Simota Carbon Air box-M3 evo- any good?

Notices

Thread: Simota Carbon Air box-M3 evo- any good?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Simota Carbon Air box-M3 evo- any good? 
    BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    mikim's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3 V8
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Hi there,

I am looking at a new intake for the M3 evo (E36).

Is the Simota (Gruppe M rep) any good (See HERE), or would I be better off with a Pipercross panel filer... or even the stock panel?

Cheers,
    Mik

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    mikim's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3 V8
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    In addition, would I need to get the car remaped to make the most of a Simota air box?

Cheers,M

Administrator
    Car Details
    Ian S's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3 Evo, E60 530D, 911 C4S, Yaris T Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Loon
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,711 Posts
    The Simota intakes are meant to be very good. Never really found my evo down on power (or noise) so putting the insurance up by fitting an intake never appealed to me! A panel filter is not going to give you much. To be fair for the sort of gains they are quoting, it's not going to be noticeable on a 300bhp car!

I'd be more inclined to go down the remap route but in answer to your question the stock map should be fine with the simota intake.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ian S For This Useful Post:

mikim (04-06-2009)

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    mikim's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3 V8
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
    The Simota intakes are meant to be very good. Never really found my evo down on power (or noise) so putting the insurance up by fitting an intake never appealed to me! A panel filter is not going to give you much. To be fair for the sort of gains they are quoting, it's not going to be noticeable on a 300bhp car!

I'd be more inclined to go down the remap route but in answer to your question the stock map should be fine with the simota intake.
    Thanks for the info. I thought that I'd give the Simota intake a go as they are supposed to sound really good at mid-high revs. There are very few modifications I want to make to the stock car with regards to the engine, as I think it's an adequate power balance for that car in stock form.

My concerns around the Simota were along the lines that the cone filter in the system is not unlike the K&N and uses an oil based filtering technology. In past experience, and some comments I have come across on BMW M3s is that this can mess with the MAF and result in power reductions over time?

Administrator
    Car Details
    Ian S's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Loon
    Thanks
    Yeah, it's a common concern with any induction kit that the oil could damage the MAF sensor.

MAF sensor's are delicate. I guess you could just change it at the same time as preventative maintenance as they don't last for ever anyway.

Alternatively just drive the car and worry when it goes wrong! If you get strange running issues, just disconnect the MAF, if it fixes it it fit a new one. Simples! Sometimes it's really not worth worrying too much about things.

Ian

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    mikim's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3 V8
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
    Sometimes it's really not worth worrying too much about things.
    Yea, true enough. I can't help analysing everything when it comes to cars

Well, when I get the car back.. I'll get stuck in with the various things I want to do.

Legendary BFuk Member +1
    Car Details
    gap141070's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    Thanks
    stick with your panel filter mikim...re-maps probably your best bet...av seen advertised gains of 8-10 bhp on most bmws and 20bhp on m3s with these induction kits...my own experiance was i gained no power..(330ci msport)but nice sound...so sent it back..my re-map was off no significance either...i know the m3 induction kit is a different set up as you actually get the complete system..whereas my carbon box was tucked behind the headlight...very warm area...not good!!!yours still gets its air directed from the front grill area off the car....the guys who dynod my car sed they had seen a few m3s lose significant power from both re-maps nd idnuction kits!!an expensive mistake m8...good luck

Administrator
    Car Details
    Ian S's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Loon
    Thanks
    Wise words. With an M3 I would pay more attention to maintenance. Make sure the Vanos is working and the clearances are fine! You will lose more bhp there, than you will gain with mods!

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    mikim's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3 V8
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanks for all your comments
    I have heard similar stories regarding other intake systems and wondered if the simota was any different. I had heard that although there are little or no performance gains, they do sound really nice? Is it worth it just for that gain?

As mentioned I have a pipercross panel in there at the moment. Thought the air might flow a little better through that, but I can't say there are any differences, maybe a touch quicker pickup?

Agreed the Vanos needs sorting first. I think I am going to order one from DrVanos tomorrow.
    I was unfortunate in that I bought the car with a dodgy (or noisy at least) vanos.
    When I test drove the car it was quiet as a mouse, and this was something I was looking for at that stage. Some point between the test drive and collection it turned into a box of marbles!! That's the trouble with priv buying!!
    The car doesn't seem to have lost much power though, so its more about making it a bit quieter.

The suspension/bushes are top of my list for mods re performance upgrades. Compared to our other cars the M3 feels very unstable and uninspiring when it comes to the corners, but then it is 15-20 year old technology so I don't expect any more

Legendary BFuk Member +1
    Car Details
    gap141070's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    Thanks
    get the mechanics off the car sorted first m8...garunteed youll enjoy it more!!if your happy too pay over 300quid for the simota kit just for the sound(which i admit sounds amazn!)thn fair do"s...but the m3 never lacked in the "sweet sound off power" department anyway...tha simota kit is similar too gruppe m as its fully carbon lookn and would grace any engine bay....but if your not happy with the handling off he car defo deal with that first ma friend..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast