Model of Car:
    X5 3.0 Diesel Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Estate 4x4

Thanks
    Hi please let there be somebody out there that can actually shed some light on my nightmare X5 3.0d!!!

Long story so will keep it short as poss but you guys will need the backround on this!

My BMW x5 3.0 d suffered hydraulic lock at low revs, basically the main seal went in the Injection pump and filled the sump with 30 litres of diesel through the crankcase. Our local garage diagnosed the problem and recomended a replacement engine as the most economical repair aswe may have bent conrods etc from the lock pressure.

Short of funds and our garage not being able to source a used lump we internet searched and found 'Ideal Engines and Gearboxes' in Barking London. they offered us a low milage 43,000 engine complete and fitted with 12 months unlimited milage warranty for £1795 fitted and recovered from our garage. we agreed and the car was picked up within 24hours.

From, there the nightmare began!! i'll spare the awfull services and false promises to shorten the story but when on the second time we attemted to collect the car we found a missing crankcase breather pipe and a radiator held on by 2 cable ties!!!
    On the journey south it was wallowing in the corners with a harsh banging rom the front end! turns out they had removed antiroll bar links and not put them back on and also not fitted numerous nuts and bolts, three of which being engine to bell housing! oil leaks galore due to missing bolts and the best of all bearing in mind they knew the original engine failure they had re fitted our original faulty fuel pump so the new engine was slowly filling its sump with diesel again! the supposed recon turbo( an extra on top at £380quid!) was a shabby in house strip down sprayed with silver paint to make it look new and when professionally rebuilt by mr turbo in scotland a first class company and pleasure todeal with they found bit of old offcuts inside where Ideal Engines had bodged it back together!

Anyhow back to my original point, the engie is running really badly! when the MAF is unplugged it run ok and revs freely however when plugged in it wont idle nicly or rev properly untill the turbo cuts in then it pulls like a train and blows out the rear end all the un burnt fuel from between 900rpm and 2000rpm. ou garage said we needed a replacement MAF at £100 from unipart. when fitted still no joy, disconnect tho and again free reving and very normalish running???? they referred us to a Autoelectrician who then said he had run tests and the unipart/pattern MAF was not emmiting the right signal infomation and recomended a bmw genuine part MAF to solve our problem. at £250 plus VAt this was fitted and yet again awfull running! lag before turbo cut in and after 15mins driving engine then started smoking thick grey smoke and very little power... eventually not even having the beans to pull away from standstill, disconect MAF and away she goes! HELP HELP HELP!!!

by the way we were told by our garage the replacement engine looks to be from a 'high climate' model????

can anybody shed some slight before i kill the X5 or the wife kills me!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Premium Member
    Car Details
    matthew_henson's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E61 525d Touring
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring/Estate
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,412 Times in 1,223 Posts
    Have you had any diagnostics done, it could be a number of things including other sensors. Hard to say with out the fault codes

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Dave Midd's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    X5 3.0 Diesel Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Estate 4x4

Thanks
    Yes both my garage and the auto electrician said there are no fault codes and when the MAF is disconected the MIL light does not come on?? the garage reckons it needs the ecu to be wiped and reloaded at bmw main dealer??? what do you think?? pocket is running low as everybody has dipped into it guessing so could really do with knowing what to do next.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Premium Member
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E61 525d Touring
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring/Estate
    Thanks
    Had another thought, if this shower of idiots did such a dodgy rebuild they may have lost the turbo snorkel grommet (big rubber seal that seals the pipe from MAF to turbo) this lets air in to the turbo after the MAF so a perfectly good MAF is reporting low air flow despite the air getting more air. Another member had the same running conditions as you and new grommet which is cheap and easy to replace fixed it.

Also you ought to make sure the engine breather is a vortex type and the swirl flaps removed from the manifold or you may need another engine/turbo

Finally have you tried cleaning the EGR valve and inlet manifold and also blocking off the EGR valve actuator pipe and seeing how it runs without and operting EGR valve. It doesn't do it any harm and your car will not report an emissions fault either.

