Model of Car:
    525 tds
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    So would my case only need the one chip??
    and What boost would these chips be mapped to work with,
    as I had though of plumbing in a boost gauge and turning the boost up (the actuator has an adjustable arm)

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    TheEnd's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 2,440 Posts
    There are 2 chips fitted in your ECU, one controls the main fueling quantities, the other is mostly empty apart from some maps for injector timing / phasing.
    You can tune it up by just using the one chip, but changes in the second chip help too.

As it happens, it's fairly close to the max as it it; being only an 8 bit ECU there isn't much space left to increase fueling quantities, but it does still watch the boost so you can increase the turbo pressure, and the ECU will measure the increase in airflow and increase the injected diesel.

I can't find any figures on what the standard boost is though.
    The tuning generally tells the car how much fuel to inject at a certain roadspeed and throttle position, and it'll check over how much air it has drawn in and calculate what it can do without clouds of smoke.

If you get more air in (from more boost) you'll get more power just by mechanical means.

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Smiler's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    525 TDS Tourer & 525i Tramp Track
    Year of Manufacture:
    1994 & 1991
    Transmission Type:
    Manuals
    Car Body Type:
    Touring & Saloon

Thanks
    My car is as described above with no ECU control over the turbo and still takes two chips. Fear not, even without increasing the turbos output, the increase in performance is very impressive. It will be money well spent. In fact, I'm starting to think that BMW may have purposely de-tuned the cars a little to stop them from threatening sales of the petrol 525i.

All above vehicles plus more covered on my website. URL on request (has a small For Sale section so against forum rules to publish link).

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    johnwayne's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    316i compact
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manwell
    Car Body Type:
    compact..

Thanks
    How much would fitting one of theses chips to a 325tds reduce the mpg?

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    doug1234's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    525tds
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    auto
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    I have never found out what the standard boost is for the turbo,the only advice I have is on how to set the waste gate linkage for the turbo to its stock position.

It is as follows,with the engine not running there is to be about 0.5mm of free play where the actuator arm connects to the waste gate,basically this means you should be able to feel a tiny bit of slack when you wiggle the rod side to side.

If you are strong enough then you can pull on the actuator rod (move it towards rear of car) and this is not easy to do.

Also despite some hard revs in neutral etc I doubt you will ever see the actuator arm move,I never have.

There may possibly be more info on turbo pressures etc on Land Rover sites ,the 4x4 sites seem in general better for this than Bmw forums

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Smiler's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    525 TDS Tourer & 525i Tramp Track
    Year of Manufacture:
    1994 & 1991
    Transmission Type:
    Manuals
    Car Body Type:
    Touring & Saloon

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnwayne View Post
    How much would fitting one of theses chips to a 325tds reduce the mpg?
    I can't say that I have noticed any increase in consumption with mine, however I am spedning half my time in 'limp home mode' thanks to a pre-existing fault which is helping mpg. 'Limp home mode' is also much improved!

I have noticed that less throttle is needed in normal driving resulting in similar consumption if the needle it to be beleived but once up to speed it seems to be improved and holds its speed better without having to ease more accelerator.

All above vehicles plus more covered on my website. URL on request (has a small For Sale section so against forum rules to publish link).

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    TheEnd's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    I think generally you don't see any decrease in mpg unless you spend a lot of time flat out.
    Small improvements are more common, but only on a diesel.

Petrols for example will range from no noticeable change to a slight decrease, but even then it's not to the point of worry.

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Xmak 330d's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330d e46
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,188 Times in 1,013 Posts
    If I could just jump in on this thread please and ask TheEnd a question
    I've got a 2000 M57 184hp 330d which I've fitted a boost guage to, mainly for intrest and to check it was working when I had a running fault a while ago (was crap blocking map sensor). Anyway I was hopeing if you could tell me what boost it should produce, and how it behaves. As it boost up alot when flooring it then drops back to 15psi ish this sound correct?

The car drives superb, just want to learn about it.
    I'm very tempted to get it remaped by you in the future.

Sorry for butting in on a thread.

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    TheEnd's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    You may be getting a bit of bounce in the needle and a touch of overboost before it drops back to the max.
    As it stands, your ECU will "request" a max of 2.125bar, which is 1.125 bar of boost (over the 1 bar which is atmospheric pressure (weather permitting!)

It has a maximum limit of 2.250 total pressure with a +.400 and -.130 limits for error

Depending on the conditions, torque limits etc, you should have 1 bar of boost from about 1500rpms upwards, just peaking at 3000rpms, and tailing off ever so slightly towards the redline at full throttle.

1 bar boost = 14.7 PSI so everything is working fine as it is.
    If you catch it just right, you can overboost it a little and it's happy up until 2.250 bar when it'll open the vanes (Variable Vane Turbo, instead of a more common wastegate) and stop the party.

It has the tolerances for fault detection at .4 bar over what it wanted, and -.130 under what it wanted so it's happy for little spikes just as you nail it before it starts getting worried.

Analogue gauges aren't always too accurate, they can be out a little, and they can overshoot the point it was trying to aim at if it has to move very quick.
    You'll often find that the good ones are quite heavily damped to keep the needle smooth and accurate.

All in all, little overshoots are OK, the ECU will keep an eye on it too, and the boost you are getting is fine.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TheEnd For This Useful Post:

Xmak 330d (31-07-2011)

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Xmak 330d's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330d e46
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,188 Times in 1,013 Posts
    Thanks, yeh it boost to around 2 bar ish when you floor then quickly drops to 1bar, you wouldn't notice if there was no guage the acceleration is very smooth with it.
    It's not an expensive guage it only reads upto 1bar just after the 3oclock position on a clock. But the needle shoots past where 6 would be when flooring it! Shocked me the first time i saw it, had it in my old car (pug dturbo 306) that only boosted to 1bar after adjusting the wastegate.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234