325, 325i, 325is, 325ix,325xi, 328, 328i, 328is, 330, 330i, 330is, 330xi, 335i, M3, M5, M6, 2002, Z3, Z4, M roadster,M coupe, MZ3, 525, 525i, 528, 528i, 530, 530i, 540, 540i, 540iA, Alpina, Z8, 1 series, 3 series, 5 series

The Clutchstopper clutch stop fits other BMW models with a factory OEM clutch stop from 1982 - 2005 (includes 2006 M3).

Hope this helps guys.. :thumbsup

See less See more
#10 ·
Just seen this post ben,

After fitting my £9.50p one (well... like I said on compact corner, someone had to bite the bullet and try it :hihi) from the USA, I have recommended it to anyone who has the thread in their car to fit one. Its defintely an improvement over not having one. I saw plenty of others reccomend it on another forum so thought I would try it.

It means you can adjust how far you bring up the clutch pedal before it hits biting point.
This is the bonus, as you can set it to your own prefference, rather than not having the option to do so.

On my car there was no clutchstop (they do come as standard), so there was alot of dead space - fully pressing clutch down the the floor.

I guess this means by fitting a clutchstop you can get to the biting point quicker, which is good for times such as start stop traffic on hills etc. Also means less pressure on the clutch pedal, so after a long day of start stop driving your knee / leg doesnt ache as much :)

Cant go wrong buying/fitting one tbh. And getting a nut and bolt from a local hardware shop / B&Q is not going to break the bank !

Try it and then if its pants you can blame me for a bad reccommendation :hihi

This post has been deleted
#22 ·
very interesting, an amazingly simple yet effective idea ive never heard or thought about......will give it a go and report

#24 ·
Just done this on my 330ci today :) Thanks alot for this wee DIY!!

cost me 65p for a m10 bolt n joint and took me about 20min to get set up in the car right. stalled twice after putting it in but after a wee drive and moving my seat back abit its amazing!

Joint

note the big dirty mark where the back of the pedal was catching the carpet!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.