BMW E61 535D Window Trim Removal and Vinyl Wrapping - E60, 5 Series - Picture Heavy!!!!

Notices

Thread: BMW E61 535D Window Trim Removal and Vinyl Wrapping - E60, 5 Series - Picture Heavy!!!!

Reply to Thread
  1. BMW E61 535D Window Trim Removal and Vinyl Wrapping - E60, 5 Series - Picture Heavy!!!! 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    andyg0141's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    535D
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    The window trims on my 2007 BMW E61 535D have bothered me since I got it due to the poor condition of the trims. This seems to be a common problem on all cars and made the search for replacement 2nd hand trims pointless. I asked the dealer for a price for the 22 pieces of trim I would require but when they started talking about the high hundreds, I was quickly put off. I looked into getting them wrapped professionally but even they were looking for between £250 and £400 between the 4 companies I was recommended. I decided to have a go at wrapping them myself and thought I would make a DIY guide of how to remove the trim pieces to do so. Most companies just wrap them in situ. I decided to take them off to make it easier for me learning to wrap and also to make sure I could make as good a job as possible (I don’t see how they can wrap properly upto seals etc with them in situ)! This guide will just cover the removal of the trims. Best off watching a few YouTube videos for the wrapping side of things.

I done a lot of research into the best vinyl to use before hand and eventually settled on HEXIS HEX’Press Gloss Black which I am really happy with. It was easy to work with an the finish was great. Cheapest place I could find it was from an eBay seller (autopin_uk) – see here : HEXIS HEX'Press Gloss Black Wrap Vinyl 400mm x 1520mm

I was doing it over the Christmas holidays and ran out of vinyl between Christmas and New Year but the seller managed to get another roll out to me next day so I would highly recommend him!

Before

A few pictures from before – you can see the mess the trims were in. I tried various polishes / cutting compounds by hand and machine to restore them but nothing worked. Think they were too far gone.

Before 1 by Andy Gallacher, on Flickr

Before 2 by Andy Gallacher, on Flickr

Before 3 by Andy Gallacher, on Flickr

Before 4 by Andy Gallacher, on Flickr

Before 5 by Andy Gallacher, on Flickr

After polish by Andy Gallacher, on Flickr

Before 6 by Andy Gallacher, on Flickr

Front door trims

There are 3 front door trims – the weatherbar at the bottom, the upper trim that curves around the door top and the upright that is at the door edge. I managed to remove all 3 by bending the plastic trim that wraps around the inside of the window rather than taking the doorcard off (see picture x below).

The weatherbar is removed starting from the door edge. I used trim tools shown to start prising it straight up the way. I then got a cloth in the edge of it to help me pull it up and slowly worked along the door. Take it easy and keep pushing it back down then pulling it up again to break the seal and make it easier to remove. Don’t pull too hard or you will bend it and it will probably need replaced! I done this with 1 of mine but thankfully managed to straighten it with a bit of heat and a big hammer! It will lift straight up and slide out from the front mirror slightly.

Front weatherbar 1 by Andy Gallacher, on Flickr

Front weatherbar 2 by Andy Gallacher, on Flickr

Front weatherbar 3 by Andy Gallacher, on Flickr

Front weatherbar 4 by Andy Gallacher, on Flickr

Front weatherbar 4 by Andy Gallacher, on Flickr

Next is the upper trim. To get to this, pop the door seal off as shown in the picture – it just pulls out. Once out, you can see the clips which hold it on pictured. Use a block of wood and, starting at the mirror end, tap gently with a hammer away from the door to release. Keep working up and down the door (but not right to the edge as the trim wraps around the door and you will bend it). It will eventually work its way off.

Front top trim 1 by Andy Gallacher, on Flickr

Front top trim 2 by Andy Gallacher, on Flickr

Front top trim 3 by Andy Gallacher, on Flickr

Front top trim 4 by Andy Gallacher, on Flickr

Finally, the upright trim. Its held on by 3 screws which are hidden by the window seal. To get in to them, first bend the plastic trim away that wraps around the inside of the window. Then you are able to pop out the fabric / rubber window seal to reveal the 3 screws. Remove these and you simply slide the trim up and out to release.

