Must beat ***hole in Mercedes! Need the advice of you fine folks if possible! M3 SMG

Notices

Thread: Must beat ***hole in Mercedes! Need the advice of you fine folks if possible! M3 SMG

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Must beat ***hole in Mercedes! Need the advice of you fine folks if possible! M3 SMG 
    BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Sam_M3's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Images
    Thanks
    Hi everyone, I'm Sam, 21 from Kent. I'm new to this forum, and I've been told it's the Mecca of all BMW lovers!
    I was hoping to get some advice from somebody with a bit more knowledge than me about M3s (which is probably every one of you) regarding tuning my 52 reg M3 SMG Semi-Auto 3.2. I was surprised with it yesterday as an early birthday present from my Dad (generous legend). It's pretty blimmin' quick, (running at over 340 BHP) but struggles to keep up with this smarmy BMW hating ******* in an AMG Merc!
    Can't let that be the case, can we lads??
    I was hoping to get the ECU re-mapped for additional Torque and BHP. I had originally planned on buying a 325i, and to use Darren at AP Tuning for the job. I've have 4 friends that are over the moon with his efficient and inexpensive work, and judging by his helpful texts he's obviously a very knowledgeable guy, but unfortunately he's unable to work on this specific car. (Something to do with a 'Dyno'..? Given my short knowledge of cars, I thought he was talking about Jurassic Park). Big shame I can no longer use him, as he has been more than happy to answer all sorts of frequent questions about how to turn a standard road car in to something seemingly fresh off of Silverstone!
    Do any of you guys know anybody who could do this for me? And if so, what would I have to do to the car before taking it in for a re-map? I,e - Spark Plugs, Coolant flush etc etc. I'd hate to push too much power into the car without taking necessary precautions before hand, and blow the bugger up! My main aim is to make this car as 'torquey' as possible, so if any of you Beamer-Gods have any other suggestions, please let me know. A rough price, and how/where I need to go about instalment and supply would be greatly appreciated.
    I was also hoping to get the car either vinyl wrapped or resprayed in matte white, and have somebody install the body kit I have just bought from Dimma, but the cheapest I can find is Full Circle in Marden, who quoted me £3000 for kit install and full respray. Seems pretty expensive to me, any suggestions?
    As I say, compared to most, my knowledge of new cars is pretty slim.. I don't know if there's anything I've missed that you need to know before giving advice on how to upgrade the cars performance, but in case you need to know; It's a Semi-Auto (with the Tiptronic gear shifter on the steering wheel) it has 18" rims, everything is currently at factory standard other than a recently purchased clutch. Which parts should I look at renewing before increasing the power, I,e pistons, induction system, exhaust etc? Anything that I would be likely to get away with and is not a necessity, nor a risk of engine damage, I would rather leave until it's needed. As you can imagine, it's already going to be very pricey!
    Any help would be really useful to me guys, and it would be much more encouraging talking to a genuine neighbourly Petrolhead than a trader that will say just about anything to persuade me to spend loads of money when I don't really need to!
    Although I very much respect (and expect) your comments concerning safety, I've had enough crashes in my meagre 21 years to understand that I'm not invincible! They hurt! Despite the additional 40 kilos in weight, the very first add-on the car received was a heavy duty iron roll-cage. It's not the prettiest of contraptions, and still doesn't provide death defying superhuman powers, but I do take every precaution to ensure maximum safety. I may well believe that speed is the best thing in life, but I refuse to allow it end mine!! Hence the £1300 set of Michelins and the £600 sports brakes!
    Thanks so much in advance you legends.

Edit: I'm getting lots of helpful replies from this post, being new to the forum and a general Neanderthal with technology, I'm responding to everybody who has commented, but not sure if I'm doing it right..? I look at the post as a whole, and all my replies to commenters are appearing at the end of the comments section one after the other, and no sign of who I'm trying to talk to? Is this correct? Are you guys recieving notifications of my response? Cheers
    Last edited by Sam_M3; 06-02-2014 at 10:35.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Administrator
    Car Details
    Ian S's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3 Evo, E60 530D, 911 C4S, Yaris T Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Loon
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,711 Posts
    As you're in London I'd speak to BWchiptune about a remap. I'm not sure what Merc you're up against but if it's one of those AMG 6.3 jobbies you might have to abandon your quest. I've been in a few and the acceleration is epic, although predictably crap in the bends.

