Simota Carbon Air box-M3 evo- any good? - Page 2

Notices

Thread: Simota Carbon Air box-M3 evo- any good?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Administrator
    Car Details
    Ian S's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3 Evo, E60 530D, 911 C4S, Yaris T Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Loon
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikim View Post
    Thanks for all your comments
    I have heard similar stories regarding other intake systems and wondered if the simota was any different. I had heard that although there are little or no performance gains, they do sound really nice? Is it worth it just for that gain?

As mentioned I have a pipercross panel in there at the moment. Thought the air might flow a little better through that, but I can't say there are any differences, maybe a touch quicker pickup?

Agreed the Vanos needs sorting first. I think I am going to order one from DrVanos tomorrow.
    I was unfortunate in that I bought the car with a dodgy (or noisy at least) vanos.
    When I test drove the car it was quiet as a mouse, and this was something I was looking for at that stage. Some point between the test drive and collection it turned into a box of marbles!! That's the trouble with priv buying!!
    The car doesn't seem to have lost much power though, so its more about making it a bit quieter.

The suspension/bushes are top of my list for mods re performance upgrades. Compared to our other cars the M3 feels very unstable and uninspiring when it comes to the corners, but then it is 15-20 year old technology so I don't expect any more
    Unfortunately that can happen with private buying. My brother and I have both bought cars this year and have similar stories.We compression tested and diag'd the cars before buying as well! I got quite a bit off the asking price of my evo due to problems I noticed but still got a few surprises!

Anway, the E36 M3 should't be unstable and uninspiring. Car and driver voted it the best handling car regardless of price when it first came out. As you said they are getting on a bit so you have to budget for a complete suspension overhaul. I'd be much more tempted to fit a set of coil-overs and bushes all round before I thought about the engine. What were you're plans suspension wise?

I know it feels like we are spending a lot on these cars, and it is a lot of money. However, for the performance they offer I think they are a bit of a bargain.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    mikim's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3 V8
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    I'm thinking of the Powerflex complete replacement bushes & possibly eibach coilover kit. I believe that the H&R stuff is good too? AR bars etc?
    I really don't want to lower the car too much as I'm a fan of the B-road, and they tend to be very unforgiving. Plus Newbury has a speed bump fetish
    I'm having a bit of trouble working out the best top mount replacements.

Maybe a front & strut brace too to firm it all up?

Where is a good place to get the compression and diag done?

Administrator
    Car Details
    Ian S's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3 Evo, E60 530D, 911 C4S, Yaris T Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Loon
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,711 Posts
    The coilovers should be height adjustable. KW variants are meant to be the coilover of choice but a bit too expensive for me! I'd probably look at the Eibachs as my preference, and then at the H&R's.

I'll have a hunt around for for details of the lower chasis x brace you can buy from BMW.

Ian

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ian S For This Useful Post:

mikim (09-06-2009)

Platinum BFuk Member
    Car Details
    mikaveli's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    535i Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
    The coilovers should be height adjustable. KW variants are meant to be the coilover of choice but a bit too expensive for me! I'd probably look at the Eibachs as my preference, and then at the H&R's.

I'll have a hunt around for for details of the lower chasis x brace you can buy from BMW.

Ian
    Ian's wise to recommend the lower cross brace - much better than the upper brace, which is more for show than go.

CA automotive do one: (i'm not sure how it compares cost wise to the BMW one)
    http://www.ca-automotive.co.uk/produ...tcF9pZD04.html

It's supposed to fit 328's and M3's with no mods required.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mikaveli For This Useful Post:

mikim (09-06-2009)

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    mikim's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3 V8
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    That sounds like a good idea re the struts.
    I have to say that living with the car and getting used to the style of handling I am getting used to it again.
    I have only used new cars for the past 5-10 years now and I think that I have just been spoilt. Come to think of it the handling isn't really that bad (I'll eat my words from an earlier post ), although I don't think I'd feel safe driving on the limit up against something relatively good.

I'm booking the car in for a Powerflex bush upgrade today hopefully. I think I'll leave the springs, shocks & ARBs for another day.

BACK ON TOPIC:

I purchased a Simota filter from a colleague at work.. fitted it last night.

All I can say is if you don't have one already (or another cold air induction kit), GET ONE!!

I can't say if there is really any performance gain or not, maybe a touch more torque and free rev??? ... But it is simply worth it for the noise, it sounds lovely. For me that is enough of a gain in itself.
    I did some rather "enthusiastic" driving last night and stopped to check temps. Upon opening the bonnet, the whole filter area was cold to touch and only the MAF and air box were warmish which would be expected with the OEM filter system. I left the original cold air feed on so I suppose that that probably helps quite allot.

Very happy with it so far

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12