All Models and years - Using an aftermarket Amp with orignal OEM Radio/Head Unit and I-Pod Intergration

Notices

Thread: All Models and years - Using an aftermarket Amp with orignal OEM Radio/Head Unit and I-Pod Intergration

Reply to Thread
  1. All Models and years - Using an aftermarket Amp with orignal OEM Radio/Head Unit and I-Pod Intergration 
    Platinum BFuk Member
    Car Details
    sam1832's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    convertable Msport
    Thanks
    There have been a few questions on here about how to use an aftermarket amplifier, for using a sub-woofer or to amp speakers, with there exisiting OEM head unit.

Also within this guide i will be installing a "DICE - Silverline Pro" to intergrate my ipod into the standard OEM head unit.

On nearly all aftermarket HU's there are a number of RCA pre-outs for connecting to an amp, on standard HU's there is not this option. In this guide i will be using a 'speaker level to rca adapter' to give me an RCA pre-out from speaker wires

I have an E46 vert with the 'Business CD' head unit and a multichanger in the boot. This guide will work with all models and all HU's, you just may need to adapt for vehicle specific things, like trim removal

Tools you will need:
    • Knife
    • Pliers
    • Screw drivers
    • Rachet
    • 8mm socket
    • Trim removal tool (optional)
    • Electrical tape
    • Crim's and crim tool
    Equipment you will need:
    Before you beggin, you may want to instal your amp or amps. My other guides may help you:This guide will be broken down into three sections:
    1. Connecting RCA adapter
    2. Glove box removal
    3. Installing and seting up the DICE

1. Connecting RCA adapter

This will be the same for any car

Im going to instal two rca adapters, but i will only show one here connecting to the rear speakers

you need to get access to the rear speaker wires, either behind the head unit or in the e46 (and i asume other models) you can find them under the rear seats

So firstly you will need to ID your speaker wires, speaker wires are normally colour coded they will be in pairs, ie, rear right speaker will have a +ive and -ive wire.
    On my car they were twisted in pairs, i removed my head unit to find out what colours were

So now we need to ID what wires are what on our adapter:

On the adapter you have:
    • left speaker +ive
    • left speaker -ive
    • right speaker +ive
    • right speaker -ive
    • negative/ground

They are labeled so easy to do

So obvioulsy you need to match the wires up to the wires you id'd on your car, so left speaker +ive to left speaker +ive

On the E46 I removed the rear bench, and both left and right speaker cables can be round under the carpet just behind the door

This is where we use the scotch connectors, you could always finish them with a bit of electrical tape:

I then put my negative to a suitable ground on the car:

Some of you may have seen my thread about a ground loop, (alternator whine) with the negative connected like this i was getting a horrible loud alternator whine,
    So i run the negative back to the HU and connected using a crimp lug like this,

No more ground loop issues

Now they are all connected up, you have one wire left the remote on. the remote on is a wire that connects to your amp it basically tells the amp to turn on and off with the HU, so the amp dosent drain your battery

This needs to be connected to a wire that goes back with your RCA's to the amp

The you will need to find a switched live (live that is only live when the key is turned) i found mine behind the head unit

So once they are all connected up you can plug your RCA's in:

As i was installing two of these, to run two amps i then installed the next one on the wireing for the front speakers
    Turn the HU on and test

2.glove box removal (for an e46 but im sure you can work it out for other models)

To remove the glove box there are 6 phlips screws that need to be removed:

the glove box pulls up and out, put it on the floor.

3. Dice Instal

The Dice kit alows you to connect you ipod to your HU view the display of your ipod and control it through the HU and steering wheel controls. You need to habe a multi changer or the multi changer loom in place for this to work

In the box:

First off you need to decide where you want your ipod to go, you can put it in the main glove box, drivers glove box, center arm rest or anywhere else you can think of

The first part of the install will take place in the boot, you need to remove some of the carpet to get to where the multichanger wireing is
    Remove the plastic tray, remove both expaning rivits:

you may find it easier if you remove the plastic tray:

Then remove these two expaning rivets:

Remove the boot light, the grey plastic clip releases it:

Now if you leaver the carpet at the edges you should be able to pull it foward out of the way, so you can get behind it at the cd changer:

The cd changer is bolted down, by these 4 8mm bolts, remove the bolts:

Dont forget the 5th bolt up here:

Now the cd changer is out, this is where the wires connect, unplug it:

Now you have two choices, put the cd changer back or leave it out, if you leave it out an amp would fit nicely there.

