BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

Help making my E36 316i go faster

8K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  DSK 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello,
I own a e36 compact 316, and due to me having crashed several cars and have 9 points on my license for speeding, the largest engine i could get insured on is a 1.6.
Please try not to laugh, the engine size is a p**sy size, but i'm not aloud anything bigger, at least not for the next year or so.
Could any body help in suggesting ways of drastically increasing the power output of my little beast, i was thinking maybe twin webers or anything at all really.

Please , please help.
Any suggestion would be gratefully appreciated.

DW.

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello,
I own a e36 compact 316, and due to me having crashed several cars and have 9 points on my license for speeding, the largest engine i could get insured on is a 1.6.
Please try not to laugh, the engine size is a pussy size, but i'm not aloud anything bigger, at least not for the next year or so.
Could any body help in suggesting ways of drastically increasing the power output of my little beast, i was thinking maybe twin webers or anything at all really.

Please , please help.

DW.
If you`ve got 9 points for speeding and crashed cars b4 do you really wana car that goes really fast?:rofl :rofl :rofl
I got banned for dangerous driving for 2 n a half years so I had a sh**ty car for a year after that year with no claims or points my insurance came right down, I`d just w8 it out m8

#3 · (Edited)
Hello,
Please try not to laugh, the engine size is a pussy size, but i'm not aloud anything bigger, at least not for the next year or so.
Could any body help in suggesting ways of drastically increasing the power output of my little beast, I was thinking maybe twin webers or anything at all really.

Please , please help.

DW.
Not being funny or anything but learning to drive safely would be a good start :thumbsup

The only thing you can realistically do to get a 316 to be 'fast' is to do an engine transplant :shifty:

But they are still a great car....and you could go for improving the cars looks to start with and then when your insurance comes down you could then do an engine swap....

Passing your advanced test will reduce your insurance as well....

how old are you by the way?

#7 ·
Not being funny or anything but learning to drive safely would be a good start :thumbsup

But they are still a great car....and you could go for improving the cars looks to start with and then when your insurance comes down you could then do an engine swap....
I agree with bootist's first comment!!
Ditto.

There's MORE than enough idiots on the road as it is, without advising another (clearly dangerous) one on how to soup up his car. I get the honest feeling we'd all be safer (and I include yourself in that) if you were off the road altogether. Sorry!

#4 ·
Not much you can do to the 316 engine wise. I'd probably concentrate on it's handling. I would recommed a set of Eibach springs as a good start.

A 316 compact isn't that bad, I should imagine it would be nippy and fun to throw around. Doesn't it share a lot of the rear suspension setup with the E30? Actually, would an E30 LSD fit as that could be a fun mod?

#10 ·
I'm afraid i'm with all the others...

I've not been an angel in the past. When I was young and stoopid I found myself driving with HAWK eyes due to having my driving license endorsed with 11 penalty points.

I opted for a smaller engine car until the points came off and personally I would advise you stick with the engine size you have and perhaps work on the cosmetics, ice and suspension if it's of interest to you.

One more incident and you'll be without a license and that would not be good news.

Don't get me wrong... I love a good blast but I always have in mind that there is a time and a place.

Whatever choice you make I will try to assist...

If you're looking for power gains then the only route to go is to have a larger capacity engine. When modding beemers you'll find that you have to spend alot of £££'s and in return you'll notice very little BHP gains.

There are two choices you have... Like me you could concentrate on all the other areas and then when the points come off do an engine transplant...

Or, you could hold out and buy a beemer with a larger engine.

Hope this helps mate:thumbsup

#13 ·
your insurance company insisted on a 1.6?
you want to mod it to 2 litre speed,say?
...next time you overcook it your insurance will be nullified unless you've declared those mods...if you declare them your ins.co. will tell you to put it back to std.
spend your money on nice wheels and loud ice mate ;)

#16 ·
I'm not going bother with the 9 points for speeding but, the fact you state you have crashed 'several' doesn't sound impressive ...........

As others have said, a BMW 1.6 is pointless spending money on to make it faster. The only options are to swap the engine which I assume you cannot do for insurance purposes. May be consider a non BMW 1.6 vehicle, something ike an older late 80's/early 90's 1.6 hot hatch?

To be honest I personally wouldn't even bother spending money on the suspension or looks either, simply as the car should handle reasonably well as it is and when you come to sell it a clean, straight 316 will be more attractive and you won't loose any money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.