BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

Im intrested in 330d bout 52plate need advise

Tags
52plate bout
2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  shiku84 
#1 ·
Hey was wondering if you can help me out, thinking about buyin a 330d and playing with it abit. I have a focus 1.8 tdci the now and its pretty much at its limits power wise as there seriously restricted :( so wanting more fun

Can anyone tell me the diameters of the in and out pipes on the intercooler?? i have a large fmic sitting about which would be ideal to fit on for abit more power

Thinking about the fmic, custom exhaust system, re-map and ram air feed, What else is possible??

Also what is achievable from the 330d tuning wise??

Also is there common problems i should keep a look out for??

#2 ·
common to all E46's is problems with the suspension...check the car tracks smoothly with no pulling or jolts through the steering wheel on your test drive.
another big problem is with the swirl flaps on the diesel engines...no derv expert so will leave that to others to advise ;)

#3 ·
The problem on the E46 D in regards to the swirl flaps if you are getting an earlier version 186 bhp i think they don't have any flaps but if you are going for the 206 bhp one from 2002-04 they have the swirl flaps and make sure they have been changed or change them your self. Cos if not it will cost you near 7g for a new engine or 3g for a used one. So make sure you change the flaps if you get one. Otherwise i think they are solid. I have a 320d se but i am sure the 330 is even better. And if you decide you want a remap i am sure you can get another 20bhp and better economy pending on the mileage your car has.Good luck

#4 ·
I did a search on tuning boxes for the 330d and some are comin up with gains of almost 50bhp is this true??

And what are swirl flaps?? and how much and how easy are they to change??

My dads got a 02 plate 330csi but its only got somethin like 25k so isnt experiensing any problems with tracking/steering etc

#5 ·
IMO don't go down the tuning box route, they simply raise the fuel pump pressure which can cause major problems, take a look at the approved Tuners in the Forum Vendors section,
their work is well documented and will always answer any questions you may have.

Swirl Flaps are designed to increase Torque and aid emissions at low revs, unfortunately a very small percentage have broken and been ingested into the engine.
Rebuilds costing several thousands are not uncommon, if you remove them you remove the risk. £36 for blanking plates plus approx £150-£200 labour.

hth

#6 · (Edited)
If going for a Auto gearbox then be aware that these have been known to go at around the 80K mark. Also do a visual inspection of the inlet manifold for any cracks.
As for the intercooler I don't think that what you have will fit. Allard make a bigger IC for the 330D with slimline electric fans. This is due to the area where the IC fits is narrow.
Gains wise from a remap you should be looking at 40-45bhp depending on who you go to.
If you want any more power then the Turbocharger, exhaust system, intake system, fuel injectors all need upgrading. Doing all this could see you with around 280-300bhp and a low bank balance! :frown
Best thing I have found is that a 335D engine will go in the e46. With this you're getting a 3.0l TWIN turbo engine producing around the 286bhp to start with, then a remap on it will bring this power up to about 340bhp and 700Nm! It's a more viable option than upgrading a 330D engine bit and pieces. It's all a matter of how far you want to go and how much money you have to play with.
Sorry if this isn't what your after here or if i've just gone over the top but you did ask about getting more power! :hihi
Oh and don't forget the brakes are worth uprating if you fancy stopping FAST!
p.s forgot to say that you would need the ECU also from the 335D.

#7 ·
god damm that 335d engine sounds like a monster lol

DEF wouldnt go for a auto sorry there lazy motors never drove one never will, please dot turn this into a debate on how autos drive etc im not intrested :D

Take it all of the above parts (Turbocharger, exhaust system, intake system, fuel injectors) all are available and wont need custom made??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.