X6
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Chelsea Tractor

Thanks
    Hi there,
    I have a BMW 320d (177) with 104k on the clock. I have been looking at remapping but I am worried about remapping a car with this sort of mileage.
    I suspect the clutch would not last long with more power but to be honest that doesn't really bother me. The thing that really bothers me is the turbo.

Does anybody know how strong the turbo's are on these cars? Anybody remapped a high mileage car before?

Any advice would be great

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Cendrian's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320td SE Compact (Sapphire Black Metal)
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Compact
    Images
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,054 Times in 726 Posts
    Remapping is unlikely to change the boost values that much I reckon, its not like the turbo would suddenly be facing twice the pressure. The turbo should be fine as long as you ensure good regular oil changes and appropriate cooldown, which you should do regardless of remapping anyway etc. After a remap just pay extra attention to regular oil changes etc and it should be fine.

Biggest things to suffer from a remap, particularly with a diesel will be the clutch having to cope with a lot more torque than it was originally designed to cope with. Thats not the end of the world tbh, and only really becomes an issue if you're really planting the foot regularly. If you drive normally, the clutch shouldn't be put under much more stress than it was before the remap.

My car is currently 112,000 miles and I plan on remapping after winter, and I'm not worried about doing so. 104,000 miles to a BMW diesel thats been looked after is nothing, I don't consider that particularly high mileage.

The real key is servicing - regular and more frequent oil changes to keep everything happy, along with sensible use of the power gained when considering how that power may affect stock components.

Am sure some of the remappers around here will address your worries, and they're best qualified to discuss it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cendrian For This Useful Post:

joebmw1991 (04-11-2011)

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    lizzerum's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E92 320d Coupe
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    I would'nt worry too much about mileage as long as the car is serviced regularly. I'm about to have my X3 remapped and she's done 174000 miles. The place that is doing it did my Audi and that had done 116000 when it was mapped. They tested the Turbo and injectors to make sure everything was working okay. They did advise to have the oil changed at least every 6000 miles. The extra power and mpg was brilliant.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lizzerum For This Useful Post:

Cendrian (04-11-2011),joebmw1991 (04-11-2011)

7. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    joebmw1991's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    X6
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Chelsea Tractor

Thanks
    Thank you for that.
    Think I'll remap then in that case, but I will get the turbo and injectors looked before I remap it.

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Cendrian's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Compact
    Images
    Thanks
    As Lizze mentions, aim to change your oil circa every 6000-7000 miles, thats good advice on all diesels tbh, if there is one thing to stick to in order to keep your engine healthy, especially if its remapped, its that.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    joebmw1991's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    X6
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Chelsea Tractor

Thanks
    Well the car has had a good service history and will give it a service every 5000 miles if mapped, I have heard that my car is due for a software update, but tbh I have no idea what that does or how much is costs.

Authorised Bimmerforums UK Vendor
    Car Details
    motechmike's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e92 M3
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    DTC
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joebmw1991 View Post
    Hi there,
    I have a BMW 320d (177) with 104k on the clock. I have been looking at remapping but I am worried about remapping a car with this sort of mileage.
    I suspect the clutch would not last long with more power but to be honest that doesn't really bother me. The thing that really bothers me is the turbo.

Does anybody know how strong the turbo's are on these cars? Anybody remapped a high mileage car before?

Any advice would be great

We map a number of car's with over 100k.. Just today 5/11/11 we have done 2 x 520d's 1 at 90k and 1 at 108.. We do a mild re-map there is no point mapping a car with 100k on the clock like you would do a 10k car.. Also as above drop the servicing down to 7k etc..
    Thanks Mike

01604 810000
    07842 122467

ECU mapping to a standard, not a price!

www.motechperformance.co.uk
    info@motechperformance.co.uk

facebook/motechperformance

Performance Software: EcoMap | CityMap | ActiveMap | X-Maps & X-Maps +
    Tuning: Eibach | Vmaxx | Remus | Remus Powerizer | Jetex | Hawke | PiperCross | Forge | Carbon Speed

12. The Following User Says Thank You to motechmike For This Useful Post:

joebmw1991 (05-11-2011)

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Christ4's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Man
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Be careful, I wish I hadn't done mine!!! I only learned that these cars have clutch issues as standard after I'd got mine remapped, had I known that I would be risking exacerbating a known problem I wouldn't have risked it... Mines only done 53k and was mapped by a reputable company. It was a modest remap too, done live on a rolling road, to a sensible 190hp. Full BMW history, 07plate, no previous problems.....

Now after 300 miles, clutch slip, judder, smell, and a general lack of trust of the car....

The problem with remaps is that you can never get balanced information, there's lots of spin from mappers that want to sell their services but no consistent source of reports on mapped cars, and the longevity thereof. For example, if I wrote this three days ago I too would have been unconditionally positive but now I know more...

This is my second mapped vehicle and the second that has had clutch troubles (as previously said due to torque from diesels). The other one that had issues was expected as it was more highly tuned ( bigger injectors, intercooler etc) and had gone from 88hp to 154hp!

The biggest issue is that, it's not simply a case of the old clutch being worn, and so replacing like for like will not help. To deal with the increased torque you need an uprated clutch, Sachs offer just this for €700 and you be advised to change the Dmf whilst you've got it in bits, so say £300 and then £400 labour. That's £1400..... Your £250 remap doesn't sound so cheap anymore does it!! And that's without even considering that your other drivetrain components weren't designed for that power either!
    Last edited by Christ4; 07-11-2011 at 11:58.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Christ4 For This Useful Post:

joebmw1991 (13-11-2011)

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Cendrian's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Compact
    Images
    Thanks
    In fairness when you up the power from stock you really need to consider what other components may be affected. The stock parts on these things tend to be running near enough their limit (on the derv thats mainly clutch), so a remap has the potential to push it beyond those limitations, thus an uprated clutch and DMF are a good idea.

I'm seriously considering a diesel tuning box over a fixed remap at the moment, purely because when its disconnected your engine runs stock, plug it in again and you have your remapped attributes. This gives some freedom if things are pushing things too far for comfort and want to 'roll back' the upgrade so to speak. You can also choose between multiple maps on the box, so you can switch between power-based map to an economic-map (for example).

To each their own, and most are happy with their remaps, but its the owner/drivers responsibility to anticipate what bigger power/torque will require upgrade wise where applicable.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Cendrian For This Useful Post:

joebmw1991 (13-11-2011)

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Christ4's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Man
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    In terms of how the car drives, yes remaps are great. My point is that now I have a car of unknown reliability/longevity, and this detracts from the overall enjoyment of the car. Its running more hp and torque than was intended and this has already (after one week) caused an issue. I don't doubt that some people have remaps and experience no ill effects, but clearly some people do have problems too. I just wish I could have found some details of the latter, prior to taking the plunge. As I say, there's lots of places talking soley about benefits and playing down the potential issues. If you look on remap websites you will see 'filtered' feedback from supposed customers, no issues ever mentioned! I cannot be the only person that has had issues .

I agree with Cendrian and yes to each there own. I just find it difficult to accept that this industry is not regulated, not forced to give impartial advise (including awareness of potential issues) and are not accountable for there actions ( unless you personally pursue and prove this )...

That's why forums like this are so useful

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Christ4 For This Useful Post:

joebmw1991 (13-11-2011)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast