Green Cotton Filter or K&N Filter? - Page 3

Notices

Thread: Green Cotton Filter or K&N Filter?

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    fireytj's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E61 520d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    I have had a K&N filter on loads of cars over the years and HAD one on my 520d until last week.
    I changed for a standard filter and the results were really good. From the get go there is more torque and smother acceleration, so I had this explained to me the other day and see if you think it seems right.

BMW make a diesel motor with a standard air filter the size at which is flow rated to the power and pull of the flow of air required for the optimum smooth running of the car.
    Then they create an inter cooler again which is sized to match the rate of flow of gas through it. Its job is to cool the flow of gas so the motor can burn it again at the optimum temp, thus more power and efficiency.
    Right if we put a bigger or less restrictive filter in the air box it will allow more air in. The ecu will compensate for this a bit by fueling more but the inter cooler is still the same size. So the bigger volume of gas passing by the inter cooler can not be cooled at the same rate as a standard flow of gas so is warmer and less efficient so the motor makes less power.
    I have found this with changing back to a standard filter. Having this explained to me made me try it, and the motto ere is with modern diesel motors standard filters seem to be best. This may not apply to petrol engines. Does this sound right to you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    greyhoundni's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330d sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    man
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    Surely tho does that not mean that the intercooler is already working at its maximum capacity, with no allowance to fluctuate? I'd have thought the intercooler would be made to deal with a lot more than standard flow?

4. Green Cotton Filter or K&N Filter? 
    BMW Master
    Car Details
    BMW IOW's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Me to mate. These cars are built with huge tolerances to work all over the world at both very low and high temps. We don't get extreems in the UK so I imagine the cooler will only be running at about 50%-60% capacity.

e46 330Ci - with some extra goodies

"Members Projects" Junkie

"Menace II Society"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123