As for the rollcage, a bit OTT for the road. Is it a full or half cage? Usually you have to wear a helmet in a caged car to prevent damage to your head from said cage...

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Sam_M3's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Images
    Thanks
    Thanks for reply buddy, not sure what type of Merc, it wasn't all that much quicker than the standard M3 though, I'm pretty sure I could get it sailing past! Ha! And as for roll-cage, it's a full iron one that I took out of my track car, I'm notorious for rolling cars, and been told that the roofs are not the sturdiest under pressure. It's pretty far out of head smash distance! BW Chiptune is a good shout, thanks matey

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    goldbcfc's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Z4
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    roadster
    Thanks
    Theres a few 6.3 amg cruising round bham the noise on acceleration is like thunder... I likes

E46 coupe 318ci ,E46 convertible 330ci,E46 coupe 325ci ,E85 Z4R 3.0i,E46 coupe 330ci,E85 Z4R 2.2i,E46 convertible 318ci,E85 Z4R 2.5si

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Delboy318dm's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318d Msport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Not sure about your tuning stuff but as for the paint and body kit that's actually a decent price for full re spray and body kit fitting even more so if your doing a colour change if they are a reputable bodyshops aswell I wld put up with it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Sam_M3's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Images
    Thanks
    Yeah mate they do roar haha

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Sam_M3's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Images
    Thanks
    Ok, I'll most likely use them, good reviews and cheaper than other quotes. Thanks for reply bud

Authorised Bimmerforums UK Vendor
    Car Details
    bwchiptune's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    x5
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    auto
    Car Body Type:
    estate
    Thanks
    The reason AP tuning can't tune the car is that I make the tuning files for him on bmws cars and I prefer to tuning these m3 on the dyno if you want all out power

To keep up with amg cars you would need to fit a super charger to you m3 to have any hope of trying to keep up

E46 m3 are not that quick these days compared to most other cars
    A standard 335d remapped will always get the better of a e46 m3
    As they have so much more torque

And on a rolling start you would have to make sure your in the lower gears as you can be caught out as you will need to drop down 2 gears to get the engine in to the higher rev range

Can I ask how many cars have you managed to put on there roofs?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

PERFORMANCE ECU TUNING(ALL CARS)FOR Bimmerforums MEMBERS
    CHIPPING AND REMAPPING
    Dyno Dynamics Rolling Road
    WORKSHOP REPAIRS(BMW,AUDI,VW,VAG,MERCS)
    TURBO,SUPERCHARGER TUNING
    ENGINE TRANSPLANT ECU CONVERSIONS
    CODING & PROGRAMMING,
    ECU REPAIRS & DPF,CAT REMOVAL
    REMAPPING TOOLS AND TUNED FILES AVAILABLE
    M5 F10 M6 F12/13 REMAPS £699
    WE HAVE NOW MOVED TO HAYES UB3 1BB
    www.bwchiptune.co.uk
    www.bwautorepairs.co.uk
    www.tuningtools.co.uk
    +44(0)7831 10 30 30
    +44(0)208 561 18 18

BMW Master
    Car Details
    BigiE's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    More importantly, at the tender age of 21, with rolling cars, how much was your insurance on an M3?

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    vauxfan's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325 sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    loon
    Thanks
    I was going to say supercharger is your best option. Can I ask why if your dad has just bought it are you colour changing and adding after market body kits? Dimma in my day was for the 205 gti and honestly I thought they looked crap. As as said amg usually means big engine big torque. The only way to stand a chance is to charge it. Then when you are street racing you can kill yourself and any unlucky person who happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to vauxfan For This Useful Post:

Motosnape (06-02-2014)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast