Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Compact
    Images
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,054 Times in 726 Posts
    The VNT allows pretty much seamless, transitional between boost required versus need to dump, so its smoother than conventional - picture foot off throttle with conventional, wastegate opens, boost dumped, then foot to floor gotta rebuilt the boost which is more lag, the VNT bridges the transitions. They work exactly the same of course, just how to manages boost/dumping out the exhaust. The stock turbos run at something like 32psi at full boost, thats a lot of boost considering a petrol turbo will often desire half that boost for same effect, versus the derv which you can up the boost without paranoia due to the steel construction versus alloy.

In the diesel, keeping in mind how different it is from a petrol in basics, a remap affects a lot more easily, up the fuel flow in a derv and you'll get more power - and more black smoke, so to keep that balanced you want more air in too, the remap can tweak the timings, fueling and actuation of the turbo so they are all in sync with the new settings. The stock turbo is pretty solid and you can unlock substancially more power for a lot less money by starting with the remap option - definately consider that before throwing money at the turbo, you'll get instantly more power and efficiency for a lot less money Thats why a lot of diesels smoke a lot more after a remap - increased fuel related to no balancing increase in air.

Theres a reason these torque monster machines smoke like a fooker, everythings turned up to bugger

Thinking back to what I personally would do if going for significantly more power, I'd be considering adding a supercharger before I thought about changing the turbo, and would use the supercharger to reduce the lag of the big assed mental turbo I'd be sticking on. But now you're entering the realm of stage 3 tuning, great power but need to expect a consequence in the form of reduction of reliability and endurance of components. Can turn into a serious money pit.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    midnightclub's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 330ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Well on my current car i've managed a 60bhp increase in power over stock with nothing more added than a FMIC and a decent map with increased boost, I wouldn't bother thinking about a supercharger when the latest generation VNT's can make plenty of boost at low RPM's.. Boost pressure isn't everything which is why i would prefer a larger turbo but with a lower pressure, causes less stress on the engine but provides more power.

If i'd be running into clutch troubles after a stage 1 remap though that's not sounding very promising, guessing the price for a decent clutch will be a fair whack.

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    TheEnd's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,988 Times in 2,440 Posts
    BMW clutches are pretty strong. VAG for example do tend to "minimum spec" them meaning that you will often see other stages where a clutch change is needed.
    The 32psi mentioned above is absolute pressure (circa 2.2 bar) which is 1.2 bar of boost.

Boost on a diesel works in a different way to petrol engines. A petrol engine has a narrow range of Air:Fuel ratios which is must stick to. If you don't want power (at idle for example) you must limit the air with the throttle.
    If the ECU only injects a small amount of fuel, the burning is unsustainable and the engine will misfire.

A diesel doesn't pre-mix the fuel and air, the air is compressed, and the fuel is then injected which burns during the injection period. So whilst you limit the air for power control on a petrol, you limit the fuel on a diesel.

If you increase the boost on a petrol car, the ECU responds by having to inject more fuel to get the right AFR, and you get more power. On a diesel, you can get to a situation where extra boost will sap power out of the engine as the fueling will remain the same but there is a turbo working harder blocking the exit of exhaust gasses.

You may get more power from more boost under some conditions, if the injection quantities were being clipped by the Lambda map (aka. smoke limiter), where there are calculations for a requested injection quantity but it is held back as there isn't enough air about for the engine to burn clean and smoke free, but in general, it is more fuel that makes power on a diesel, not more boost.

Premium Member
    Car Details
    matthew_henson's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E61 525d Touring
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring/Estate
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,411 Times in 1,222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightclub View Post
    Well on my current car i've managed a 60bhp increase in power over stock with nothing more added than a FMIC and a decent map with increased boost, I wouldn't bother thinking about a supercharger when the latest generation VNT's can make plenty of boost at low RPM's.. Boost pressure isn't everything which is why i would prefer a larger turbo but with a lower pressure, causes less stress on the engine but provides more power.

If i'd be running into clutch troubles after a stage 1 remap though that's not sounding very promising, guessing the price for a decent clutch will be a fair whack.
    To be honest I think you have picked the wrong car to tinker with, the better mapped derv option is the 330d but if you want real power the 330i with a bolt on Atlanta supercharger will be much better, you will need new injectors and a new map for that but it is an awesome setup and can be purchased second hand for the same kind of money as a performance turbo setup on a diesel.

See A new e46 330ci ACS Supercharged owner :) £6k for 300bhp

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    tailorbmw's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Images
    Thanks
    +1 with Matt.

The More you tinker with a 320d the more problems you will come across.

BMW 2003 320d Sport

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    midnightclub's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 330ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Cheers for the replies guys, Having been thinking about it quite a lot i don't think i'll bother with the 320d.. Have been spending a fair amount of time looking at the E46 325i's though but don't think they're very good on fuel realistically

8. 320td sport, 6 speed manual (I want more than just a remap) 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    steveoson111's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320td
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    compact

Images
    Thanks
    This is a really interesting subject which I am keen to monitor, I had a 320td with just a pipercross Air Filter and a remap it was superb but sold it on for profit and got the 325.
    I now have a 2004 320td sport (Compact) and I want extra performance however i don't want to do a remap until I have done other engine performance mods.

All I have heard of is a replacement exhaust flex pipe, pipercross/K&N. I cant seem to find anything else not even a back box.

Any ideas?
    Also would a bigger inter-cooler improve performance (then remap!)
    320td or 325ti which one are u? I have trouble deciding!

Authorised Bimmerforums UK Vendor
    Car Details
    bwchiptune's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    x5
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    auto
    Car Body Type:
    estate
    Thanks
    We remap these e46 320d 150bhp to 194bhp as in this dyno printout
    This is a standard car with no mods apart from our remap
    Attached Images

PERFORMANCE ECU TUNING(ALL CARS)FOR Bimmerforums MEMBERS
    CHIPPING AND REMAPPING
    Dyno Dynamics Rolling Road
    WORKSHOP REPAIRS(BMW,AUDI,VW,VAG,MERCS)
    TURBO,SUPERCHARGER TUNING
    ENGINE TRANSPLANT ECU CONVERSIONS
    CODING & PROGRAMMING,
    ECU REPAIRS & DPF,CAT REMOVAL
    REMAPPING TOOLS AND TUNED FILES AVAILABLE
    M5 F10 M6 F12/13 REMAPS £699
    WE HAVE NOW MOVED TO HAYES UB3 1BB
    www.bwchiptune.co.uk
    www.bwautorepairs.co.uk
    www.tuningtools.co.uk
    +44(0)7831 10 30 30
    +44(0)208 561 18 18

Premium Member
    Car Details
    matthew_henson's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E61 525d Touring
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring/Estate
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,411 Times in 1,222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steveoson111 View Post
    All I have heard of is a replacement exhaust flex pipe, pipercross/K&N. I cant seem to find anything else not even a back box.

Any ideas?
    Also would a bigger inter-cooler improve performance (then remap!)
    A straight through pipeis a good addition (if only because the kink in to the cat will affect gas flow) but don't waste you money on a air filter kit, stock is as good as it getes, also no point in a bigger intercooler, it will just introduce more turbo lag for no real gain in power

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Big_Si compact sport's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320td sport compact
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    hatch

Thanks
    My 320td sport, has Egr removal, swirl flaps done, removed down pipe fitted, custom back box, new vortex filter and pipercross filter. drilled and grooved discs just to make sure it stops
    Remapped last week from 152 to 202 bhp and enough torque to light the rears up in 3rd on a wet day....total cost of mods including map and RR £600 so dont bother with the new turbo, the standard one is more than adequate

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast