Model of Car:
    325 ti compact sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    leadfoot sport trip
    Car Body Type:
    compact
    Thanks
    There are those who still use maps, and I have no objections to people making that choice, nor do the staff at the old folks home who look after them.

Joking aside, a map may have all the information (and even though I have a satnav, there is still an A to Z in the car), but it does mean you have to do some planning. A satnav allows you to fly blind and just follow the instructions as they happen. An a to z means you need to sit and plan a route, often making a planned list of junctions and the like. Personally, I HATE having to sit and plan a route from a map. Especially with an a to z where the joins at the binder were often a real pita.

Satnavs are here to stay. Those that use them will swear by them. While people like my pensioner stepdad would not allow one in his car. Similarly, my uncle drives trucks for a living and says they are useless to him due to small lanes and low bridges not being in the software (though if memory serves there are truck friendly satnavs available now).

So, to answer the question lierally:- whats wrong with a map? fiddly. More dangerous than a sat nav as you may need to visually check the notes you wrote instead of listening to the satnav direct you. Awkward if things change as you have to sit down and replan (if motorway section is closed for example), whereas with a satnav you can often just deviate from course and it will get you back again. Map is only useful if you dont miss a turnoff, where a replan may again be necessary.

Plus, I think a map is only really useful to people who have some idea of roughly where they are going in the first place. By that, I mean someone who knows roughly where places are in relation to them. Say somebody in manchester wants to get somewhere in preston. If they have a rough idea of where preston already is, then they can set off there and stop off en route for a coffee and a quick map read to find final location.

for someone who has little geographical road knowledge, sat nav will be essential.

The phrase 'I hate satnavs' though can only be a personal thing. I on the other hand have nothing but respect for my little tom tom and wouldnt be without it.
    Last edited by Diablo944; 15-05-2009 at 23:28. Reason: spelling as always
    2002 325 Compact Sport ti M-Tec---- A little thanks goes a long way

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Deano16v's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    745i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,001 Posts
    its true, my other half wouldnt be without hers. I actually dont mind getting lost and trying to find my way back as its always handy to find new routes etc. The only time i think they come in useful is in town centres or very built up areas. My biggest bug bear is sometimes they force you to go against your instincts, in my experience anyway and that doesnt always result in the best/quickest route.
    agreed though they certainly are a personal preference and one which i can live without.

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    RicePipe's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    2011 520d M-sport touring. 2009 IS220d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    I hate Satnavs, but, that is an ingenious solution to a common concern. Good work 944.
    Mr Ricepipe - 2011 520d M-sport
    Mrs Ricepipe - 2009 IS220d Sport

Yes, BMW do own the outside lane, please move aside.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    granmist's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    520i se
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    hi liked this idea and have just tried it on mine, looks alot better than being stuck on the screen, and quicker to set in position

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    AUTOEMOTIONAL's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    323i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Lol thats fab mate, I hate the rings left too and try my best to clean them prior to leaving my car as its just a signal to tea leafs!

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    drewlad160387's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    323i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    auto
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    Thanks
    im not a freind of the sat nav now as they made me take the beamer down some narrow narrow country lane where i could not turn round and reversing back down said lane would of been a nightmare. i ended up doing aprooxx 2mph to avoid potholes,brfanches and other countless bushes that had overgrown.

i like the cassete idea thou it great but does it not slide out if u need to make a quick getaway at a juction

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Cendrian's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320td SE Compact (Sapphire Black Metal)
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Compact
    Images
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,054 Times in 726 Posts
    I have a Garmin Nuvi, and mount it on the windscreen. I too hate things 'getting in the way' however I can place mine safely in the lower center where its unobstructing and easy to reference. I rarely use satnavs for direct instructions, I tend to set the destination, turn the voice off (annoying as fark) and zoom out so I can see where I am relative to where I want to be.

I like it on the window, because its only a slight glance to look at it so you're not turning your head away from the road etc. Experimented with different placements, but find myself always putting it where its always been, as its most natural and acceptable for me personally.

As for the sucker marks left with the vacuum, I have window wipes in my drivers door so its not an issue

Dr of BMW
    Car Details
    Diablo944's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325 ti compact sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    leadfoot sport trip
    Car Body Type:
    compact
    Thanks
    I saw the weirdest (but functional) sat nav mount this week in a taxi. The guy had a shoelace fitted to the satnav and hooked it over his mirror, to keep it stable he had elastic bands from the satnav to something on his dash (it wasnt a beemer and i wasnt paying massive attention to it). But it meant his satnav was where he wanted it in the middle of the screen with no sucker mounts involved. I had never considered the mirror as a mount (still dont in fact as I am happy with my setup), but it did open up possibilities for those looking for a suitable location. The dangly power wire would be my only iffitation in doing it that way though unless you rely on the internal battery until the wire is needed.
    2002 325 Compact Sport ti M-Tec---- A little thanks goes a long way

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    justin328iS's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i individual vert
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    convertible
    Thanks
    i bought a mount from halfords for my tom tom that clips into the airvent. works perfectly and is adjustable for angle etc also comes with adaptors for other brands of sat nav
    Last edited by justin328iS; 09-02-2011 at 16:01.

328i ///M sport
    m3 rep
    BFUK Nightshift Crew member
    new photos added on my project thread

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast