BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

Which octane is best for the 3.0 petrol engine ?

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  ckl139 
#1 ·
Hi all, what octane fuel do most of you run on the 3.0 straight 6 ? 2001 model. Book says 95 to 97. Are 98 and 99 a viable option or not ?

#6 ·
HIgher octane is better only if the car can adjust it's timing accordingly. So if the limit of the cars management is an advance curve for 97RON them 98 or 99 RON will make your car slower

#9 ·
Sorry I thought they where linked. Surely if the ECU detects Knock it would alter the cam timing as well? And if it does it would work in reverse when higher octane fuel is used. The way I understood it is that the ECU constantly try's to advance (to a degree) to gain best performance and the pulls back when it detects knock.
Both my 330i's run better with shell Vpower and both Pink now and again on "normal" fuel.

I find this very interesting and would like to know more.

Cheers

Kevin

#13 ·
My opinion - standard octane fuel (95RON or less) should only be used on Carb-based injection systems due to systems involved

If you want to extend the life of your fuel delivery components (pump, filter, injectors) and engine as well as maintain maximum mpg, higher octane should always be a pre-requisite

#14 ·
Carb-based injection
What do you mean by this?

If you want to extend the life of your fuel delivery components (pump, filter, injectors)
How does higher octane extend the life of these?

It's my understanding that vanos affects the phase of the camshaft, so it can open earlier and close later equally.
It doesn't alter the lobe profile the valve only opens for the same time, if it opens earlier it closes earlier. Twin vanos can alter the relationship of the cams to each other too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.