BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

E46 330d - Pre map mods and recommended midlands mappers

13K views 24 replies 5 participants last post by  bwchiptune 
#1 ·
Bought a 2001 E46 330d today and want to up the power.

I'm not talking about silly, clutch wrecking, diff shredding power, just a decent torque increase and more punch. I'd also like to hear the exhaust grunt a bit more.

I'm no virgin to tuning cars, i've modded almost everything i've owned BUT i've never modded a DERV or a BMW!

The usual route i'd go would be de-cat, exhaust, panel filter or induction kit then a decent mapping session, is it the same for dervs?

I'm based inbetween Nottingham and Leicester so i'm looking for a midlands mapper please. I've heard that R-tech in Hinkley are good, anyone else used them?

I'll also be looking for suspension upgrades, a shorter gear shift and any upgrades that are available from later models that fit the E46 (suggestions welcome).

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to reply. Cheers Stu :thumbsup

#7 ·
thanks chap, i've read about the egr delete but have no idea what the advantages are or how to do it (i'm sure theres a how to somewhere).

I would come to you, is it worth mapping a standard car tho? would I notice a difference?

Only decats i've ssen are around £130=150, is that the going rate?

Sorry for all the questions, typical noobie!

#8 ·
EGR deletes keep your intake manifold cleaner, and some people get a better response from the engine.
Checking and getting rid of swirl flaps if fitted, and making sure you have a "vortex" type crank case breather is up on the list too.

Diesel remaps make a big difference, and it's not just the BHP, it's the delivery too, it'll transform the car.

I think you'd be about right on the decat pipe prices unless anyone else posts up better deals.

#17 ·
Cheers for the info lads, question for you.

Are those remap figures on a standard 330d? If I do the egr delete, decat and filter is that likely to make a significant difference? What can I do to get the torque up as I'm not really that bothered about bhp. I want low down punch rather than top end power. Bhp is nice, if you drive at a ton plus and want top end speed, but I want track car power, low down, out of the corners grunt.

#19 ·
Hi lads, i'm still scratching my head over this mapping malarky.

I've come from the land of the Impreza, where adding things like a de-cat, better injectors, air filter etc and having a map/tweek usually results in a taylored map for the car and better results. Is this not the case with the BMW diesel?

Seems a lot of mappers I've heard from will basically sell me an upgraded "safe" map to improve performance but not necessarily allow for any upgrades like a de-cat etc, which makes me think that adding these sort of mods isnt worth it. I like tuning, modding and getting the best from my cars and am willing to do the required mods to get it to a decent level.

I'm worried that if I go to the cost and effort of doing a de-cat, egr delete, K n N and intake flap removal that i'm not going to see much benefit than if I just took the standard car to a mapper. Can someone tell me if theres likely to be a significant or noticable difference by doing these mods and if the mapper will take them into account. Does anyone have some example figures of a standard vs mapped vs modded and mapped 330d?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to get it right. I dont mind spending the ££ but dont want to waste time and effort on things that make little difference.

#20 ·
Jap pertol cars work on max timing advance that's why you have to change intakes exhaust and then retune them to get more
I've been out in asia many times to tune german cars over the years

You are talking about tuning a bmw diesel which are completely different to petrol cars
The above mods in previous are to help make the diesel engine more reliable
Then the most power you are going to get from these are to remap them
Just look at the dyno graphs I have posted
Look at the extra torque it will make
This is what makes these diesels go

If you then want more power then you will need to run more boost
so bigger turbo a bigger inter cooler if the intake temps go to high and poss bigger injectors if more fuel is needed which will need to be remapped on the dyno

#21 ·
Right lads, I've fitted a K&N filter and have the £ for a remap (Up to £250) so heres the question. Do I go for a remap now, then maybe add a decat at a later date (will I need another map, or just a tweek?), or do I wait and get the decat 1st?

I've seen that SP Tuning in Hinkley are doing 10% off in December, meaning a map would be £225 and their site quotes my 330d as gaining 30bhp and 90nm. Some of the other mappers are quoting up to 45bhp gains and nearly 500nm on a standard car, with prices varying from £225 to £265.

I'd just like value for money, but also a good map. Decisions decisions

#24 ·
The power should be variable from any remap, I know you can get to over 280-290bhp with the original turbo and intercooler on the 204bhp, but it is severely pushing it.
With any diesel tuning, unless there is a hardware "block", ie. a component pushed up to the maximum, there should always be room for more power, but it is knowing when to stop that is important.

#25 ·
K&n filter is a waste of time on these

Your 184bhp 330d will go up to 375ftlbs and 230bhp which will be reliable
This is on a dyno dynamics rolling road

If you then put you car on another
make of dyno to test it again you will see more some times 15-20bhp and 15-20ftlbs more

The other mods will not improve the power much

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.