Model of Car:
    e46 325 aa stage 2 hks supercharged
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    step-tronic
    Car Body Type:
    vert

Thanks
    The kit is a active autowerke stage 2 with hks blower! So I thought it's time to get a thread up to share abit of light on options for speeding up out beloved e46 without going for an m3! I also hope this thread can help people understand whats involved and the key things I've come across to beware of if you decide to take this route! I do not profess to being a mechanic and neither am I doing the work but through consulting from the best I can tell you basic problems I've come across and at the least my experience of the results obtained!

So first off if you want to supercharge there are a few kits to pick from! The best are "ess" which do a great twin screw kit best for low end performance! "vf" also do a kit which is probly the cheapest! I've gone with active autowerkes because they are well respected and there kit gave the best figures! These figures are an estimated 345 bhp and 8psi! If you go brand new from aa your looking at 5700 dallers! But there are plenty of used kits out there! Your going to have to buy from the states! There are companies I'n the uk such as ca-auto which you can go through but all they do is ship the kit from florida where active is based! Be carefull with shipping! I found out the hard way the problems with customs tax here which is 20%! There are ways round this but you have to be a bit naughty, yet I still advise to be "naughty" as you will be looking at £600 at the leaste just on vat!
    So when the kit comes check the bad boy over! It should come with a parts list and instalation cd!
    This is where I pass the job onto my mechanic! Lol so fitting the kit is reasonably simple but so far we came across problems you should know! Main one being the ecu system and injector size! The kit is made for the ms45 which the yanks changed there e46 to I'n 2003! Unfortunatly ours are ms43 until 2007! So this will give problems with the injectors as the kit gives you larger ones! Also the kit instructions will not show you how to do the wiring on a ms43! So realy all you have todo is find the correct injector size for the ms43 kit and instruction!
    Next problem was belt didn't fit! It was to small! You could either get a new belt or a smaller pully which would actually increase booste! I went with a larger belt as an increase I'n psi was not want which I will discuss later!
    Only other problem so far has been the kit itself doesn't come with intercooler mounts but these are easily made or bought!

The job of instalation usually takes 6-8 hours!
    I'm yet to Map the car! I would advise using your kit company to do your map! This can keep your warranty valid! Usually you send them your ecu! Which is a pain but ive managed to twist their arm to send file over email! Make sure you back this map up incase of any problems!

Power wise many think uprated internals are needed! 8psi is basically on the edge of being safe! 7psi your definetly fine! I'm going to run safe! Most kits are 6psi anyway! My cars got lower springs and bending an m-sport Im very confident I'n the chasis! I havnt uprated brakes! Also think this is wasteful spending unless your hitting the track or gaining alot of weight! Transmition wise your also fine! If you have an auto as many people think they will slip easy! The same box is used on the x5 and will withstand the kit!

This is a prodject many would skip and buy an m3! Which I wouldn't critisize as there great cars but it's fun to be a little original with our cars! Cost wise depending on how much you pay for your non m will allow you to figuer out if your saving money on buying an m3! You can do this upgrade I'n the region of 2 to 4 grand well! You can buy a lovely clean 330 for say 8-9 end result being 12-13k! About the price for a decent m3! But you would have a better condition 330 and also a much quicker car! My 325 was 12k but with a very low milage convertible in new like condition! I expect m3 performance stats!

So thanks for reading if I didn't bore you to death!

(friend and mechanic of this build is now a member on here ( BMWizard ) BMW trained tec, and diagnostics, "what this guy doesn't know about bmw's.... Isn't worth knowing" any questions I'm sure he will happily answer you!

the video and pictures were taken on my iphone so poor sound and picture quality, the car at present is only runing 2psi as map and injectors are being istalled verry soon to get 8psi.

Thanks for reading

Charlie

052.jpg056.jpg057.jpg058.jpg052.jpg056.jpg057.jpg058.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    charlie-boi's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e46 325 aa stage 2 hks supercharged
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    step-tronic
    Car Body Type:
    vert

Thanks
    hks blower
    Attached Images

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    y3putt's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    118D MSport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Hatchback
    Thanks
    Hey good read Charlie...

Keep the thread updated after the map etc and everything is sorted... It would be good to see the comparison, performance wise, with an M3..

Mark..

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    m44lee's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    supercharged 318is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    nice mate! get some more pics up! its good to see people taking different routes for power!
    i'm the same with my e36 i've probably laid out m3 money but am still happy to have a more unique 4 pot!

SUPERCHARGED 318IS

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    m44lee's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    supercharged 318is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks