e46 330i back box into a e36 328i shall I? and powerflex banging noise?

Notices

Thread: e46 330i back box into a e36 328i shall I? and powerflex banging noise?

Reply to Thread
  1. e46 330i back box into a e36 328i shall I? and powerflex banging noise? 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    BMWPOWER4EVER's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e46 330 SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    Hi guys, was clearing my garage out today and found my e46 330i backbox, was thinking of installing it in my e36 328i? What do you guys think?
    I cant afford to buy an aftermarket exhaust so was thinking putting this on since it seems bigger than the 328's std backbox, was wondering whether it would just add extra weight and give me a better sound? or just extra weight; any input would be appreciated.

Well on another note Im having a bit of a problem after I changed my rear trailing arm bushes to powerflex ones, the car developed a massive banging noise and thud everytime i went over a bump or in general driving after installing the powerflex bushes. I think maybe coz the front trailing arms stiffened and all the vibrations etc are being transfered to the other old bushes which are probably worn and knackered. Put the car up on a lift today and my mate reckons the top trailing arm bushes have a massive play and maybe theyre making the noise. Any of you guys experienced any problems like this after installing the rear trailing arm bushes to powerflex ones.

Many thanks and have a good day.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Banned
    Car Details
    Ferret's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330Ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,639 Posts
    For the exhaust, i've had a look on RealOEM, and the 2 pipes that join to the center section look alot shorter.

Best thing to do would be to slide the 330 box under the car, and compare them.

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    rumpleforeskin's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330ci m-sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    auto
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,873 Times in 1,392 Posts
    if your 330 exhaust is in good nick flog it on ebay, saw one go for a 1'ner the over week, then fit a m3 evo system, again if your patient theyll come up on ebay as m3 owners upgrade, this is what i had on my 328 and it sounded awesome, no real power difference but id imagine it would work well with a m50 manifold

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    BMWPOWER4EVER's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e46 330 SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rumpleforeskin View Post
    if your 330 exhaust is in good nick flog it on ebay, saw one go for a 1'ner the over week, then fit a m3 evo system, again if your patient theyll come up on ebay as m3 owners upgrade, this is what i had on my 328 and it sounded awesome, no real power difference but id imagine it would work well with a m50 manifold
    Thanks very much for that great advice. Did it sound louder & deeper with the m3 exhaust? what was the difference in sound compared to the std 328i exhaust?
    Last edited by BMWPOWER4EVER; 12-03-2011 at 23:53. Reason: forgot a question

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    rumpleforeskin's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330ci m-sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    auto
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,873 Times in 1,392 Posts
    sorry for the late reply, yes it sounded much louder and deeper, lookede better to with those round twin pipes, everything fits manifolds and all, by for the best thing i did to my 328, only thing is the fuel consumption shot up as i put me foot down more, only thing is you need heavyer exhaust mounts cos the evo system is stainless and heavier, i used the 328 mounts at first and replaced them as they failed, dont get a 3.0 one as the lambda sensor is on the cats, make sure its the 3.2, it all depends on whats about on ebay, for example my cat back bit cost me 60 quid, but ive seen them going for 150, also its worth polishing the tips, they come up well