Front upright trim 1 by Andy Gallacher, on Flickr

Front upright trim 2 by Andy Gallacher, on Flickr

Front upright trim 3 by Andy Gallacher, on Flickr

Front upright trim 4 by Andy Gallacher, on Flickr

Rear door trims

The rear weatherbar is similar to the front. Prise it straight up and it will release. Start at the front of the car and work backwards – where the upright is for the fixed window in the rear door, the trim narrows somewhat and is seriously weaker. This is the trim I bent and it was because I started at the back of the car and got to the weaker part before the majority of the trim was released and it buckled!

Mid weatherbar 1 by Andy Gallacher, on Flickr

Mid weatherbar 2 by Andy Gallacher, on Flickr

Next, the top trim. This is very similar to the front door however, the doorcard needed to be removed to get the uprights off so I don’t this first. I wont cover this – plenty guides on how to do it but basically its 2 screws on the outer edge and brute force to release the poppers. After that, you can remove the plastic trim that surrounds inside the window as shown and then pop off the door seal at the upper trim. This will allow you to see the clips that hold it on and again, use a block of wood and a hammer to chap the trim away from the door and off.

Mid top trim 1 by Andy Gallacher, on Flickr

Mid top trim 2 by Andy Gallacher, on Flickr

Mid top trim 3 by Andy Gallacher, on Flickr

Mid top trim 4 by Andy Gallacher, on Flickr

Finally, the 3 upright trims. The front-most one is held on with 3 screws hidden behind the window seal (as shown in picture 5 below and is the same as front door trim). The middle one is 3 screws from the inside of the door (as shown in picture 2 below - these were revealed when the plastic trim was removed) and the rear one is 3 screws that go into the door edge and are hidden behind the seal as pictured in no. 6 below. Its just a case of removing these screws and sliding them out.

Mid upright trims 1 by Andy Gallacher, on Flickr

Mid upright trims 2 by Andy Gallacher, on Flickr

Mid upright trims 3 by Andy Gallacher, on Flickr

Mind upright trtims 4 by Andy Gallacher, on Flickr

Mid upright trims 5 by Andy Gallacher, on Flickr

Mid upright trims 6 by Andy Gallacher, on Flickr

Mid upright trims 7 by Andy Gallacher, on Flickr

Rear window trims

The last 3 trims to do are the rear window trims. The weatherbar (bottom one) comes off first, then the top trim that wraps around the top of the window and finally, the upright trim which I couldn’t remove without taking off a lot of interior trim so it’s the only one I decided to wrap in place!

Weatherbar first – starting from the rear door, prise it out, away from the car – not up the way like the other 2!! Keep working along and it will eventually pop off.

Rear weatherbar 1 by Andy Gallacher, on Flickr

Rear weatherbar 2 by Andy Gallacher, on Flickr

Rear weatherbar 3 by Andy Gallacher, on Flickr

The upper trim next, again start at the rear door and pop the trim away from the car. It comes off fairly easy in comparison to others – just need to work your way around until its off.

Rear top trim 1 by Andy Gallacher, on Flickr

Rear top trim 2 by Andy Gallacher, on Flickr

Rear top trim 3 by Andy Gallacher, on Flickr

The upright trim was easy to wrap in place. Just need to heat the vinyl enough to stretch it round the edges and you can tuck it quite neatly in.

Rear upright 1 by Andy Gallacher, on Flickr

Rear upright 2 by Andy Gallacher, on Flickr

Rear upright 3 by Andy Gallacher, on Flickr

Finished result

Below are a few pictures of the finished result. I am extremely happy with how it turned out and it’s a massive improvement! The car needed a clean and polish but that was enough work for a while so it had to wait.

After 1 by Andy Gallacher, on Flickr

After 2 by Andy Gallacher, on Flickr

After 3 by Andy Gallacher, on Flickr

After 4 by Andy Gallacher, on Flickr

After 5 by Andy Gallacher, on Flickr

Any questions / comments please fire away.

Cheers, Andy

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andyg0141 For This Useful Post:

dailydoggy (23-01-2017), mcbonio (23-01-2017)

3. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Car Details
    mcbonio's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530d LCI Msport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Car Body Type:
    Images
    Thanks
    You're a bloody sadist... Excellent work.!

Please take 2 minutes to read the POSTING RULES, FOR SALE RULES, & HOW TO CORRECT THREAD TITLES - Help us, to help you!