Model of Car:
    330ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    With deisel, you have to pay a lot more up front for the car, the engine is more complex and potentially has more to go wrong (higher pressure) and diesel is roughly twice the price as LPG.
    I calculate that car purchase cost aside it's still roughly 15-20% cheaper on LPG than on diesel.

I bought my 330ci for less than £1500, if you can find me a good 330d for less than £4000 I may look. I used to have a Mercedes C270CDi so have a rough guide.

At the end of the day, it's also the thought of the conversion that makes me interested, the saving of money is a big bonus. If all I wanted to do was save money then I'd buy a 1.2l VW Polo or something else equally as dull but if you drive a long distance every day then having a car that is more fun, interesting and comfortable is just as important as MPG.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Administrator
    Car Details
    Ian S's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3 Evo, E60 530D, 911 C4S, Yaris T Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Loon
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,711 Posts
    I had a 1.2 polo fairly recently for a bit, I wouldn't recommend it.

I've got a 530D for family and motorway duties but to be honest I don't think it's more than a few MPG better than my M3. At the speed I cruise at the M3 will do 32 to the 5's 35-7.

Is your E46 6 or 5 speed? Personally, I think you're doing the right thing. Cheaper running costs and you get to keep your 3L 6 pot.

BMW Master
    Car Details
    BigiE's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    It's a 5 speed auto.

BMW Master
    Car Details
    BigiE's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    An Update

I took the car in on Monday morning to be converted, I spent a good half hour chatting to the chaps who were going to do the work and was very happy with their attention to detail, consideration and happiness to talk me through the process. I left it with them so they could run diagnostics before the install. I spoke to them on Tuesday afternoon and was told the install was almost complete and pending a test drive and tune this morning it would all be ready. Sure enough I turned up at lunchtime and it was all in fine working order and after another long chat with them I was happy to part with the agreed amount.

I'm going to drive it home this evening and back to work tomorrow to ensure it's all okay over a prolonged period but so far it's completely unnoticeable other than a tiny momentary vibration as it switches from petrol to gas.

I'll report back after I've had time to evaluate it but so far I'm a happy customer.

Administrator
    Car Details
    Ian S's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Loon
    Thanks
    Thanks for the update. How much detail did they go into? They using any kind of emulation for things like lambda etc?

BMW Master
    Car Details
    BigiE's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    I didn't go into too much technical detail but they were happy to answer all the questions I had. It's a BRC adaptive system so it reads values real-time from the ECU etc and adapts input appropriately.

Now, having just said how good the garage has been and how happy I am I do have a problem and I hope somebody can shed some light:

On Sunday before taking the car to the garrage first thing on Monday morning I hooked the car up to my new copy of INPA and it had one fault code in memory: "Lambada Probe heating upstream sensor 2" - it wasn't throwing the MIL light, just there, I cleared, drove around and it was gone. I suspected a failing Lambada probe (pre cat). I told the garage this and they said they would look it up to their diagnostic computer first to check before any more work. They did the check and nothing was found (I'd driven 100 miles on Monday morning)

I collected the car this morning and all was fine, I got 8 miles out of London without any issues, then when doing about 40mph on the M4 just cruising along (not accelerating or anything), running on LPG the MIL light came on, no noticeable loss of power or poor running.

I got home and have just checked again with INPA, it now seems we have 5 completely new errors since the LPG conversion work:
    Lambada control tolerance bank 1
    Burning fail Cylinder 5
    Burning fail Cylinder 6
    Burning fail Cylinder 4
    Lambada Probe heating upstream sensor 1

and the original Lambada Probe heating upstream sensor 2 has come back.

So, I called the garage and they said to bring it back first thing tomorrow and they will take a look. Based on these above what do you guys thing? Air leak in the manifold or something? Or could it be the system set to too rich/lean? I've checked the adaption values and have this: bmw-20140212-2.pdf

BMW-20140212.pdf

BMW Master
    Car Details
    BigiE's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    I cleared the adaption settings last night and drove 100 miles this morning from cold, no errors to note. It could have just been a case of needing for things to settle down. I'll be keeping an eye on it though.
    The good news is I've reduced my daily travelling costs from £42 per day to £29 now.

Administrator
    Car Details
    Ian S's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Loon
    Thanks
    You're bound to get a few teething issues.

Clearing the error codes to get a clean read is the way forward. You don't know whether the codes were cleared after the mapping of the LPG system.

If you keep on getting errors, then run the car on petrol for a few hundred miles and see what errors still occur.

BMW Master
    Car Details
    BigiE's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Yep, went to the garage on Thursday morning and had a chat and they took a good look. They found a sort of cap/pipe connected to the inlet manifold had just got old and split, I suspect that it was letting in air. They fixed it up and it was fine. I drive home 100 miles and no issues now. The only code logged is to say it's running a bit rich but I think they can deal with that when it has it's 1000 mile service/check up. I'm very happy so far.

11. BMW 316ti Compact just converted to Autogas LPG 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    davindersangha's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    316i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Compact

Thanks
    Just had mine converted by a chap near Newcastle Airport. It's an Italian OMVL system. Will update with fuel savings soon. Previously, I spent £40 and got around 300 miles out of it.

WP_20150709_18_22_46_Pro.jpgWP_20150709_18_21_43_Pro.jpgWP_20150709_18_21_17_Pro.jpgWP_20150709_18_22_19_Pro.jpg

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123