If you do something to the egr valve will it increase the power on E36 2.5 td

Notices

Thread: If you do something to the egr valve will it increase the power on E36 2.5 td

Reply to Thread
  1. If you do something to the egr valve will it increase the power on E36 2.5 td 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    325td_2009's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325td
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Some one has told me if you do something to the egr valve from the outlet manifold it will improve the cars power is this true?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    bimmer man's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    323i M-Tech
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    the egr is the exhaust gas recirculation valve, you can howerver on some cars, I definatly know that you can do it on land rovers and old vauxhall disels, open up the turbo to allow it to boost higher more pressure before the wast gate opens, but wouldn't recomend it as it will destroy the turbo as they are not meant to run much past standard boost, get it remaped would be safer

RYM
    Legendary BFuk Member
    Car Details
    RYM's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325tds
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,935 Times in 3,119 Posts
    You can by-pass the EGR valve that is bolted to the INLET manifold. This prevents the heat from the exhaust getting into the combustion chamber. You can buy specially made units on Ebay for around 50 quid.

I've not heard much feedback on whether or not they work though. Also, if you diesel has a cat then it is advised that you remove that as it is not an MOT requirement and strangles power

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    doug1234's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    525tds
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    auto
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    On the e34 tds the dodge is to undo the two bolts that hold the flange over the pipe where it meets up with the egr valve on the inlet manifold and then slip a new 1p or 2p piece in there and bolt it back up.The 'new' coins are made from steel so will take the heat.This is mostly done to cure lazy egr valves that stick open or close slowly.I found a 2p a better fit in mine.Now if your egr sticks open or closes slowly what happens is the car loses most of its low down power,because although the turbo is shoving in plenty of air the exhaust gas is getting shoved into the engine through the egr valve so therefore giving less clean air for good combustion.Once the turbo's boost overcomes the exhaust gas pressure going in and the exhaust gas flow through egr is reduced then the power comes back in from the engine,this usually occurs around about or just before 4k rpm when power comes in with a big kick.On the m51 td and tds blocking off the egr will only see an improvement in power if the egr was faulty in the first place.Some owners just block them off anyway even if working fine as this stops all the muck coating up the inlet manifold.With the cat a good dodge is to remove it and cut a square flap out of the top and just hack the insides out then weld it back up,the cat goes back on the car and performance is just the same as having a straight pipe replacement with out the cost of the bypass pipe

7. The Following User Says Thank You to doug1234 For This Useful Post:

RYM (30-05-2009)

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    markysurf's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    316I COUPE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    MANUAL
    Car Body Type:
    COUPE
    Thanks
    On all 3 of my Diesel HILUX SURFS that ive owned it was recommended to block off as to lower Emmisions. No Power gain though.
    1 LIFE, LIVE IT!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to markysurf For This Useful Post:

RYM (31-05-2009)

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    jimm love's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325tds se
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    the de-cat is a good way to go, iv made my own, the difference is notable and it passed its mot emissions without it! the tester said that its was one of the lowest readings he had seen for a while, makes you wonder why diesels av em!!