What would you do if you had a spare £350 for your car?

Notices

Thread: What would you do if you had a spare £350 for your car?

Reply to Thread
  1. What would you do if you had a spare £350 for your car? 
    BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Bonse's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    730D M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto/Semi-Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    I found this when looking around the internet at work - what gains would this give? Would you do all this over a remap or does it make it sound like a chavmobile? lol

What would you do?

Cheers lads.(and lasses)

Point about stressing components during the twilight of car's life is good.

This is what I've done on my 100,00 miler 184bhp 330D Touring with 5 speed steptronic:

(1) K&N air filter

(2) Exhaust Gas Recycling valve bypassed with a unit which took about half an hour to fit.
    (Available on ebay - see this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-EGR-Diesel-Bypass-Valve-... Old standard one was very mucky but retained for spare. Have a look at this link: http://www.bmwland.co.uk/talker/viewtopic.php?t=83...

(3) Sprintbooster bought secondhand (see review: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=... am really very pleased with this because it cuts throttle lag. I found it tricky to get the clip on my car to release the throttle pedal. On a warm day the plastic is more flexible.

(4) Tuning Box CR51 bought secondhand (see: http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?f=72&...

Been through France & Italy twice. Up through the Alps it was a hoot. The car is used in London for shopping on regular basis. Fuel consumption 35mpg, although computer can show 45-50 ish. Performance is just a joy. Especially good is the reduction in throttle lag from the Sprintbooster

(a)Total cost around £300, although I can't actually rember what I gave for each bit;
    (b)problems: zero;
    (c) total fitting time: say, hour or two by self, with no training or engineering background.
    (d) increased enjoyment - absolutely priceless. Subjective assessment of acceleration is that it feels a bit like takeoff at Gatwick. It makes my wife yelp, my daughter shriek and my son join me in Jeremy Clarkson impressions.

I find PistonHeads and BMWLand especially helpful. I regard my budget mods as a good investment. It is FAR, far cheaper than getting the car remapped. I would guess that a good re-map would be superior, but would be a miserable 2nd place in terms of cost on an old car. Better off getting the next car up the range.
    Personally, I'd love a 335D.

2006 E65 730d Sport - 2011 E93 325d Sport Convertible

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Legendary BFuk Member +1
    Car Details
    gap141070's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    Thanks
    hey m8..not sure.what gains its given you....the k&n in my experiance never made a difference..lst power in fact(that was in a pug gti6 tho)the sprint booster doesn actually giv more bhp tho makes the car more responsive which feels much better,,the exhaust recycling valve i hav no idea about,
    but for £300 and leaving you with a smile on your face is all that matters ma friend!after all its sposed too be the ultimate driving machine...and all about the driver enjoyment!!so nice1..
    pretty sure a re-map on diesels are not the way too go,,think a chip is better,,but costly..
    so youve probably made the rite choice!

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Bonse's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    730D M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto/Semi-Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    i havent bought this - i'm just looking into whats possible - apparently i'd gain about 30-40hp and 40lb toraque from a remap, plus mike would do it for 250-280 for meh

2006 E65 730d Sport - 2011 E93 325d Sport Convertible

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    SlowTech's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,799 Times in 3,107 Posts
    Buy a new GM5 unit

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    eggioner's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    316i compact
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    ?

Thanks
    smooth sides.the steelie looking alloys from bmw, slam it,

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Boldeagle69's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330d Sports M-Tec
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    6 speed Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Hi everyone. Can anyone say were I can Buy/Get an EGR Bypass Valve with a ‘BOOST PRESSURE’ take OFF + Pipe to Gauge for my e46 330d Sports M-Tec 2005. (Engine 204bhp) The pipe is different from thee 184bhp Engine as the 204bhp is LONGER & has a Bend + SPECIAL CLIP to Rubber Hose!
    Also how do I get round the Censer as I've seen Blogs on this Forum saying my Modal causes Error Messages & can put the car into 'Limp Home Mode'…
    The Blogs Contradicted themselves, so TRYING to DE-CIPHER WHAT’S WHAT is CRAZY… I've seen 'ALLARD'S' Unit & are twice as much as the 184bhp Modals on Ebay & are too GOOD looking to stick an Engine cover over it.
    One person said he disconnected the wiring to the EGR with no Logged errors ‘CONFUSED’ Coz I am!!! (Thought you could ONLY see these LOGS with a Diagnostic OLD ll)
    Anyone ‘GROUND OUT’ the O/E EGR with GOOD AFFECT/SUCCESS
    Sorely there MUST be a way of FOOLING the ECU or whatever controls the error LOGGING process... Cheers for any HELP. Stephen.