Year of Manufacture:
    2005 & 1999
    Transmission Type:
    All Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Hatch & Compact
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FutabaUK View Post
    Yeah he said I can try it when hes off work in a couple of weeks, until then im going to save my pennies.

I have read a few threads and it seems to be 50/50 whether they are of any use or not. Gonna keep fishing for more info.
    It not 50/50 at all they simply DONT work!!!!
    Rich

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    FutabaUK's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325 SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Eddie do you have proof that they do not? I mean not to be rude but the point of this thread was to get factual information backed up with some physics/logic or better still first hand experience. Not simply a troll statement which offers nothing to the topic.

I am basing my assumptions on what I have saw on a variety of forums from other users, I understand these units are not all the same and some will operate differently/product different results however the feedback I have saw seems to be split. If you could link me to some information that can provide me with a definitive answer I would greatly appreciate it.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    xXxStKxXx's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    man
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Thanked 6,072 Times in 4,854 Posts
    http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...grades-t61713/

then why would people spend thousands on proper superchargers and turbo chargers when they can buy this cheap bit of kit.....

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    FutabaUK's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325 SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    I realise it isnt gonna be giving me a super power increase like a proper charger but I understand the theory and I see no reason as to why an increase in power would not be achieved providing the unit can provide sufficient air flow?

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    xXxStKxXx's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    man
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    read the link I posted.Still its your money I doubt anybody else here is going to waste theirs......

Dr of BMW
    Car Details
    eddiee36's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    116i SE & 318ti
    Year of Manufacture:
    2005 & 1999
    Transmission Type:
    All Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Hatch & Compact
    Thanks
    I have called a close friend who used to set up my old rally car and in the last 6 months he has had 7 differect cars come in with these fitted and none of them had any power gains at all.
    Rich

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Ronnie's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    See above
    Year of Manufacture:
    Never too old, never too new
    Transmission Type:
    Always manual
    Car Body Type:
    Usually 5 doors
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,051 Times in 5,322 Posts
    A problem with this "Tornado" is both a turbo and supercharger are "connected" to the engine, so when you press the accelerator down on a turbo car it opens the throttle body flap up and the engine receives more air, due to the airflow meter sensing the increased speed of the air travelling past the hotwire it sends a signal to the DME(ECU) which then increases fuelling at the injectors, and so when the revs increase the spent gases travel out of the exhaust and spin the turbo up progressively quicker giving you more boost and a quicker charge of air travelling past the MAF, and so on until maximum safe boost is achieved and so the wastegate releases the pressure(or in the case of a VVT the flaps flatten out), while all of this is going on the DME is controlling the fuelling and the ignition timing e.t.c (it has been mapped to measure and understand certain signals from the engine sensors). So without now explaining a superchargers operation roughly also, the point I am making is this "Tornado" isn't "connected" to the engine, there is nothing to tell it when to spin up fast or slow down, so it will always be pointlessly blowing air past the MAF at a rate that isn't needed, which the MAF will then tell the DME to increase the fuelling pointlessly at idle or low revs, literally ruining your MPG and smooth driving operation of your engine and the countless hours that the boffins at BMW spent calibrating/programming all of the parameters from the engine sensors to work with the DME.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    xXxStKxXx's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    man
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    A problem with this "Tornado" is both a turbo and supercharger are "connected" to the engine, so when you press the accelerator down on a turbo car it opens the throttle body flap up and the engine receives more air, due to the airflow meter sensing the increased speed of the air travelling past the hotwire it sends a signal to the DME(ECU) which then increases fuelling at the injectors, and so when the revs increase the spent gases travel out of the exhaust and spin the turbo up progressively quicker giving you more boost and a quicker charge of air travelling past the MAF, and so on until maximum safe boost is achieved and so the wastegate releases the pressure(or in the case of a VVT the flaps flatten out), while all of this is going on the DME is controlling the fuelling and the ignition timing e.t.c (it has been mapped to measure and understand certain signals from the engine sensors). So without now explaining a superchargers operation roughly also, the point I am making is this "Tornado" isn't "connected" to the engine, there is nothing to tell it when to spin up fast or slow down, so it will always be pointlessly blowing air past the MAF at a rate that isn't needed, which the MAF will then tell the DME to increase the fuelling pointlessly at idle or low revs, literally ruining your MPG and smooth driving operation of your engine and the countless hours that the boffins at BMW spent calibrating/programming all of the parameters from the engine sensors to work with the DME.
    So what you saying is that it won't work then............

10. The Following User Says Thank You to xXxStKxXx For This Useful Post:

Ronnie (07-01-2011)

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    FutabaUK's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325 SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Thanks for spending the time to explain Ronnie, I see your point now. However I must add that the unit only comes on when the throttle pedal is to the floor as my mate had to fit a switch to the throttle armature of the car. I suppose this unit is flawed in many senses now that you have explained a bit more into how turbos actually operate.

Like I said earlier, as suggested by someone, im gonna nick it off his car when he's off work for a few days and see if I can get it fitted into mine. If his work is empty then he'll probs let me dyno it before/after too. I will be sure to post the results here regardless of the outcome!

Thanks for your help Ronnie

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Ronnie's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    See above
    Year of Manufacture:
    Never too old, never too new
    Transmission Type:
    Always manual
    Car Body Type:
    Usually 5 doors
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,051 Times in 5,322 Posts
    The turbine in a turbo can spin up to 150,000 RPM, so that would be pretty much at full engine revs, there is no way that the motor on that spins up anywhere near that quick, so it isn't going to give you enough CFM to fulfil the needs of your engine.

A 2500cc engine needs around 212CFM and around 6000 litres at full revs, you do the maths.

Case closed. It won't work.

(Also I've been very favourable with the figures, they actually work out higher.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12