523 i SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Hi,

The gremlin on my car came back today, on the drive home the heater has gone cold (again) and i've lost the water (again). The car has had EVERYTHING cooling wise replaced so i've decided enough is enough and to strip the engine down to find out wtf is going on. Piont out the engine (in the time that i have owned it hasn't been overheated)

The engine will prob be out this weekend, i plan to totally strip it down and replace everything, the big ends, shell, piston rings etc etc.

I do this for a living so it's not a problem doing it, but we use "standard" stuff at work like KS pistons and Elring shells etc.

In the future i would maybe turbo the engine or supercharge it so when it's in bits im thinking of doing any prep work required like heavy duty shells etc.

The things i am certain on:

New bigs ends
    New conrod bearings
    New piston rings

I will be doing the headgasket obviously. I have used FAI gaskets on every engine i've ever built and never had an issue but are there any performance gaskets available ?

Im very keen on the idea of these head studs rather than headbolts, any comments on those ?

I would possibly (if available) replace the crankshaft and conrods/pistons with those from a 2.8 but i read something the other day about the Alpina being a 3.2 straight 6.... Would this be possible ?

Up top im looking at M3 US cams , will be replacing the timing chain/tensioner and guides too.

Random thought but this M3 engine mod you E36 guys do, would that carry over to an E39 ?
    E39 M inspired

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    kiwi328's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e36 328
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Do you have an m52 tu or the usual m52?
    If you plan on going forced induction you could swap out pistons as well to lower the compression or take the easier way and use a thicker head gasket. If you are set on forced induction i'd recommend using timeserts or helicoils in the block. This is because head studs have been known to rip out of alloy blocks.(Haven't yet found any photo evidence of this. But it seems like cheap insurance)
    You could use the alpina crank and rods but you'd need to resleeve the engine for the larger bore of the pistons. All is completely possible but at a price.
    A cheaper option would be to use an m54b30 crank, rods and pistons. Which should all drop in.
    If you have dual vanos the us m3 cams will not fit.
    Good luck. Would love to see as many photos as you can get of the rebuild

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Tiffster's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    523 i SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Im not sure, i didn't even know the M52 TU existed What's the diff ?

Im going to skim the block and head so WILL need a thicker gasket anyway, im not 100% set on forced induction it was just a thought that doing anything needed whilst it's in bits might be an idea.

To be honnest if i could up it to 2.8 or 3 litres and leave it but just have it solid so i can rev the tits off the thing i'd be very happy. It will be getting the M50 manifold whilst im at it etc.

I thought head studs solved the thread ripping out issue and it was headbolts that caused that ?

I build engines and can resleeve the engine myself, but whats the m54b30 ? A 3 litre ?

Single vanos engine i have.

Also injectors!
    E39 M inspired

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    alpina527's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffster View Post
    Im not sure, i didn't even know the M52 TU existed What's the diff ?

Im going to skim the block and head so WILL need a thicker gasket anyway, im not 100% set on forced induction it was just a thought that doing anything needed whilst it's in bits might be an idea.

To be honnest if i could up it to 2.8 or 3 litres and leave it but just have it solid so i can rev the tits off the thing i'd be very happy. It will be getting the M50 manifold whilst im at it etc.

I thought head studs solved the thread ripping out issue and it was headbolts that caused that ?

I build engines and can resleeve the engine myself, but whats the m54b30 ? A 3 litre ?

Single vanos engine i have.

Also injectors!
    You won't be able to sleeve the m52 lump. The Alpina used bigger pistons because it used an iron block.

The US 3.2 litre and Alpina 3.3 both use a standard M54 330i crank.

I would definitely look into doing the 3 litre crank rods and piston upgrade. They should drop straight in, but don't do it if you have a Nikasil block.

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Tiffster's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    523 i SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Why can't i sleeve an M52 ?

It's not a Nikasil - although i do have a spare 2 litre Nikasil engine. Dunno wtf i'll do with it.

Would a 2.5 ECU run a 3 litre ?
    E39 M inspired

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    alpina527's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffster View Post
    Why can't i sleeve an M52 ?

It's not a Nikasil - although i do have a spare 2 litre Nikasil engine. Dunno wtf i'll do with it.

Would a 2.5 ECU run a 3 litre ?
    The ecu will need to be mapped to suit the longer stroke.

M52 has 91mm cylinder spacing with 84mm sleeved bores in the later block. The sleeves have a 2.5mm wall thickness leaving 2mm between cylinders(figures from memory).

Boring an M50 iron block to 87mm is no problem and leaves a decent 4mm between the bores. This is what Alpina and the US M3 use

There just isn't the room to successfully sleeve the alloy m52 block to a much bigger bore. Far better off replacing the block with an m50 iron block

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Tiffster's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    523 i SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    I see.

The iron block is going to be substanially heavier though on the front. Something im not keen to do.

Any thoughs on this US M3 3 litre idea ? The S52 3 litre is just a tuned up M52 with an iron block correct ?

If i chucked in some 3 litre pistons/rods and a crank, US spec M3 cams, M50 manifold, mapped it accordingly what sort of power could i potentially be looking to get ?
    E39 M inspired

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Tiffster's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    523 i SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Any thoughts folks ?

Im going to start ripping it to bits this weekend.
    E39 M inspired

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    kiwi328's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e36 328
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    iron blocks are stronger. If you ever want to go fi in the future i'd go this way.
    yes you've got the s52 bit right but it's 3.2L
    I'd say you'd have the same sort of power as the us m3 folk
    Again good luck and hope to see plenty of pictures

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Tiffster's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    523 i SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Well i've done some thinking, i'm not going to go down the FI route, by utter chance i had an M50 block in last week and compaired to my alloy M52 block the weight difference is incredible. I wouldn't want that on the front end.

So the plan is to stick with my M52 head/block and swap out the crank/pistons/rods with some 3 litre ones - will the 3.2 ones from an S52 drop straight in ?

If i can find a set of US M3 cams i'll fit them too but they aren't easy to find.

ARP head studs.

Any recommendations on a head gasket ? I don't want to lower the compression. I use FAI gaskets at work but i think i'll be dropping them as a few cars are coming back with the gaskets failed

Elring make some good ones. ARP ?

An M50 inlet manifold and prob the exhaust system from a 528 so it's breathing better.
    E39 M inspired

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast