BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

E60 - 2007 - 520D - 163BHP - Remap Advice.

14K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  SteveH520D 
#1 ·
Hi, I am relatively new to the forum and have seen some threads concerning remaps. My 520D has covered 95k trouble free miles for me since new and has, to date, always been serviced by BMW dealers. It's coming out of extended warranty very shortly, and I am considering a remap. I've looked at various companies that seem to charge between £200 - £300 for a remap, but I have no genuine feedback on which are the best in terms of quality of product, service, reliability, etc.

I previously had a (petrol) car superchipped and then encountered a whole raft of issues a number of years ago. These could well have been completely unrelated to the performance enhancements. But, it's left a concern in my mind.

So, can anyone recommend from experience a top quality, reputable remap company. And, after a remap, should I be able to continue with my BMW's excellent present reliability (fair wear and tear taken into account obviously).

I've been led to believe that BHP gains of 20 - 30 are possible and there are some potential MPG improvements. I do not mind travelling to the right place, and often spend my working week in Yorkshire, West Midlands and Warwickshire.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this posting.

See less See more
#2 ·
About 35bhp would be my average, but it is by no means the maximum.
70-80+ would be possible with other mods like decats / dpf -off and intercoolers, so it's more of a case of going to a reliable point that doesn't start to need hardware changes.

I'm not far away in Birmingham, and I can even come to you if needed, and you'd have everything done, including diagnostic scans in about 2 hours.

#4 ·
Thank you very much for the advice. I contacted my insurance company (ADMIRAL) yesterday to find out how much the premium on my multi-car policy would increase by and they refused to insure any car with a remap. Point blank, no exceptions! To come out of the policy and reinsure with a company who know what they are talking about will incur penalties and admin fees (from ADMIRAL), so it looks as though I will have to wait until this present annual policy expires before looking again at the remap option. Many thanks again though for your prompt replies and information. Steve.

#7 ·
I did mention about economy and emission improvements and all my insurance company were interested in was BHP increase. They seemed oblivious to the fact remaps were an evolution over chips, and I won't be using this insurance company again. Having previously owned a car which was fitted with a superchip and was written off when a lorry went into the back of it, I was glad I informed my insurance about the modification, hence have always steered on the side of caution about divulging any mods...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.