BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

M50B25 stroker kit

Tags
stroker
20K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  eazy e 
#1 ·
hi guys, i was planning to swap my engine this summer, for a S50 engine. but now, i'm thinking that maybe a stroker kit would be great also. although this means more work and probably less bhp, the idea still attracts me, especially if I plan to compete with this car, keeping the OEM engine will put me in a whole lot easier class of opponents (166-200bhp), and with great chances of winning. so i was wondering if any of you did this mod on the car. I've been looking around but couldn't find a similar thread, and most of the threads on similar forums are abandoned, closed etc. from what I've read, I'll need the S50B30 crank, M50B25 non-vanos rods and pistons from a M54B30 (they are shorter, presumably). what do you say? what else would I need, what do I need to have in mind before starting this (if ever, I haven't really made up my mind yet)?

cheers,
gabriel

#2 ·
Just had a bit of look for you. Looks like you can use the 330 pistons, rods and crank. With custom pistons and a bore you can get upto 3.2.

You will also need to think about what you are going to do engine management wise.

It really depends on how much work you are able to do yourself to determine if it is worth it or not.

I would give buying an M3 serious thought, it will already have loads of other uprated parts. Changing the diff, exhaust, brakes etc will not be cheap.

Saying that a 3 litre M50 would be a thing of great beauty!

#3 ·
The problem is that I haven't really heard anyone saying "YAY! I did it!".. everywhere I look, only abandoned projects. I'll keep an eye for them, tho'.. I'll probably go for a the S50 swap. I'd love a stroker on this M50, this engine is pretty much bullet-proof, and competing wise, it would bring me great satisfaction, I'm sure of it. But then again, I think I'll just go for the easy way with the S50.

Thanks anyway, Ian! :thumbsup

#5 ·
Thanks mate, I appreciate it! :thumbsup

#6 ·
defo a thread worth reading.. seems like a hell lot of work, but kinda disappointed to see he finally decided to sell it, after he managed to have it all sorted out. anyway, seems like a similar project would require too much work and money. I think I'll go for the S50 swap, it's a lot easier.

#7 ·
Still on course with my stroker project.

Hey Mate.

I'm still on course with my stroker project. Just received my forged rods and and ceramic head gasket. But this is taking more time than i first thought , not only making sure i have all the right bits but finding out as much as poosible. I've only found one person who has completed it to the end (DJC, on e36 coupe.com ) , he also fitted a supercharger. The project had trouble with the fueling and ended up dead. I think with combination of stroke and supercharger it became to difficult to get right for most mortals anyway.
So be prepared for restless ngts. It got so bad at one point i found it hard to sleep.:embarrassed:embarrassed LoL. There is alot to learn if you take on this project on. You'll need to understand about AFR (Air Fuel Ratios) , wideband o2 sensors to ensure you are getting the right afr. Engine tolerances and engine building the list is endless.
If you end up ripping your hair out trying to get the right info (alot people have the wrong info and some have superior knowledge ,it deciphering what sh@t and what isn't. ) you could always go down the same road as me and get someone else to build it for you. Again this comes at a cost, a BIG f@@king cost. Wish i just did an M3 swap .
So see how you feel in a couple of weeks weigh it all up. I did it arse about face a little by just buying so much for the project that i couldn't go bk. :hihi:hihi. If you decide to continue just let me know and i'll try and poit you in the right direction.

Cheers Donut................:lol

#10 ·
Hey Mate.

I'm still on course with my stroker project. Just received my forged rods and and ceramic head gasket. But this is taking more time than i first thought , not only making sure i have all the right bits but finding out as much as poosible. I've only found one person who has completed it to the end (DJC, on e36 coupe.com ) , he also fitted a supercharger. The project had trouble with the fueling and ended up dead. I think with combination of stroke and supercharger it became to difficult to get right for most mortals anyway.
So be prepared for restless ngts. It got so bad at one point i found it hard to sleep.:embarrassed:embarrassed LoL. There is alot to learn if you take on this project on. You'll need to understand about AFR (Air Fuel Ratios) , wideband o2 sensors to ensure you are getting the right afr. Engine tolerances and engine building the list is endless.
If you end up ripping your hair out trying to get the right info (alot people have the wrong info and some have superior knowledge ,it deciphering what sh@t and what isn't. ) you could always go down the same road as me and get someone else to build it for you. Again this comes at a cost, a BIG f@@king cost. Wish i just did an M3 swap .
So see how you feel in a couple of weeks weigh it all up. I did it arse about face a little by just buying so much for the project that i couldn't go bk. :hihi:hihi. If you decide to continue just let me know and i'll try and poit you in the right direction.

Cheers Donut................:lol
any news so far, mate? i'm fiddling again with the idea of stroking, lol. as difficult as it is, it still appeals very much. M50B30 sounds really good to me! maybe i could find the inspiration in your project and finally get mine started. looking forward to hearing the news on your project, mate! :thumbsup

#8 ·
There are options on the mapping. You could try a piggyback ECU. The standalone ECU's I have used have had an autotune option to get a base map and you can then tweak from there. It's probably best to have a play on the old engine before you stick in the new one!

Engine building can be a right mare. I know my brother had to pull his engine out twice due to his engine builder messing up.

Personally, I'd go the same route as Mr D above and get someone else to build and map it!

Ian

#9 ·
at this point, after a lot of reading, i think i'll stick to the original plan - meaning the M3 swap. stroking seems to be a lil bit too much of a headache with a lot of spending money. but thanks for the offer, i might end up taking advantage of it, if i change my mind and go for the stroker. as i said, i still have plenty of time to think about options, the swap/stroke think will happen no sooner than summer. again, thanks a lot, mate! :thumbsup

#11 ·
Not ever going to give up.

hi.
So there is some go news on Donut's Stroker saga. :eek
So to anyone who has looked into this will soon realise it's not very straight forward or cost effective. For me i don't have the option of dropping out. It's cost so much in bits and time (i'm fairly poor) that i'll just have to see it through to the end.
I started to write it up last month to add to a bulid thread and again like everything else with this thing it aint that easy. So for the next month ( just had a baby girl so gonna use up my paternity time ) i'll gather all the info pictures and put it up all at once. Please remember i am no way an expert at this sort of thing and although i've built my motor from a 200 wrecker i would even call myself competant. ;)

Cheers D.

#12 ·
let us know the link to the thread mate.. would be nice to see how things went down! anyway, good luck with the porject, i'm sure it'll be a kick-ass in the end! :thumbsup

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.