M3 Throttle bodies...will they fit 1996 323i???

Notices

Thread: M3 Throttle bodies...will they fit 1996 323i???

Reply to Thread
  1. M3 Throttle bodies...will they fit 1996 323i??? 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    magicmart123's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    323i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    auto
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    Hi folks.

I've had a look around on other posts but couldn't really find anything relating to my query. I've got a 1996 323i coupe which I'd like to make a little quicker but within a budget until I can afford an M3. I've already got a complete M3 Evo rear set up including limited slip diff which I'm looking forward to installing next month which should improve my acceleration a little.

This is a question that has probably been answered a hundred times in the past but I'm very new on here and have missed the answer .

Do the M3 throttle bodies fit? I remember reading somewhere once ages ago that they could but possibly foul something or other. Is this the case and is there any way round it as it seems like a really good upgrade .

I'm guessing though by the fact that I can't find any info out about it, that it's probably just wishful thinking on my part .

I was also considering the inlet manifold and throttle body from the earlier 325i but a post I've read on here says that because the angle is different they don't make a good seal. Does anyone have any yea's or nays with regards to the 325i manifold option?

Thanks in advance for any advice or info anyone can give?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BFuk Moderator
    Car Details
    morerevsm3's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3, and 325e
    Year of Manufacture:
    1994 and 1986
    Transmission Type:
    manual and manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe and sedan
    Thanks
    there are a couple of problems, the port shape and bolt pattern is different, can be overcome with custom adaptor plate, they will foul oil filter housing, can be cut down to clear.
    need to run stand alone ECU to run
    there is a guy here (in Australia) that has done it, very little gain for the cost and effort though...he has since bored stroked his to 2.9 litre, and added a turbo

4. The Following User Says Thank You to morerevsm3 For This Useful Post:

Ian S (27-10-2008)

Administrator
    Car Details
    Ian S's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E60 530D, 911 C4S, Yaris T Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Loon
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,264 Times in 1,734 Posts
    The ITB option is far more involved. I had a spare set of M3 ITB's and have had a quick look at fitting them to my M52. As said the port's don't match and they foul the oil filter housing (could be relocated, or you could plumb in the M3 one).

I have heard very good results from the M50 manifold conversion. Everyone (apart from certain UK forums) said to expect big gains up top with a small drop in torque. There are plenty of guides out there on how to fabricate the M50 manifold to fit or you can buy pre-converted ones.

Ian

6. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    magicmart123's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    323i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    auto
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    Thanks guys. I appreciate the advice. The reason I wondered about the suitability is because I've seen sets of M3 ITBs going for not much money you see and thought that as well as looking beautiful under the bonnet that I might expect respectable performance enhancement but I think from what you are saying the M50 manifold is the job for me...I'll just have to wait until I've got an actual M3 before I can see M3 ITBs under the bonnet :-) Oh yes, it will be mine !!! :-)