Model of Car:
    135i M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Has anyone fitted the SSTT to a 135i and does it add a risk to the turbo's or anything else as I have heard of some turbos being broken with tunes on this engine ?

I have also heard that the SSTT isn't an easy fit on the 135i as the cable is at the bottom and the splash sheild needs removing, is this correct ?

Also, how exactly does this tune the engine, if it tricks the car into running rich by making the temp sensor read cold, then it is not good and I would not be interested in this type of mod as the engine will be damaged.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmerforums Central
    Car Details
    Boostist's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 320i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Si-135i View Post
    Has anyone fitted the SSTT to a 135i and does it add a risk to the turbo's or anything else as I have heard of some turbos being broken with tunes on this engine ?

I have also heard that the SSTT isn't an easy fit on the 135i as the cable is at the bottom and the splash sheild needs removing, is this correct ?

Also, how exactly does this tune the engine, if it tricks the car into running rich by making the temp sensor read cold, then it is not good and I would not be interested in this type of mod as the engine will be damaged.

Heres a quote from someone who installed an SST lately
    Ok guys, I installed the SSTT last night, and I've put about 50 or 60 miles on the car with it on. I'm not feeling any lag at all that wasn't there before.

In first gear the tires have now become a limitation, but otherwise I'm pretty happy with the results. One thing I've noticed is that you have a be a little more carefull when applying power coming out of a turn. The throttle response is a little touchy in certain situations compared to stock. I'm sure after a few days of driving it I'll adapt to it and won't notice it as much.

Something else I've noticed is that now that I'm getting a lot of wheel spin in 1st gear, the car is significantly faster with the traction control/DST completely off, and the eDiff doing it's job. I noticed the touchy throttle response the first time after doing a couple of 1/4 mile runs and nearly got myself into trouble exiting a corner. I turned the nannys back on to give myself a little more time to get used to it.

I'll report back after a few more days with it, but so far I'm pleased with the results. I'm not sure what else you could do to get a gain like this for less money and effort. My neighbor was working on his Mustang while I was installing it and he was annoyed when I told him how much power it was good for. That's just a little less than what he got with a set of decent heads.

Basically all an SSTT does is trick the car into thinking that it is at high altitudes. The ECU still controls all functions the way BMW intended and continues to regulate everything within safe levels.

Technically the ECu increases the boost slightly and adjusts engine timing to suit. SSTT intercepts the TMAP signal and sends a signal back that gives the impression of the car running at a higher altitude and cooler temps. These changes vary based on actual temps and altitude. The net result is the ECU runs at higher boosts (varies from condition to condition). The actual result is a mimic of the stock hp/tq curves just at higher amounts given an individuals car and conditions. This is accomplished with the ECU staying within it's factory pre-set max/min boost for given TMAP conditions, thus it's never outside the factory specs and won't throw codes or be detected by present BMW service checks.

Minus is that it will not give you max boost or engine controls like the other tunes out there. There is also limited effects in very high temps because the ECU will pull timing from a detonation stand point.

Reality, if you want a simple to install and remove stealth tune that gives very good increases in power the SSTT is probably the best choice. If you want max power and are going to change down pipes and exhaust, I would choose one of the tunes that gives more control of all aspects of the cars ECU. But you have an increased risk of being caught by BMW and more hassles in removing the modifications.

Apparently, the main time that this modification is felt is under hard or WOT (wide open throttle) driving...otherwise I have heard people report it is feels like stock.

Its an easy fit for anyone even slightly capable with a spanner

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Si-135i's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    135i M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by boostist View Post
    Heres a quote from someone who installed an SST lately

Basically all an SSTT does is trick the car into thinking that it is at high altitudes. The ECU still controls all functions the way BMW intended and continues to regulate everything within safe levels.

Technically the ECu increases the boost slightly and adjusts engine timing to suit. SSTT intercepts the TMAP signal and sends a signal back that gives the impression of the car running at a higher altitude and cooler temps. These changes vary based on actual temps and altitude. The net result is the ECU runs at higher boosts (varies from condition to condition). The actual result is a mimic of the stock hp/tq curves just at higher amounts given an individuals car and conditions. This is accomplished with the ECU staying within it's factory pre-set max/min boost for given TMAP conditions, thus it's never outside the factory specs and won't throw codes or be detected by present BMW service checks.

Minus is that it will not give you max boost or engine controls like the other tunes out there. There is also limited effects in very high temps because the ECU will pull timing from a detonation stand point.

Reality, if you want a simple to install and remove stealth tune that gives very good increases in power the SSTT is probably the best choice. If you want max power and are going to change down pipes and exhaust, I would choose one of the tunes that gives more control of all aspects of the cars ECU. But you have an increased risk of being caught by BMW and more hassles in removing the modifications.

Apparently, the main time that this modification is felt is under hard or WOT (wide open throttle) driving...otherwise I have heard people report it is feels like stock.

Its an easy fit for anyone even slightly capable with a spanner
    Thanks for the consise information. Is this still fitted in seconds on the 135i and the cable routing above the engine ?

I was also thinking of a drop in replacement air filter, but I am worried aout using an oiled on because of the MAF sensor and don't want to sacrifice filtering quality. any ideas ?

I am, as you stated, looking for easy and quick to change back mods as I will remove it all prior to service or warranty work.

Si

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmerforums Central
    Car Details
    Boostist's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 320i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,481 Posts
    Not 100% on the 135 fitting but I will look into it.
    it will not be a big job as its a bolt on part...it maybe awkward, yes, but difficult, doubtful.

RE the filter, in all honesty, there have been a few comparison tests done and the BMW OEM filter has come out in top place, equal to the K and N but with better filtering allegedly. (it was in performance BMW mag a while ago)

I would not even bother changing out the stock filter....BMW are at the top of their game...do you think that a small company like pipercross or some unknown company has the R and D to compete with BMW? ...nuff said!

If you want lots more performance, you could look into the Dinan stage 2 tuning package, but im not sure if they have any overseas agents...

if you want to keep the car as stock as possible for warranty etc, I would just accept that big tuning is not on the cards..

You could lookinto a stealth nitrous kit from wizards of NOS I suppose though....
    Last edited by Boostist; 04-08-2008 at 18:40.

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Si-135i's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    135i M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by boostist View Post
    Not 100% on the 135 fitting but I will look into it.
    it will not be a big job as its a bolt on part...it maybe awkward, yes, but difficult, doubtful.

RE the filter, in all honesty, there have been a few comparison tests done and the BMW OEM filter has come out in top place, equal to the K and N but with better filtering allegedly. (it was in performance BMW mag a while ago)

I would not even bother changing out the stock filter....BMW are at the top of their game...do you think that a small company like pipercross or some unknown company has the R and D to compete with BMW? ...nuff said!

If you want lots more performance, you could look into the Dinan stage 2 tuning package, but im not sure if they have any overseas agents...

if you want to keep the car as stock as possible for warranty etc, I would just accept that big tuning is not on the cards..

You could lookinto a stealth nitrous kit from wizards of NOS I suppose though....
    To be honest, big tuning is not my thing, I respect it and am ipressed with what people do, but for myself I would be very hapy with 350BHP and a good gain on torque. I was looking into the BMW sports exhaust and Uprated Induction system on the BMW website yesterday. A mild tweak at both ends would be very mild, but I would think noticable, but obviously not the same as th SSTT which would be as much as I would be happy to go.