I put mine back.

Plug your 'DICE' lead into the the cd changer loom:

I checked that my dice works by quickly plugging it in here.

i ran the cable so it runs into the spare wheel well under the plastic

Now the dice instaltion instructions say that you need to remove the battery for proper instal, but im just going to pull the fuses for the radio, 7 and 21 (in the e46) but you can disconnect the bat if you wish

Next thing is you need to run the interface cable from the cd changer wireing in the boot to behind the dash (you could run it with your RCA'sif your running them to the front)
    I have tried to avoid running this next to battery cables, in the E46 the battery cables are on the drivers side, so im going down the passenger side

Next you need to run your ipod interface cable to where you ipod is going to live, mines going in the driverside glove box, which is removed, by undoing these two screws:

I drilled a hole in the back at the top, and run my cable through it:

Ive now moved my ipod and i have it here now: 2004 E46 - My home made ipod soloution

Next i thread the cable above the HU and below the vents to the otherside of the dash,

So now its time to connect all your cables up,

In the glove box, connect your 'DICE' cd changer lead then the ipod interface lead into the 'DICE' box:

The 'Dice' box and any extra cable can be hidden here behind the glove box:

Now pop your fuses back in for the radio, or reconnect the battery, and test out your 'DICE'
    If it all works as it should screw the HU into place put the glove box and trim back as it was and in the boot Put all the carpet back job done.

If anybody is intrested i will do a quick thread with a few pics of the dice in action,

As promised: http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...42/#post652345

Thanks for looking, I hope this helps somebody. Dont forget if you find this useful dont forget to 'Thank'

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sam1832 For This Useful Post:

Onedesi (27-12-2011),solpap (03-03-2011),steve23002 (03-03-2011),superhitsBMW (30-03-2011),ThepiT (01-09-2011),xXNealXx (03-03-2011)

3. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,115 Times in 5,338 Posts
    Nice Sam...send me a PM reminder and I will update the links for you

5. The Following User Says Thank You to xXNealXx For This Useful Post:

sam1832 (03-03-2011)

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    xXxStKxXx's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    man
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Thanked 6,073 Times in 4,855 Posts
    Nice guide For those with an OEM Becker or Blaupunkt HU you can use one of these http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_t...All-Categories They plug straight into the back of the HU so no need to splice into the speaker wires

7. The Following User Says Thank You to xXxStKxXx For This Useful Post:

sam1832 (03-03-2011)

8. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    solpap's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 318Ci Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible
    Thanks
    Thanks Sam! Excellent write up!

I just received the Dice Mediabridge today and plugged it in (did not do the proper install yet).

Do you get id3 tags on the HU? I am happy to say I do!

Cheers and thanks again,
    Sol

10. The Following User Says Thank You to solpap For This Useful Post:

sam1832 (04-03-2011)

Platinum BFuk Member
    Car Details
    sam1832's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    convertable Msport
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by solpap View Post
    Thanks Sam! Excellent write up!

I just received the Dice Mediabridge today and plugged it in (did not do the proper install yet).

Do you get id3 tags on the HU? I am happy to say I do!

Cheers and thanks again,
    Sol
    Yes i do,

you can search through playlist or album or artist then slect what track from withing there straight from the HU

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    A1an's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Cracking!

Ive been looking to do this for a while now.

BMW Master
    Car Details
    Onedesi's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible

Thanks
    quick note to sat thanks v much - I did the DICE install in 5 minutes (left the ipod in the boot and no CD changer )- wouldn't have done it without this thread

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    R3uls's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330ci sport facelift
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible

Thanks
    Hi pal you have helped me loads with your photos!!! I'm looking at putting 6x9s in my boot and fireing them through the ski hatch as I'm not a fan of subs. Any ideas? Thanks Paul

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    MrBenjaMinWoo's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320TD se
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    Compact fully loaded

Thanks
    Thanks for the guide.

Can i just ask, i have the Satnav HU in my 2002 compact and im looking at fitting a sub in the boot. Will i still have to pick up the rear speakers for the HU outputs or do you know if it has its own sub outputs?
    also could i pick up a amp on signal from the CD changer in the boot?