BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

Weighted shift knobs not always best

Tags
weighted
3K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  BMW IOW 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Thats a good find mate. :) I dont drive with my hand resting on it. But was thinking off getting a new aftermarket one. Im sure official BM stuff would be weighted the same for this reason wouldnt they? :confused

#6 ·
anyone know how much the weighted clubsport gearknobs weigh?? surely BMW wouldn't have fitted a gearknob to a car as standard that will cause premature gearbox wear??

#8 ·
The BMW gear knob will be within tolerence...:thumbsup

What a load of toss.

Mind you, I've just changed my Walnut wood trim knob to some MDF - saved a few grammes there. :lol
Read the reasoning behind it before criticising. It is a well know fact that driving with your hand resting on the gear selector causes synchromesh wear.

The link is more about the cheap shit ebay stuff rather than the genuine stuff.

#14 ·
there's always one smart ass :sarcastic

FWIW I didn't write the article - I just thought it'd be worth sharing as it's something I hadn't thought about before.. read it/don't read it - makes no odds to me.. :talktothehand:duh

#17 ·
Arm rest made it worse for me in the e36 lol. I would never rest on the gear knob..... Then i fitted the arm rest. But to be honest, i had a short shifter and weighted knob too so i was really speeding up my wear. Oh well. It's on 210k which can't be bad lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.