Would dispute the lack of fault codes, running with the MAF disconnected will automatically create one

Bloody bad luck by the way, you seem to get hammered on all fronts, there are a few dodgy people in London, there is one in West London that is worse

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Dave Midd's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    X5 3.0 Diesel Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Estate 4x4

Thanks
    Hi mate i take it you mean the rilled rubber collar type seal that is between the air intake pipe and the turbo housing? as yes this is present and fitted.

Please excuse my ignorance but what is the egr valve and what does it do? where would i find it? test it? why is it that when i disconnect the MAF it seems to run normalish?? my garage seems to think with it disconnected the ecu goes into default/limp mode to allow the engine to run in 'get home' mode???

Just at my wits end with it as i am nearly 4k lighter since the original recovery!

Also another point was the car went into Ideal engines with 150,000miles on the clock and returned with 145,000miles??? have they changed the ecu or something???

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    TheEnd's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,990 Times in 2,440 Posts
    Has anyone mentioned injector coding to you yet?
    It is possible the ECU isn't aware of the new injectors and is trying to correct them based on what it thinks is still fitted.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Dave Midd's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    X5 3.0 Diesel Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Estate 4x4

Thanks
    No not yet mate, would this lack of coding cause such bad running? would this be something that would get worse over time from the engine refit or would it have been noticable from when we drove it back form the shower of shizzer in Barking???

Premium Member
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E61 525d Touring
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring/Estate
    Thanks
    Heavens they did tinker with it... Is there a little dot next to the miles and trip display? Sometime when you do an engine transplant you need to bring over the engine ECU (DDE) and the car ECU (EWS) and changing the EWS will change the mileage, I wonder if the "new" engine had done 43k? The block on these things are bombproof though. I bet you wish you had your old engine rebult now?

If you remove the MAF connector the ECU reverts to an inbuilt map as opposed to actual values and that is not as accurate but allows the car to run nearly normally. You may find they have bought the wrong MAF sensor even though it is a Bosch, it is very important it is a like for like part number replacement (this website should become your friend, it tells you the part numbers you need RealOEM.com Online BMW Parts Catalog)

They also need to get it on BMW INPA software, lots of forum member have copies of it (the laptop I am typing on has it installed) and this allows you to see the actual measured values to see if the sensors are working or not. I highly recommend you get it diagnosed with BMW software and not a generic tool like a Peake code reader.

The EGR valve mixed exhaust gas with inlet air to aid low emissions, the trouble is oil from the engine mixes with soot and from the exhaust and turns to "coal" in the EGR valve and inlet manifold which restricts airflow.

Again engine breather and swirl flaps? must do job especially at that mileage

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Dave Midd's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    X5 3.0 Diesel Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Estate 4x4

Thanks
    Mathew i cant tell you how much i wish i had stuck with my original lump as it was only on pull away when it locked up!

Do you think based on what i have described bmw can download the correct ecu information and reset my cars systems??

I have had a recon turbo recon bosch fuel pump entire new air intake pipe system and BMW genuine MAF! surely i cant change much more! i certainly can afford to keep spending on garage guesses!

Premium Member
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E61 525d Touring
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring/Estate
    Thanks
    The fact that car runs means the EWS and DDE are insync and working but as Enda said they may not and recalibrated the injectors. It is a very easy job if you have the software, the other useful thing to know is Quarry Motors in Sheffield, they sell secondhand BMW parts and really know their stuff, you may be able to do a deal on your nice new MAF sensor for the right secondhand one. Again prpoer software would tell you if it was working or not

You need to find somebody with BMW INPA sofware, I would post a message on the fourm requesting INPA help in Chichester, I bet somebody would help out for a couple of beer vouchers. I know I would if you were in my area.

Finally you are ignoring you comments about swirl flaps... I can show you some great pictures of smashed pistons and cylinder heads if you want

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast