Tuning box for e92 320d (184bhp)

Notices
 

Thread: Tuning box for e92 320d (184bhp)

Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. Tuning box for e92 320d (184bhp) 
    #1
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    mooj9's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    2012
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hello
    Just ordered a 320d (184hp) and I was wondering if anyone has had one of these remapped or a tuning box fitted? If so, which one and did it improve the performance?
    In general, are these tuning boxes (tunit, spider etc) any good and do they actually work?!
     
     

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements
     

  3.  
    #2
    BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    hontoir's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    2003
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    hontoir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Wales/Southampton
    Posts
    503
    Thanks
    151
    Thanked 152 Times in 129 Posts
    I think it is commonly recommended to get a remap rather than a tuning box. Don't forget that your insurance company should be advised.
    2003 E46 320Ci Coupe
     
     

  4.  
    #3
    Authorised Bimmerforums UK Vendor
    Car Details
    bwchiptune's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    x5
    Year of Manufacture:
    2002
    Transmission Type:
    auto
    Car Body Type:
    estate
    bwchiptune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hayes west london UB3 1BB
    Posts
    2,291
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 239 Times in 209 Posts
    On a diesel you get power from adding fuel
    Using a box will trick the Ecu, it will raise the fuel pressure so more fuel will flow through the injectors for a given time,let's say you add more fuel till it starts to smoke and you can only get an extra 25-30 bhp you will then need to add more air to reduce the smoke which you can not do and the other thing is you can't control the torque limiter as the Ecu does not know it is injecting more fuel
    so you could be over riding the cars safety limiters as well as running higher fuel pressures on the pump and injectors which the Ecu can not measure

    When you remap a car you have a lot more maps that can be adjusted safely so you can add fuel by injecting for a longer time then add a slight more bit of air to reduce any smoke and gain more power say 45bhp
    You can also change the drivers wish,torque loads,gear box changes in the maps on this ecu and so on which still keep you within the safety limits to start with

    PERFORMANCE ECU TUNING(ALL CARS)FOR Bimmerforums MEMBERS
    CHIPPING AND REMAPPING
    Dyno Dynamics Rolling Road
    WORKSHOP REPAIRS(BMW,AUDI,VW,VAG,MERCS)
    TURBO,SUPERCHARGER TUNING
    ENGINE TRANSPLANT ECU CONVERSIONS
    CODING & PROGRAMMING,
    ECU REPAIRS & DPF,CAT REMOVAL
    REMAPPING TOOLS AND TUNED FILES AVAILABLE
    M5 F10 M6 F12/13 REMAPS £699
    WE HAVE NOW MOVED TO HAYES UB3 1BB
    www.bwchiptune.co.uk
    www.bwautorepairs.co.uk
    www.tuningtools.co.uk
    +44(0)7831 10 30 30
    +44(0)208 561 18 18
     
     

  5.  
    #4
    Authorised Bimmerforums UK Vendor
    Car Details
    motechmike's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e92 M3
    Year of Manufacture:
    2012
    Transmission Type:
    DTC
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    motechmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northampton
    Posts
    1,227
    Thanks
    378
    Thanked 209 Times in 182 Posts
    As above the tuning box's are crude way of getting power.. There a fixed % were are re-map can be tallied to suit car mileage etc..
    Thanks Mike

    01604 810000
    07842 122467


    ECU mapping to a standard, not a price!

    www.motechperformance.co.uk
    info@motechperformance.co.uk

    facebook/motechperformance

    Performance Software: EcoMap | CityMap | ActiveMap | X-Maps & X-Maps +
    Tuning: Eibach | Vmaxx | Remus | Remus Powerizer | Jetex | Hawke | PiperCross | Forge | Carbon Speed
     
     

  6.  
    #5
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    mooj9's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    2012
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Would a remap not invalidate the BMW warranty?
    I was thinking to go for the box purely because it can be removed before a service etc..
     
     

  7.  
    #6
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    mooj9's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d
    Year of Manufacture:
    2012
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bwchiptune View Post
    On a diesel you get power from adding fuel
    Using a box will trick the Ecu, it will raise the fuel pressure so more fuel will flow through the injectors for a given time,let's say you add more fuel till it starts to smoke and you can only get an extra 25-30 bhp you will then need to add more air to reduce the smoke which you can not do and the other thing is you can't control the torque limiter as the Ecu does not know it is injecting more fuel
    so you could be over riding the cars safety limiters as well as running higher fuel pressures on the pump and injectors which the Ecu can not measure

    When you remap a car you have a lot more maps that can be adjusted safely so you can add fuel by injecting for a longer time then add a slight more bit of air to reduce any smoke and gain more power say 45bhp
    You can also change the drivers wish,torque loads,gear box changes in the maps on this ecu and so on which still keep you within the safety limits to start with
    As I can see you must have a lot of experience with tuning - what would you recommend in terms of getting the most performance out of the BMW (184hp) but in a safe manner? (also taking into consideration the BMW warranty)
     
     

  8.  
    #7
    Authorised Bimmerforums UK Vendor
    Car Details
    bwchiptune's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    x5
    Year of Manufacture:
    2002
    Transmission Type:
    auto
    Car Body Type:
    estate
    bwchiptune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hayes west london UB3 1BB
    Posts
    2,291
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 239 Times in 209 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mooj9 View Post
    As I can see you must have a lot of experience with tuning - what would you recommend in terms of getting the most performance out of the BMW (184hp) but in a safe manner? (also taking into consideration the BMW warranty)
    The 184bhp x20d engines we have tuned to 226bhp
    With these new type ecu's the dealers can tell the software inside has been changed

    PERFORMANCE ECU TUNING(ALL CARS)FOR Bimmerforums MEMBERS
    CHIPPING AND REMAPPING
    Dyno Dynamics Rolling Road
    WORKSHOP REPAIRS(BMW,AUDI,VW,VAG,MERCS)
    TURBO,SUPERCHARGER TUNING
    ENGINE TRANSPLANT ECU CONVERSIONS
    CODING & PROGRAMMING,
    ECU REPAIRS & DPF,CAT REMOVAL
    REMAPPING TOOLS AND TUNED FILES AVAILABLE
    M5 F10 M6 F12/13 REMAPS £699
    WE HAVE NOW MOVED TO HAYES UB3 1BB
    www.bwchiptune.co.uk
    www.bwautorepairs.co.uk
    www.tuningtools.co.uk
    +44(0)7831 10 30 30
    +44(0)208 561 18 18
     
     

  9.  
    #8
    Authorised Bimmerforums UK Vendor
    Car Details
    bwchiptune's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    x5
    Year of Manufacture:
    2002
    Transmission Type:
    auto
    Car Body Type:
    estate
    bwchiptune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hayes west london UB3 1BB
    Posts
    2,291
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 239 Times in 209 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mooj9 View Post
    Would a remap not invalidate the BMW warranty?
    I was thinking to go for the box purely because it can be removed before a service etc..
    When you connect a box and disconnect it it does leave traces

    PERFORMANCE ECU TUNING(ALL CARS)FOR Bimmerforums MEMBERS
    CHIPPING AND REMAPPING
    Dyno Dynamics Rolling Road
    WORKSHOP REPAIRS(BMW,AUDI,VW,VAG,MERCS)
    TURBO,SUPERCHARGER TUNING
    ENGINE TRANSPLANT ECU CONVERSIONS
    CODING & PROGRAMMING,
    ECU REPAIRS & DPF,CAT REMOVAL
    REMAPPING TOOLS AND TUNED FILES AVAILABLE
    M5 F10 M6 F12/13 REMAPS £699
    WE HAVE NOW MOVED TO HAYES UB3 1BB
    www.bwchiptune.co.uk
    www.bwautorepairs.co.uk
    www.tuningtools.co.uk
    +44(0)7831 10 30 30
    +44(0)208 561 18 18
     
     

Tags for this Thread

View Tag Cloud

Posting Permissions
  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts