e46 323 with 328 engine, still running 323 ecu.. what shall i do regards mapping.. - Page 2

Notices

Thread: e46 323 with 328 engine, still running 323 ecu.. what shall i do regards mapping..

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BMW Guru
    Car Details
    E36Coupe328's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328 + 325
    Year of Manufacture:
    1995 + 1994
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,089 Times in 956 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McGoo 69 View Post
    Fair shout i suppose didnt wanna do this as its extra cost but i suppose itll help so i have a refrance for when it does get mapped..

Rolling roads vary a lot so without a reference point on the same rollers you don't know if you are getting anything or nothing for your money.

Whether it's running right is anyone's guess. However, it really depends how far the original maps go.

Basically if it has enough leeway it will still be metering air and adding fuel accordingly and trying to rationalise that with lambda when possible.

No warranty of any kind implied or given and no liability for any loss, damage or injury, no matter how incurred accepted.

Free Gas Kit* now fitted to free 328*

*Based on ROI period exceeded

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    APtuning's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e46 330D sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    auto
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    I have now passed on Mcgoo_69 details, so keep us posted on this please to see how things turn out.

BMW Master
    Car Details
    godzilla200sx's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 323i SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    whats the cost of this specific engine swap (323i-328i) i have a 323i and love the car just wish it had a little more power in it, id rather fit a new engine than buy another e46 that could be a dog.

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    McGoo 69's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    3 series
    Year of Manufacture:
    any
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    i paid 300 for a m52tu 2.8 and fitted it myself and replaced appropritate parts where needed along with a good service etc

seems to be a grey area regards mapping

as it is it runs realy well, but sometimes onces its reonised the engine is different i get a emmisions light pop up and then sometimes it runns funny. all i have to do is reset the ecu and it runs great again..

now speaking to jason (fks contacts) he recons i need to be using the 2.8 sensors rather than the 2.5 ones..

ive tried to use as much of the 2.5 parts as possible to keep the wiring and vaccum hoses correct to suit my 323. orignaly i got told that all the sensors are the same so it doesnt matter but jason seems to think that the sensors are matched to the size of the engine even though part numbers are the same.

i dont want to go through the hassle of changing the sensors if it doesnt sort out the running issues..

im in limbo atm, im deffinatly going to get my ecu reflashed to the 2.8 soft ware and see how that goes.. if its still abit funny ill have to swap the sensors :(

wont be a for a few weeks as im skint lol

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    McGoo 69's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    3 series
    Year of Manufacture:
    any
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    i paid 300 for a m52tu 2.8 and fitted it myself and replaced appropritate parts where needed along with a good service etc

seems to be a grey area regards mapping

as it is it runs realy well, but sometimes onces its reonised the engine is different i get a emmisions light pop up and then sometimes it runns funny. all i have to do is reset the ecu and it runs great again..

now speaking to jason (fks contacts) he recons i need to be using the 2.8 sensors rather than the 2.5 ones..

ive tried to use as much of the 2.5 parts as possible to keep the wiring and vaccum hoses correct to suit my 323. orignaly i got told that all the sensors are the same so it doesnt matter but jason seems to think that the sensors are matched to the size of the engine even though part numbers are the same.

i dont want to go through the hassle of changing the sensors if it doesnt sort out the running issues..

im in limbo atm, im deffinatly going to get my ecu reflashed to the 2.8 soft ware and see how that goes.. if its still abit funny ill have to swap the sensors :(

wont be a for a few weeks as im skint lol

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    vauxfan's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325 sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    loon
    Thanks
    read post 10 and see what you think. http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...803&highlight=

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    McGoo 69's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    3 series
    Year of Manufacture:
    any
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    i know ive seen it before

my mate is sure he can do it and says it only takes 5minuites so i have no reason to doubt him

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    vauxfan's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325 sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    loon
    Thanks
    i know ive seen it before

my mate is sure he can do it and says it only takes 5minuites so i have no reason to doubt him
    ok, let us know how you get on, but if he is as good as you say and he can do things like that with a second hand dme then i am supprised he cvan't just do a simple job like re flashing the 323 to the 328 software lol

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    bmwmike's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530i msport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Slusher
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    .. jason seems to think that the sensors are matched to the size of the engine even though part numbers are the same.
    Huh?? If the part numbers are the same, its the same part - i.e., identical. I'd get another Jason before swapping any parts.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bmwmike For This Useful Post:

vauxfan (20-01-2011)

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    TheEnd's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 2,440 Posts
    The idea behind that is to swap everything over, and leave nothing to chance.
    There have been plenty of half-done conversions that never run right afterwards based on something seemingly minor that wasn't transferred across.
    With regards to the ECU, it's unlikely to be a simple reflash/remap using a file from a 2.8, it will need proper recoding.

Most of the ECUs have information in them to run various different models and types, and the correct one is coded like flicking dip switches to select which map set is to be used.
    BMW have been doing this for a while to avoid needed to stock large amounts of ECUs, when one type can be coded to work with engines.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12